The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Norachan Norachan Sorry been absent-my foot has been nothing but a headache. Last month we got locked out from work-so I didn't go to the gym during the later month of May. The foot was rested most of the time. They shut off our insurance so I didn't get to a doctor. The week we went back to work I attempted to get it looked at but I didn't have insurance until Wed. I got looked at Thursday-they said it was overuse injury-no breaks in the foot. It was hurting something fierce. It bothers me at night-can't lay a certain way without it throbbing.
I have attempted to take short walks around the building/yard to keep the muscles in shape but I usually just hobble along.

I have only done PT type exercises and arm exercises during the day. I miss doing pushups but I can't bend my foot that way. the pain moved from the big toe to the right side of foot on top. I tried the elliptical machine a few times and it just made it throb even more. So looks like no running for me when it heals unless I can loose the weight. Which really annoys the hell out of me. I miss the sweaty fun from the gym. I was told to go anyways and do arms but me if I can't have a piece of the pie I don't want any of it. Bah humbug!

I planned to go back to the gym Monday but I don't know if I should continue to rest it. Gasp I even sit in a chair most of the day at work-which is NOT like me. I normally stay standing or pace or move around-I feel like an old person and it's annoying but the pain is not fun-so I am trying to resign myself to a slower pace. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I hope to at least post once a week. I miss working out and HATE my foot! One of my friends from work jokenly said "Shoot it off!" and I just rolled my eyes! LOL. Believe me-I would love to find a cure to overuse injury but it's going to take TIME. Guess nothing I can do about it, huh?!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Sorry been absent-my foot has been nothing but a headache. Last month we got locked out from work-so I didn't go to the gym during the later month of May. The foot was rested most of the time. They shut off our insurance so I didn't get to a doctor. The week we went back to work I attempted to get it looked at but I didn't have insurance until Wed. I got looked at Thursday-they said it was overuse injury-no breaks in the foot. It was hurting something fierce. It bothers me at night-can't lay a certain way without it throbbing.
I have attempted to take short walks around the building/yard to keep the muscles in shape but I usually just hobble along.

I have only done PT type exercises and arm exercises during the day. I miss doing pushups but I can't bend my foot that way. the pain moved from the big toe to the right side of foot on top. I tried the elliptical machine a few times and it just made it throb even more. So looks like no running for me when it heals unless I can loose the weight. Which really annoys the hell out of me. I miss the sweaty fun from the gym. I was told to go anyways and do arms but me if I can't have a piece of the pie I don't want any of it. Bah humbug!

I planned to go back to the gym Monday but I don't know if I should continue to rest it. Gasp I even sit in a chair most of the day at work-which is NOT like me. I normally stay standing or pace or move around-I feel like an old person and it's annoying but the pain is not fun-so I am trying to resign myself to a slower pace. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I hope to at least post once a week. I miss working out and HATE my foot! One of my friends from work jokenly said "Shoot it off!" and I just rolled my eyes! LOL. Believe me-I would love to find a cure to overuse injury but it's going to take TIME. Guess nothing I can do about it, huh?!
Extra vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, drink a lot and have cold wrap gel bag thing on foot not too tight but wrapped with some bandage so it is secure and supporting.

Something like 25-50ug is daily D vitamin recommended, I'm using 200-300ug to keep brain fog at least partly under control, 100ug is well withing safe range and has benefits in weight loss as well as injury recovery.

I must say that I don't like policies of your workplace, humans are not like propane that can be cut off and put back on as needed.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
8am morning bike ride, just making body move, I try to make 2nd ride or walk at the evening.
upload_2017-6-19_10-44-6.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to have you back with us foxxycat foxxycat . Sorry to hear about your foot and your problems at work too. jtbo jtbo is right. It's terrible that they treat workers like that.

Hope you can find some way to exercise without hurting your foot any more. How about swimming?

On Sunday I did an hour of deep stretching yoga, walked for an hour and the did another hour of yoga to work on my core later on.

Today I did 90 minutes of yoga and then walked for an hour. I was hoping to run today, but I have another AWOL cat that I am trying to track down. Lizzie got out on Saturday evening. She's been out a few times before, so I'm not too worried about her yet. I'd be happier if she got her butt back home again soon though.

