The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have days when I feel like giving up too Winchester Winchester The day after my first run this year I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Everything hurt, even my neck. I started thinking, "That's it. It's all over. I'm too old to run anymore." It gradually got easier though. Just have to make sure I warm up properly and keep doing it regularly.

Welcome to the thread tabbytom tabbytom I'm impressed with your long bike rides. Do you take photos of the places you ride? I'd live to see some.

I did an hour of yoga and a 30 minute run on Saturday, an hour of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Sunday. Monday I did 90 minutes yoga then about an hour weeding the garden.

90 minutes of yoga so far today. Going for another run before I start work.

:sheep:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, Norachan Norachan ; I'm just really frustrated with it all right now.

Welcome, tabbytom tabbytom . I'd love to see some pictures, too. I hope you'll hang out with us.

Monday -
2 miles on the treadmill
12 of 12 hours with 500+ steps
14,042 steps for the day

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Photos request by Norachan Norachan & Winchester Winchester
I did not take very much photos on me rides as places I go to are places that I've been to many times. But I do stop once in awhile to take one or two shots, hehe :p

This is the Marina Bay Area that is sitting on reclaimed land.

On the left is the Marina Bay Sands Resort. Bottom left is the Helix Bridge, white structure is the ArtScience Museum.

Body of water you see is actually part of the Singapore River which is now sealed up and made into a fresh water reservoir which they took quite a bit of time transforming it from sea water to fresh water.

The dam that was built to form this reservoir is called the Marina Barrage.

IMG_0012.JPG

This is the opposite side and in the middle next to the ArtScience Museum is the Singapore Flyer.

IMG_0018.JPG

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Photos request by Norachan Norachan & Winchester Winchester
I did not take very much photos on me rides as places I go to are places that I've been to many times. But I do stop once in awhile to take one or two shots, hehe :p

This is the Marina Bay Area that is sitting on reclaimed land.

On the left is the Marina Bay Sands Resort. Bottom left is the Helix Bridge, white structure is the ArtScience Museum.

Body of water you see is actually part of the Singapore River which is now sealed up and made into a fresh water reservoir which they took quite a bit of time transforming it from sea water to fresh water.

The dam that was built to form this reservoir is called the Marina Barrage.

View attachment 184006

This is the opposite side and in the middle next to the ArtScience Museum is the Singapore Flyer.

View attachment 184007
I'm running Speed King 2.2 and Race King 2.2 on 26" Trek 3700 Disc, can't run other tires anymore, these are so incredible, fastest possible while still having enough grip for anything. Only con is that crushed stone is no go zone, sidewalls of these tires are thin as I have Race Sport variants.

Converted Trek to 9-speed so I have 36 rear cog and 22 front, great for deep mud grinding, also put hydraulic disc to front.

Also I have 35mm stem and 720mm handlebar swap + clip on aero bars for road cycling, bike is built to do gravel roads and pavement as a road bike, because we don't have trails nearby.

I haven't done rides for a long time, but I try to ride this night, less pollen at night, I have to start regular program or I will never achieve my goals.

For my rides, most I see is trees, not really any cities within my range, but I have done 80km ride, with less hills might be able to do longer rides, we don't have flat piece of land where I live. Steepest climbs are such that I ride under 5kph while reaching maximum heart rate before reaching top of the climb. Might have to do something with my fitness level too. There is one short route which I tend to walk where is less hills, but any road riding involves lot of climbs.

Last exercise was last Thursday for me, I did walking running thing and my heart rate was absolutely berserk, usually I can't reach more than 165 at maximum, now it was going a lot higher, I know I was dehydrated and my eating has been horrible so maybe that was a reason, but it was not much of fun, so I did switch to walking.
upload_2017-6-13_22-18-34.png

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to ride slow, but ended up with a tempo day with bicycle, what a surprise...

upload_2017-6-14_2-10-44.png

Heart rate was normal this time, 165 maximum as usual, 102kg is hard to move though so speed is really poor, but darn it felt good.

1 hour at zone 4 and almost 28 minutes at zone 5, but I still feel like having a long run, however I guess it is better I avoid overdoing it...

2 pizzas, one kettle of pasta, still over 1200 calorie deficit, I would need to eat more than I'm able if I try to do fully exhausting ride, that is good, so there is still some hope, just need to get that weight down.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm running Speed King 2.2 and Race King 2.2 on 26" Trek 3700 Disc, can't run other tires anymore, these are so incredible, fastest possible while still having enough grip for anything. Only con is that crushed stone is no go zone, sidewalls of these tires are thin as I have Race Sport variants.
The bike shown here is me old bike. It was running on Maxxis Holy Roller 2.2. Super grippy on tarmac and cemented floor. Great for bumps and curbs. But not good for off road and sand as it's not a knobby tire. But I love this tires.

My new bike is on Continental X-King 2.2, pretty good off road and city rides. Yea, don't really trust the side walls though. Once these get busted, the Maxxis Holy Rollers will be back on.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Great pictures, tabbytom tabbytom ! You have a great place for biking! I'm glad you mentioned what the water was; I was wondering if it was a lake or a river or what.

JTbo, you're knocking it right out of the park. Good job!
Keep going, Norachan Norachan !

