The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot the link, but there is no information how to make butt hold up all that riding, my butt gets sore after a hour most of the time, so certainly I'm not superhuman material :D
Amanda Coker - Wikipedia

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Now that's something interesting! My butt get hurt after 45 minutes...the last 90 min ride I did by 1 hour I was very uncomfortable- WITH padded shorts AND seat. Guess just takes time to build up...I used to do 3 hour rides as a teen and had to get off once every 30 min to give the bum a rest...I think one can build up endurance to ride all day but this is 2 or 3 year build..one doesn't just train a few weeks and then bam! This is long term goal...very impressive!! I haven't done any exercise-just wanted to comment..feel a cold coming on-so not sure I will make it to my bike ride today.=yesterday the wind was just tooo cold for me.. today supposed to be 45... we will see how I feel in a bit.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that's something interesting! My butt get hurt after 45 minutes...the last 90 min ride I did by 1 hour I was very uncomfortable- WITH padded shorts AND seat. Guess just takes time to build up...I used to do 3 hour rides as a teen and had to get off once every 30 min to give the bum a rest...I think one can build up endurance to ride all day but this is 2 or 3 year build..one doesn't just train a few weeks and then bam! This is long term goal...very impressive!! I haven't done any exercise-just wanted to comment..feel a cold coming on-so not sure I will make it to my bike ride today.=yesterday the wind was just tooo cold for me.. today supposed to be 45... we will see how I feel in a bit.
Technically even posting burns more calories than idling without lifting a finger, so I guess that counts? Positive thoughts :)

I have been riding something like 6 years now and still getting issues, after first 3 years it got better, but saddle and adjustment is very critical to get right.

I had very good setup, but it did not really worked well with aero position, so I changed it and now I'm getting again rubbing issues. Some claim that when they put vaseline they don't get rubbing issues, but I don't know what vaseline they mean, I know only thick bearing grease by name of vaseline and that burns fingers if you have it too long on fingers.

Cycle shops sell some different kinds of anti rub things, which might be something to try on if you trust them, for example never ever use any chemical from china on yourself, only use such if it is tested in EU or US.
There was news about girl who did order lipstick from China and her lips got really swollen and they leaked goo for weeks.

Hoping to go for a ride today, but don't really know where to as some paths are iced, some have very sharp gravel which is like glass, so that it cuts trough your tires. Maybe I switch to slow tires and go for shopping ride only, slow tires are puncture proof so there will be no issues with sharp things, however those weight over 1kg more than fast tires, that is each, so over 2kg / almost 8 pounds more weight is not what I really want, but I guess it can't be helped.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Today was an indoor workout.
Shoulder press
Squats
deadman lift
curls
push ups off table.

With various heavy weight tools and tubes full of material up to 25lbs. Felt good to get a good sweat on- I pushed myself- turned AC on 60 and fan ON. If I could build a full gym outside I would! The gym is always too darn hot for this gal.

Here's my inspiration- it's only sections of exercises=but I got some ideas to try at planet fitness.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka Zee, I installed new chainring to my bike today, only has about 1 hour of riding on it?
Only bike paths which have a pavement, did not ride anywhere else. So I just vacuum bike before next ride after all that dries up, because after next ride it is the same or worse.
upload_2018-4-10_20-48-35.png

foxxycat foxxycat I think it was 3 years or so after that pain went away, but it required new saddle (soft is not necessarily best) and finding best adjustment for it. One thing I noticed was that had to ride enough often, not so much of long rides but often, every day a little.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still doing my short daily walks around my neighbourhood. Nothing exciting like biking on treacherous icy roads, or climbing scenic mountains, or workouts at the gym. ;)

Some claim that when they put vaseline they don't get rubbing issues, but I don't know what vaseline they mean, I know only thick bearing grease by name of vaseline and that burns fingers if you have it too long on fingers.
I assume by Vaseline, they are referring to this:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still doing my short daily walks around my neighbourhood. Nothing exciting like biking on treacherous icy roads, or climbing scenic mountains, or workouts at the gym. ;)

I assume by Vaseline, they are referring to this:

Hmm, from some reason my browser is not wanting to show embedded amazon media.

