The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I did some walking in the snow Blizzard, but as they don't plow until after snowing stops, there were ankle deep of snow, under that smooth ice, so it was kinda difficult to walk.
View attachment 225431

Here is fun fact for you, despite the blizzard, ice scream sellers were out there selling ice cream, only in Finland. Well, at least it does not melt too quickly :D
Hey don't knock it! Ice cream all year round is my motto! Especially drum sticks- those nutty buddy thingies.

IT was snowing yesterday morning so I didn't ride at lunch but did some half hearted attempt at exercises. Gym after work. 9 miles on their version of a bike, then 1.25 miles on elliptical machine. Using HIIT- short burst of energy 45 seconds followed by 15 to 30 sec rest or slower or whenever a fast song came on I had to go like heck!

Tonight I have to pay a bill and work on the book booth and if I have energy go do 30 min on the bike at the gym unless it's not raining here at lunch then take the bike out..and get a bike camera- jtbo jtbo I am jealous of your lovely rides! Hey I too pause at the top or halfway up hills to catch my breathe. I find I can get higher speed this way surprisingly.

That path looks like it needs a DIRT BIKE.... that would be FUN!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey don't knock it! Ice cream all year round is my motto! Especially drum sticks- those nutty buddy thingies.

IT was snowing yesterday morning so I didn't ride at lunch but did some half hearted attempt at exercises. Gym after work. 9 miles on their version of a bike, then 1.25 miles on elliptical machine. Using HIIT- short burst of energy 45 seconds followed by 15 to 30 sec rest or slower or whenever a fast song came on I had to go like heck!

Tonight I have to pay a bill and work on the book booth and if I have energy go do 30 min on the bike at the gym unless it's not raining here at lunch then take the bike out..and get a bike camera- jtbo jtbo I am jealous of your lovely rides! Hey I too pause at the top or halfway up hills to catch my breathe. I find I can get higher speed this way surprisingly.

That path looks like it needs a DIRT BIKE.... that would be FUN!
These tires you have to try at least once in a lifetime, they really transform bike to something awesome:
Continental | MTB Tyres 26" - folding Shop

Those were which I had on at that ride, they work perfectly at snow, but on pavement those really shine, incredible speed comfort and grip.

I have been looking for indoor trainers as outdoor riding is not always so great, Elite Qubo Power Fluid is currently what I'm considering, with sensors coupled to computer or tablet one can use that with Zwift software to do some virtual riding.
Costs a lot though, even it is best price/performance available in budget class.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Maybe next year...when the overtime slows down I will have time to try new tires.

Today the winds were blowing 10-12 mph S and got me to go 22-25 almost halfway on the flat area before the highway. Usually I get it around 14 to 18 mph through that stretch-the wind worked in my favor finally. Got to the fire station 3 minutes earlier than usual but that got eaten up on ride back-as wind was pushing against me..worked hard to keep it 9 to 12 mph... the hill was 4 to 7 mph...switching lots of small gears...

yay another half hour ride DONE.

I doubt I will go to gym tonight-usually 30 min is all I want a day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went for a 15 minute walk, then raked up my small front lawn. So total of almost 60 minutes activity.

The backyard is much bigger, so when I rake that up, I won't need to go for a walk first. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I went for a 15 minute walk, then raked up my small front lawn. So total of almost 60 minutes activity.

The backyard is much bigger, so when I rake that up, I won't need to go for a walk first. ;)
Raking is hard work! I've been doing a lot of that lately. It usually takes me 4 hours to rake up the whole enclosure, but I do it over 4 days because my arms get tired.

jtbo jtbo Climbing a tree with a chainsaw looks insanely dangerous! I'm glad our trees aren't that high. Mr Husband is a climber. He's climbed up the smaller trees to lop off dead branches before. I wonder if he'd be up for attempting the bigger ones?

:think:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raking is hard work! I've been doing a lot of that lately. It usually takes me 4 hours to rake up the whole enclosure, but I do it over 4 days because my arms get tired.
I know! I had a lot of moss, so was trying to rake it all out. Actually worked up a sweat, and it was only 6 C out there.

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really need to get my butt in gear. xc

Most of the week, I only walk to and from work. On the weekends, usually I just want to hide in bed and sleep.

Now that the nice weather is coming up, hoping to get out on the hiking trails!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

jtbo jtbo Climbing a tree with a chainsaw looks insanely dangerous! I'm glad our trees aren't that high. Mr Husband is a climber. He's climbed up the smaller trees to lop off dead branches before. I wonder if he'd be up for attempting the bigger ones?

:think:
They have a rope, just don't cut the rope and it will be fine, Just think about how cool you will look swinging with a rope while having a chainsaw :D

Maybe Mr. Husband will be motivated when looking more of advertising films like this:

That line of work is quite incredibly photographic.
Also bit of insane, considering that with all the machines today, human-ape still has to try to climb back to tree :D

Oh, raking is too hard for my body, like shoveling snow, but at least I still can ride bike on snow trails, that is where I'm going now.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did start riding at 8am and I was back home at 12pm, over 3000 calories did say bye bye, lot less than I was hoping for, but maybe I ride at evening too.

Did I mention that we got more of the white stuff?
tough_trails_beginning_of_April.jpg tough_trails_beginning_of_April_4.jpg

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions on activities that could be fun?

Usually I go to the gym, but even after a while, it starts to get really boring doing the same day to day workouts.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but any suggestions on activities that could be fun?

Usually I go to the gym, but even after a while, it starts to get really boring doing the same day to day workouts.
For me Gym is really really boring, for some people it works wonders though.