I get so much exercise walking around looking for escapees.

:rolleyes:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the corporate thugs thought they could break my union. So WRONG they were!!

I went to gym last night-did 30 min 4 miles on bike-slow and steady. I tried the other machines-and too much pressure on my ankle as it flexed. I drummed up a good sweat. Not as much as I like but it felt good. I should have done some arm things-but I did 10 min of arm exercises at lunch yesterday. Got to go slow and easy.

I am sure tonight I will sweat my butt off-dryer is dead-need to take cover off and troubleshoot it-probably lint buildup in the back=there's a tool I can get at Walmart to get the lint out--so tonight I will be getting bending and cussing while I try to get the dryer to display error messages...too bad Jon isn't savvy with computers like I am...can't do anything about it now...and I can't find my hand tools...hoping its just a small socket set I need-I have that-but not pliers etc-still buying them up at yard sales-we lost a box of tools two years ago=I stuck everything together and poof. Can't find it-I think Jon accidently tossed it because it was next to the trash-told him don't throw away stuff that looks like usable stuff-I have a small place-I store things I need in the kitchen...grrrr...

will do some stretches at lunchtime unless I decide to leave. There's no one here and it's hot as hell. I just want to go home and fix the darn dryer.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah the corporate thugs thought they could break my union. So WRONG they were!!
foxxycat foxxycat , Yay for you and your union! :rock:
Have you tried a boot for your foot? Reason I'm asking is because a couple of years ago I was having some bad foot problems; in my case, the tendon on the top inner side of my right foot was starting to come away from the bone. Ortho weenie put me in a boot for 6 weeks. No exceptions. I got out of bed, the boot came on. Right before I went to bed, the boot came off....even if I got up during the night to use the bathroom, the boot came on. Six weeks. I hated every minute of it. BUT....it worked. The boot kept my foot positioned properly, which gave the foot time to heal. It is also used for ankle problems. And for overuse; that's what my problem was; I simply walked too much and it was ripping the tendon from the bone on that foot. As much as I hate to say this, maybe you should just bag everything for a good 4-6 weeks and give your feet a good rest.....or as much rest as you can. No exercise walking, no exercise anything, unless you just do exercise for your upper body. Meanwhile, try the Advil or a pain gel, lots of icing. And just let it go for awhile.

Most insurances will pay for the boot; mine, however, did not. And the cost was $125. It goes over the foot and attaches with Velcro about halfway to my knee. I wore it under pants at work. Awkward, yes. But in the long run, it was worth it.

Monday -
2.5 miles on the treadmill
12 of 12 hours with 500+ steps
14,248 steps for the day

This morning, for the first time since May 1st, I hit 3 miles on the treadmill. :clap: Yay me!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to try the boot. But they would boot me out of here so fast. Not that I would mind. I will call the ortho today to see what I can get. I did the bike last night-with the one I sit in and pedal ahead of me-no pain. I didn't do anything else. I went slow and easy 5 miles. Read a book. Nope I am not doing any walking other than to my car and to the bathroom. I agree-I have to rest it in order to have it heal. I have been taking advil but it's not working. Thanks for the suggestion! I think 6 weeks off is what is needed.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though I have lost the weight, I am seeing some loose skin on my arms. Does anyone have suggestions for how to build muscle, exercises or weights.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I wish! I don't have very toned arms and I work with dumbbells.

Tuesday -
3 miles on the treadmill
12 of 12 hours with 500+ steps (I left work and drove to my planning commission meeting. Instead of sitting in my car reading, I walked out the street 250 feet, then turned around and walked back to the parking lot.)
14,666 steps for the day

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HR refused to stay low and refused to go to maximum.
upload_2017-6-22_0-41-4.png

Last summer I did ride on hill at 4:14 minutes, today it took over 7 minutes with flat out effort. Those three last hills are great place to test maximum HR and do some intervals, last one is really a killer, I could do around 160bpm fine today, but 163bpm started to exhaust me very quickly, 166bpm was maximum while sometimes I can do 175bpm, however when my eating is better HR seems not to go so high.

