The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely fun to blast up hills and free fall down the other side.
Pedaling like a madman downhill is also fun, on loose crushed stone stopping is sometimes bit interesting too :)

I have noticed GPS is bit poor with elevation, for example from last graph, where there is highest heart rate, climb is over 7%, 17 meters in 238 meters distance, but GPS claims it to be only 5 meters and 330 meters distance which would be only 2% climb.

Also that steepest downhill is really 20m drop in 130 meters, that is around 15% (fun to go uphill, leg burn hill!), but GPS is missing almost all of it as it lags quite bit behind, especially with elevation.

Luckily we don't have those long steep climbs like on mountains, I would be stuck in a valley then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Winchester Winchester That really sucks. :sigh: No exercise at all? You can't even do something gentle? I hope your meds work and you're back with us soon.

I did 90 minutes of yoga and then a 30 minute run today. Running is getting easier as it cools down. It's almost fun now. It was more like torture last month.

jtbo jtbo is Finland pretty flat? I imagined you'd have quite a few mountains to climb.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester That really sucks. :sigh: No exercise at all? You can't even do something gentle? I hope your meds work and you're back with us soon.

I did 90 minutes of yoga and then a 30 minute run today. Running is getting easier as it cools down. It's almost fun now. It was more like torture last month.

jtbo jtbo is Finland pretty flat? I imagined you'd have quite a few mountains to climb.
It depends a lot from location, southern and western parts are pretty much flat, there is very flat area at west coast to inland around middle area, north has most of hills and there are some at east.

However we don't have any real mountains here, mostly grooves that cold period of ice age made by moving gravel etc.

This country is on one of the most geologically stable places on planet, if we get earthquake that can be felt it can be barely felt and it does not happen every year, not even every 5 years I think, I have never experienced any kind of earthquake, those are so rare in here.

This is very boring and safe place, despite recent developments by human beings, there is not much to disturb everyday life.

Problem for those who want to be competitive in cycling is that here is no place to train, any mountain is like a impossible wall to climb if you train only here, despite we have short and somewhat steep hills, they are nothing like a mountain to climb.

Next month there is big bicycling competition and there is 30km lap which has around 600 meters of climbs, but each climb is short, however that is about twice the climbing I can get here and even in here I feel there is only hills compared to some other places I have lived in.

So here locally are hills that go up to 260 meters from sea level, which is pretty much highest you can find without going to northern part of the country, also lowest parts here are not much less than 170 meters, bit further there are around 100 meters lowest altitude, but then there are no hills even at this steep.

At mountains you climb 1000 meters in 30km or even more, so relative to mountains this is flat, but relative to Netherlands this is mountains :D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. I even asked if I could continue my 250 steps per hour and received a "No". I asked, "Every other hour?" and got a "NO! Take a breather!". No dumbbells. Nothing for right now.

It's a bugger getting old, but I guess it beats the alternative. I'll be back. This is just minor. I'll be back.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing this week? Our heat and humidity are back, but I've been battling through it.

Wednesday was a gorgeous day so I went for a longish bike ride. Just over an hour.

Thursday I did 40 minutes of yoga and a 30 minute run.

Friday I did 90 minutes of yoga and then an hour walk.

Had to work all day today, but managed a 30 minute run and 30 minutes of yoga after that.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am waiting for the foot to settle down. The small workouts last week made it act up.

Fired the doctor. Fumbling to get records in hand to send to a second opinion.

Found out to increase my calcium. To help the bone spur. It is throbbing at the end of the day=when get socks off it feels so much better-too bad I can't go footloose and fancy free.

Tonight I may go to the gym for a few minutes. do a few minutes on the bike and some arm weights. Loosing my tone and strength-got to keep it in check not to mention my waistline keeps expanding despite me cutting back on food...I will figure something out. Maybe try some yoga on a matt. :thumbsup:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat If you're interested, this is a good yoga routine that you can do without putting any weight on your foot. I like this instructor a lot.

I did 90 minutes of yoga and then just a 20 minute run today. I left it a bit late for the run and it was getting too dark. Don't want to fall over on these rough tracks around here.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
took a short stroll at lunch today. walked down that side road I always walk down-only went to the first hill on it and turned around. still had 9 minutes left to break. So far foot is sore but it's not unbarable. It felt good to walk as it is cloudy and cool out. Nice to not sweat for a change. I will head to gym tonight. I really miss it. And with the latest stress in my life I can't go into on a public forum I need to do something before I put my fist in the wall. Amazing how much better I feel when I expel anger in the gym on the equipment.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exercise is indeed great way to get rid of that load which accumulates during some of the days.

Badminton and firewood chopping seems to be best for me in that, but biking steep short hills up seems to do well too.

Only problem with Badminton is finding opponent of required qualities and here locally is nothing of such places, so have to travel far to play, it is so long since I did play last time.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hit the gym.
20 min elliptical almost 18 min for a mile. no pain in toe-only ankle.
lat pull downs
back extention got up to 100lb. felt GOOD.
those two exercises you sit in chair and push weights out and in with thighs-I call it the thigh master. I set it at 25lb and it was like nothing there..didn't feel resistance until 75lbs. so did up to 100lb. Time will tell. I don't remember being that strong in the leg but guess all the squats and leg lifts I have been doing helped. or it's because I am heavier...either way I will take it.
Spent a good hour. came home and only ate soup and some salad-working hard to restrict sugar-and eat nuts instead...got to diet-and change my habits-so hard to not eat cookies...damn.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bike ride:
upload_2017-8-30_23-28-18.png

Bike pic:
upload_2017-8-30_23-28-42.png

Kitty pic:
upload_2017-8-30_23-30-33.png

I guess he knew I would be away exercising instead of entertaining his royal highness.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's a very fancy bike jtbo jtbo Mine looks more like this.

Monday and Tuesday I did 90 minutes of yoga and a 30 minute run. Wednesday just an hour of yoga and 30 minutes on my bike (With a basket full of shopping on the way home)

Thursday was 90 minutes of yoga.

Friday I did yoga and then spent about two hours gardening and clearing out my shed. I have a lot more tools than I realised!

Just an hour of yoga so far today but going out for a run soon.

:walk:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice bikes, both! jtbo jtbo , your kitty is gorgeous! I love his (or her) bright white around the nose!

Well, I started doing something....it was making me crazier just sitting around waiting to see what my blood pressure was going to do. With the new meds, it got ridiculously high anyway, so I figured walking couldn't make it any worse. And if it did, well, so be it.

Wednesday and Thursday -
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour

Friday
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps per hour
10,879 steps for the day (it wasn't on the treadmill; it was just walking around stores and such, walking for my hour steps)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been walking at lunch. Still cant make it all way to water edge but i go a bit farther every day. Thursay hit gym and did mile on elliptical machine and 3 miles on bike plus weights. Still have quite a bit of strength back which is good.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I did a bike ride, it does help to push hard and then little harder:
upload_2017-9-2_19-20-36.png

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did an hour of yoga and a 30 minute run on Saturday and Sunday.

Started off with an hour of yoga on Monday, then spent about 3 hours cleaning the house. It's been a hot, wet summer and there is mold behind all the wardrobes and bookcases. I'm seriously considering burning the house down.

:angryfire:

90 minutes of yoga and a 40 minute run today. Running is so nice now it's cooled down a bit.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
45 minutes of power yoga to warm up today. Then a 45 minute run and another 30 minutes of yoga to stretch after that.

I think I may have over done it a bit, hope I can still walk tomorrow.

How's everyone else doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.