I find fun exercise being such where something happens, like chopping firewood, there is a result instantly with every swing, mountain biking has scenery changing and all that balancing makes it a lot more fun than doing precise repeats.

Badminton would be fun, however finding opponent is next to impossible, that needs also gear and some facility where to play.

Forest trail running is fun if one has fitness for that, it does require good balance and reflexes, running on slippery rocks and roots is hazardous if one does not have solid understanding of how weight transfer relates to grip and all that.
That is bit similar to walking on rope, have to kind of see the weight and shifts in weight.

Well, I kinda like to challenge brain at the same time as pushing the body, that way I guess exercise is not so boring.

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me Gym is really really boring, for some people it works wonders though.

I find fun exercise being such where something happens, like chopping firewood, there is a result instantly with every swing, mountain biking has scenery changing and all that balancing makes it a lot more fun than doing precise repeats.

Badminton would be fun, however finding opponent is next to impossible, that needs also gear and some facility where to play.

Forest trail running is fun if one has fitness for that, it does require good balance and reflexes, running on slippery rocks and roots is hazardous if one does not have solid understanding of how weight transfer relates to grip and all that.
That is bit similar to walking on rope, have to kind of see the weight and shifts in weight.

Well, I kinda like to challenge brain at the same time as pushing the body, that way I guess exercise is not so boring.
I really appreciate the suggestions! Thank you!!!
:thumbsup:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Kimbers36 Kimbers36 What else does your gym offer? Have you thought about taking up a martial art or a dance class? They can be fun.

Horse riding is great if you want something adventurous too.

Wednesday I spent about 3 hours working outside. I think there are going to be a lot of days this month where my exercise is "Gardening till you drop!"

Thursday I got up early and walked for an hour, then about an hour of light outdoor work, then 40 minutes yoga.

One hour of yoga this morning, then just an hour of outdoor work before the rain started.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I got up a bit earlier than I needed to this morning so I could do 30 minutes yoga before work.

Later this afternoon I took down a tree that had fallen and wedged in the tree next to it, cleared up the dead wood and repaired a hole in the fence.

Not a bad day!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Friday, we did a little 3 mile round trip ride to the farmers market. I bought some cookies so that pretty much cancelled out any benefit. :lol:

IMG_20180406_190727.jpg

Yesterday, we rode our bikes to downtown (2.5 miles one way with a hill, probably about 6 miles all together for the ride). Grab lunch at a delia, then rode around downtown before going home.

IMG_20180407_142447.jpg
IMG_20180407_120114.jpg

Today, we walked up the local mountain/hill that I normally do. But I went up the side that is steeper. I think it works out to a 3% incline on the longer side and closer to 5% on the shorter side. So up the shorter and down the longer. First photo is steeper and other two are longer.

IMG_20180408_082518.jpg
IMG_20180408_090056.jpg
IMG_20180408_084403.jpg

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bikes original color is blue, however it is more of tan right now, it seems to be always wet when I ride, hopefully summer has some dry days.

I have given up washing my bike, it will be same next day anyway, so quite envious of that clean bike of Kieka's :D

Today I did ride 58km which took 3 hours and 10 minutes.

And my shoulder did not like it, causes horrible muscle pains, can't even turn head or use mouse properly. As should joint is loose it somehow stresses muscles and then causes muscles getting really stiff and pulling etc. Quite horrible.

Kimbers36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kimbers36 Kimbers36 What else does your gym offer? Have you thought about taking up a martial art or a dance class? They can be fun.

Horse riding is great if you want something adventurous too.

Wednesday I spent about 3 hours working outside. I think there are going to be a lot of days this month where my exercise is "Gardening till you drop!"

Thursday I got up early and walked for an hour, then about an hour of light outdoor work, then 40 minutes yoga.

One hour of yoga this morning, then just an hour of outdoor work before the rain started.
They have step, Zumba, some other dance things. It's fun from time to time, but I also have no rhythm :'D

My friend signed us up for hot yoga next weekend, so I'm pretty excited to try that out!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you guys heard about Amanda Coker? She did ride over 100 000 miles in under 450 days with a bicycle between 2016 and 2017.

This is why you should never compare, my 2017 year looks so pathetic compared to hers, but at least I did climb almost the same amount with lot less distance, so I can always use that as an excuse? Her fitness is truly exceptional though, superhuman for sure, I can't even comprehend how to ride so much on bike:
upload_2018-4-9_20-55-56.png

I can't ride 400 miles in a week or even a two weeks, which she did ride in single day, I think it took 16 hours from her to ride over 400 miles, over 25mph average speed for 16 hours straight, it is impossible to comprehend.

With 40 miles I get so sore that I have to stop riding because of that alone, also I get quite tired too, so for me it will be a big if I can ride 100km some day, I doubt that will be non stop though.

I got 1st place from this year's leader-board with this effort, but soon some really fast guys will go faster there:
upload_2018-4-9_21-7-45.png

I'm still quite happy that after that distance I still could keep speed up for that segment, but I need lot more speed and endurance to be competitive, not sure if that ever happens though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My friend signed us up for hot yoga next weekend, so I'm pretty excited to try that out!
Hot yoga is good, but you get very sweaty! Don't forget to take water and a towel so you can dry off between poses.

;)

Beautiful pictures again Kieka Kieka I'm quite jealous of how pretty your bike looks too.

jtbo jtbo No, I've never heard of her, but that is impressive. Wow, she must have legs of steel to be able to keep that up.

:thud:

I did an hour of yoga and a 30 minute walk on Sunday, 90 minutes of yoga and 30 minutes bike ride yesterday. Today was 45 minutes yoga, an hour of walking and then about an hour of gardening. I think that's a pretty good balance.

:fallsmiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.