No problem with spaghetti legs, but can't get enough air.

blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 I have read that Bruce Lee trained so that he just kept muscles at tension, like branch of tree, grab it and pull push lift or something and just keep maximum effort as long as possible, repeat few times.

Anything works as a weight as long as it is heavy enough, if you can do more than 10 repeats, then probably it is not heavy enough. Look YT or other places from web for dumb bell exercises, do it slow and make sure it is lot of effort so that you feel like growling and it should work just fine. However first train how to do move properly with lower weight and don't swing.

When you think you can't do even one more, do two more, scream if needed, that is muscle training it is hard, burn in muscle is winning.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
35 minutes on bike. 5 miles.

Yes to tone arms-weights that you can do 10-12=hold at 3 to 5 seconds on each movement-like bicep curls or overhead press-holding weights for 5 seconds will make you growl but it WORKS. Look in hubby's tool area-I used large adjustable wrenches-around 5 to 7 lb each...more than enough weight. Be creative.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
HR refused to stay low and refused to go to maximum.
View attachment 185291When you think you can't do even one more, do two more, scream if needed, that is muscle training it is hard, burn in muscle is winning.
Rick has told me that, too.
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 , I don't know how far you are from a Dick's Sporting Goods or a Sears or what have you. I started out years ago with 3-pound dumbbells, then went to 5, then to 10. Then I splurged and bought a set of adjustables. A pair of 3-pound dumbbells isn't really that expensive; I can send you mine, if you're interested. Let me know!

Wednesday -
13,752 steps for the day

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 If you want to tone what you have without bulking up your muscles too much I suggest exercising without weights at first. Push ups/press ups and pull ups are great if you can do them. Sun Salutations really tone up your arms and chest too.

Tuesday I did an hour of yoga, spent 90 minutes looking for Lizzie (walked up and down a lot of steep trails) then did another hour of yoga in the evening.

Yesterday we had proper monsoon rain all day, so I couldn't get out and walk at all. Did two 1 hour yoga sessions.

Today I spent 90 minutes walking around looking for Lizzie, then did 30 minutes easy yoga for the neck and uppper back. My neck is killing me today, for some reason.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thursday -
3 miles on the treadmill
14,558 steps for the day (6.89 miles)

So far, just some twinges in both knee and foot. Twinges I can handle. I'm going to keep it like this for next week yet and then increase some treadmill speed and/or incline. Right now, I'm only walking at about 3.6 miles per hour, but I do increase my pace to keep up with some of my faster songs; I've gotten up to 4 mph for a couple songs on the iPod. Just trying to keep things easy for a while.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Started with 90 minutes of yoga this morning. Rode my bike for half an hour. Nothing very impressive, just a few errands I had to run.

I walked around for a hour this evening and I found Lizzie! She was only about half a mile from home. She followed me back, meowing at the top of her lungs the whole way.

I'm relieved, she'd been gone for nearly a week.

:lovecat3:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did 4 miles on bike last night. Tried elliptical and still no go-only did 5 minutes. .25 miles lol.

Went to doc appointment-gave me metal inserts-said I have bone spurs in the big toe joint which could be why I am having pain there- they don't know why the top right side hurts. Go back in 6 weeks to see foot surgeon to see what's next. Said to keep taking aleve. Blah. bah humbug. They said I can continue to do the bike but no running or excessive walking.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , I'm glad you found Lizzie!

Friday -
14,795 steps for the day

I did one mile on the treadmill this morning. I'm not doing much this weekend, other than work on 500+ steps per hour and that's when I think about it. Want to rest the knee on weekends for a while.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Winchester Winchester I'm really glad she's back too.

I did 90 minutes of yoga and a 20 minute run on Saturday, two 1 hour yoga sessions and a 20 minute run on Sunday.

I've just finished this morning's yoga. Hoping to get out for a walk or a run later.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's been a very hot and humid week. I feel like I'm swimming in soup when I go out for my walks and runs these days.

I've been averaging 90 minutes of yoga and an hour walk every day. I'm not going to go for a run until it rains again.

How's everyone else doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.