Tuesday -
2 miles on the treadmill
12 of 12 hours at 500+ steps
14,179 steps for the day

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I are still walking every day, two miles. Most days I am averaging about 10,000 steps. I am satisfied with my weight now and he is with his. We are maintaining.

We finally bought him the new suit he has been needing. He has gone from the 40 and sometimes 42 pants to a 38 waist and he is happy with that. He will be so handsome when he wears it with the new shirt and tie.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on getting to your target weights blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946

On Tuesday I did a longer run than usual, so was pretty tired on Wednesday. I just did an hour of deep stretching and then about half an hour on my bike. My bikes nothing fancy, I can't really compete with tabbytom tabbytom or jtbo jtbo

Today I did 90 minutes of yoga and then a 90 minute walk.

Going horse riding tomorrow.

:hyper:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But Norachan Norachan , riding in your weather should be a cool breeze. You should try to target a distance on your bike. As half an hour in leisure ride and half an hour in hard riding gives you different results. So is yours a leisure ride or hard ride? :think:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 , that's great for both you and your husband. He dropped a lot of weight to go that many sizes....kudos to him.

Wednesday -
2.5 miles on the treadmill
15,062 steps for the day

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
But Norachan Norachan , riding in your weather should be a cool breeze. You should try to target a distance on your bike. As half an hour in leisure ride and half an hour in hard riding gives you different results. So is yours a leisure ride or hard ride? :think:
Sure, it's lovely to go for a bike ride at this time of year. I sometimes do longer 90 minute rides around the lake, but yesterday it was just down to my student's house and back. 10 minutes there (downhill) and then 20 minutes back.

Today I did 90 minutes of yoga and then went horse riding. I rode a very lively little pony called Satchiko. We had lots of fun charging about the forest.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sure, it's lovely to go for a bike ride at this time of year. I sometimes do longer 90 minute rides around the lake, but yesterday it was just down to my student's house and back. 10 minutes there (downhill) and then 20 minutes back.

Today I did 90 minutes of yoga and then went horse riding. I rode a very lively little pony called Satchiko. We had lots of fun charging about the forest.
So the pony had more excercise than you! :crackup:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So the pony had more excercise than you! :crackup:
I'm sure she did, but she's a lot stronger than I am.

:lol:

Horse riding is hard work! Staying balanced and in control at high speed takes serious core muscles. It's great fun too, of course.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thursday -
2 miles on the treadmill
13,502 steps for the day (For right now, I'm OK just getting 10,000 steps. Once I think my knee feels better, then I'm going to increase my step count. But for now, it's OK.)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she did, but she's a lot stronger than I am.

:lol:

Horse riding is hard work! Staying balanced and in control at high speed takes serious core muscles. It's great fun too, of course.
Remember, it's power/weight ratio that counts! :D

So I try to keep HR down, but it is hard because I love to compete, I love speed and when I push 106% I feel alive for short period of time. Here is 20 minutes of climbing from 1 hour on, I did try to keep leisure pace to see how I manage in HR wise, but for me this kind of hill is quite hard. Norachan Norachan has probably quite bit more meters to climb for her 20 minutes, I doubt I could keep up with her.
upload_2017-6-17_3-15-29.png

At the end I just could not feather it anymore and I did all out climb it does not look even at hill in above graph, but it is quite nice test of fitness.

Here last kilometer is that last climb, it has short steep section first, then very mild climb, until again short quite steep part, which GPS does not record too well, but big trucks need to shift down on that hill a lot, for some reason GPS records it as milder than it really is.
upload_2017-6-17_3-24-30.png

My eating and drinking has been poor as ever so HR did climb bit higher, running out of energy and being dehydrated seems to increase my HR quite a bit.

I just can't find reason why to keep going, so eating tends to get poor and exercise rare and random. I know how I should eat and all that, but sometimes I find I skip whole day without eating. There should be some point, but all I can see is getting old and slow alone, I should have some goal I guess.
upload_2017-6-17_3-32-13.png

I'm running insane deficit and not even feeling hungry, most of my life I have not felt hungry but with proper diet I can feel hungry. At least today I did eat somewhat okay. I'm developing eating disorder at this rate.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
JTbo - :hugs: I don't know what to say to make you feel better.

Friday -
No treadmill
12 of 12 hours with 300+ steps
12,546 steps for the day

Taking the weekend off

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
jtbo jtbo That's really worrying.

:frown:

Even if you don't feel like eating you should try to force down a fruit smoothie or a protein shake, just so your body has something to work on. Your body soon stops feeling hungry, but low blood sugar leads to depression and low energy. Your muscles will start being absorbed for protein to make up for the lack of food you're eating.

I had a bit of a rest day today as well. Just walked for an hour.

Let's see if I can post some pictures I took at the stables yesterday.

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG

Two foals, both about 6 weeks old. Born to different mothers but fathered by the same stallion. Aren't they sweet?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those kitten horses look big, I guess they grow fast?

I was trying to have recovery day, before eating I ended up doing 2 hour 20 minute ride. There is no huge difference in speed if I push all out or if I ride easy, or then I'm imagining things. 1986 calories burned on this ride, ride before this was after midnight so within this 24 hours I did ride 63.7km and around 4 hours.
upload_2017-6-17_22-18-43.png

I really should eat properly as indeed muscle is burning with such poor eating I'm having.

Status
Not open for further replies.