Hey, you are keeping at it, doing the walks, so you are winning! :D

You can spice up your walks by taking camera with you and taking pics of new life coming to bloom, I did that when I started cycling, that motivated me to go bit further to see something new.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another link: What is Petroleum Jelly? What is Vaseline? | Vaseline

Good tip on the camera. Once it's warm enough to not wear gloves, I must do that. Yes, my roads may not be snow covered, (though they were Sunday night!!!) but it is still Canada, so it's still chilly by my standards. :D
Ah, thanks, I can find alternative to that I guess, company behind that specific product seems to have bit of ethics problem, so can't support that company:
Shoppers vow boycott of Unilever products including Marmite over pricing row

Regarding gloves and camera, modern day has modern solutions :D :
5V 1.5m USB Warmer Gloves Removable Heated Half Finger Gloves | Alex NLD

I'm almost always carrying a power bank with me, so have been considering something for my toes, there just is no space in my shoes which I use for cycling, so I would need something over the shoe and that would need to be completely water tolerant because at times it is like walking in a pool out there.

There is also this kind of gloves:
Dickies Half Finger Removable Cap Gloves/Mittens | eBay

They say next week has temps up to 20C, maybe that is wishful thinking, but afternoon it should be something like 5C to 8C which should finally allow me to ride without freezing my toes. Also it should be possible to remove bit of layers so I can actually cool off a bit on climbs without freezing at descents.

Also I need to buy rear rack to my bike, backpack on back is going to be too hot soon, so some better transportation option for all the food is needed.

Oh and 1 day with flatproof tires caused first flat of the season, I had only about 4 bars of pressure in my tires, but inner tube could not take that pressure. I need to find inner tube that is not stretching so much.

My innertube reads 26x1.75-2.5 that means it is good for 26" wheel and tire widths of 1.75-2.5" my tires are 2.2" wide, but clearly this tube is not handling even 2.2" too well. I guess something that starts closer to 2.2" would handle high pressure better as it does not need to stretch so much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never seen the heated half finger gloves before. Very cool. :thumbsup:

20C - I'm jealous. ;)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Trying again. I don't know what's wrong. It's really hard for me to get my butt back on the treadmill and I don't know why.

Tuesday -
2 miles on the treadmill (starting out slowly, so I don't do something stupid and hurt my legs or feet or thighs or......)
11,928 steps for the day - 6.21 miles

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying again. I don't know what's wrong. It's really hard for me to get my butt back on the treadmill and I don't know why.

Tuesday -
2 miles on the treadmill (starting out slowly, so I don't do something stupid and hurt my legs or feet or thighs or......)
Maybe you need a change? Can you turn treadmill 180 degrees around? :D
Cyclists have a Strava, where you get all kind of virtual places to ride on, like London etc. Not sure if treadmill would have such, but there should be something that allows one to see the world by walking, it would sell a millions, just imagine being able to walk great wall of China from your basement.

I did another ride, some pics:
upload_2018-4-11_19-25-20.png

Ooops, that was old shot I forgot to post, from two weeks ago I guess.

Now this is from today's ride, see there is a fly, it is useless blurry pic, but there is a fly resting on that highvisibility vest:
upload_2018-4-11_19-27-21.png

There is a sign which has plane on it, I guess it means you should try to spot a plane:
upload_2018-4-11_19-57-43.png

There is the plane, it is white spot on the sky, click image for better view (it will still be a tiny, this is frame from a video taken by action cam, 170 degree FOV is not so great for plane spotting):
upload_2018-4-11_19-58-27.png

There are kind of island of trees on fields, not sure why, anyway bigger pic looks somehow pretty:
upload_2018-4-11_20-0-9.png

Lots of trucks and they tend to be bigger than they used to be, they are now over 80 metric tons that is several 18-wheelers:
upload_2018-4-11_20-1-0.png upload_2018-4-11_20-5-13.png
upload_2018-4-11_20-9-23.png upload_2018-4-11_20-9-57.png

Then their tires go burst, such piece might weight more than 20kg, imagine that piece of steel and rubber flying off to your back at 80kph! First two are on snow, there were really lots of these:
upload_2018-4-11_20-11-10.png upload_2018-4-11_20-11-45.png
Sidewall of truck tire (semi tire in US I believe):
upload_2018-4-11_20-13-1.png

Reason to ride there is the speed you can maintain, it is really fast road, but also really busy.

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Tuesday -
:(
Sorry, I'm still pretty new around here, but are you recovering from an injury?

I threw out my back a few months ago, but thankfully, I'm starting to feel way better and getting back into the swing of things. For me, it's hard getting back into the good habits I had before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good to see you back again Winchester Winchester Maybe you do need a change. Spring's coming, maybe there is something else you could do instead of the treadmill?

jtbo jtbo I was excited to see my first fly of the year a few weeks ago too. One of my cats brought a lizard home the other day. That's a sure sign that it's getting warmer.

I've kind of lost track of the days this week. I had one day that was about 4 hours of yard work. We finally got the two big trees that I was worried about down. They were so rotten they shattered when they hit the ground, so I spent all afternoon clearing up the dead wood.

I have some bigger pieces in quite interesting shapes. I'm thinking of stripping the bark off, giving them a coat of wood preserver and making some kind of outdoor climbing/scratching post for the cats.

I'm hoping to get all the yard work done next week and get the deck painted, ready for outdoor yoga the week after that. It's almost warm enough in the middle of the day.

Come on sunshine!

:sunshine:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having best part of the year, lots of sunshine, temps up to 10C, no bugs, no pollen, just perfect for riding.

Today I did ride 100km in 4 hours and 41minutes.

Bought new bike computer, Polar M460, now altitude is much more accurate, you can see how I can keep up good speed on downhills and uphill is like hitting a wall, this is part of the that 100km ride, you thought I would ride slow and easy for that distance?:
upload_2018-4-13_17-39-31.png

I did try to go slow, at the beginning, but then horns grew up. At the end is city riding, which is constant stopping and accelerating.
upload_2018-4-13_17-44-8.png

So I burned over 4400 calories and that works out close to 1000 calories / hour, which is quite nice.

Bit over 6000 calories for today's total burn. Can you think of how many pizzas that would be? :p

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hike at the morning:
upload_2018-4-14_10-32-14.png
That first steep hill was knee deep snow, I did run downhill part of that as it got bit annoying to sink knee deep or bit more at every step. Scared some girl walking a dog as jumped over guardrail and sled down 2m tall hard snow bank that separates sidewalk and main road.

I'm not shy of parkour thing or whatever it is called.

At afternoon there will be shopping trip, so that is a bike ride, but I'm not sure what I should wear?
It might be too warm to wear middle layer, but then again downhills at shadow might be bit cold, also I need to bring backpack with me so if I don't put rack on bike that will make ride steaming hot with middle layer and probably without.

So if I put rack on bike and put backpack on that, then it might be again too cold without middle layer but still at sunny uphills it will be too hot.

That is I like it better below 10C, but when it goes enough above 10C it is T-shirt time.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like washing the bike, but thought I give it a go, so I took new fresh yellow sponge, like one on right and after bike was cleaned, sponge was quite black, that is one on left:
upload_2018-4-14_18-39-58.png

Bike is still more dirty than some member's bike when they are considering bike needs to be cleaned up, but at least you can kinda see original color again and even reflectors do reflect now:
upload_2018-4-14_18-42-46.png

Status
Not open for further replies.