That's one way to clean the basement, I guess

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure to get a stainless steel hose. The rubber ones can crack over time and leak.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to call the fire department non-emergency and left a message. When you are in a townhouse environment the whole fire department shows up.
In Connecticut if a fire alarm goes off the fire department comes immediately to the house regardless of whether or not it is an emergency.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my original Kenmore washer & drier in the basement. Think I bought them in 2005. Minor repairs over the years, but still working well. Love the washer, but it's an electric drier & takes awhile to get toasty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like the Speed Queen. On my second load of laundry this morning. It took about 40 minutes for an extra-large load to get done (without an extra rinse). So I hit the treadmill, and then was able to start a second load a little more than midway through my exercise program.....that's pretty much what I wanted. The clothes really spun dry, so we're able to reduce drying time in the washer. No excess wrinkles or anything. I think it's going to be fine. I'm pleased. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Make sure to get a stainless steel hose. The rubber ones can crack over time and leak.
Yep. :nod: I had some burst on me once and unfortunately they washer was not in the basement. HUGE mess.

I'm glad you like your new washer, Pam. My washer is slowly dying and I'll be in the market soon enough. :nod:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my original Kenmore washer & drier in the basement. Think I bought them in 2005. Minor repairs over the years, but still working well. Love the washer, but it's an electric drier & takes awhile to get toasty.
I checked. I bought them in 2001.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yep.
I had some burst on me once and unfortunately they washer was not in the basement. HUGE mess.

I'm glad you like your new washer, Pam. My washer is slowly dying and I'll be in the market soon enough.
I highly recommend the Speed Queen and I'm sure that @blueyedgirl5946  does, too. We are using less detergent (I tried using what I would normally use and there were a few suds at the bottom of the tub). A normal-sized wash gets done in about 40 minutes or so. We have gone from one hour's drying time in the dryer down to about 45 minutes for a load of heavy towels or a load of jeans, much less for a load of shirts or whites.  I give each piece of clothing a shake when I take it out of the washer to go into the dryer (but I've always done that anyway). The only item that was a bit tangled the other day was a queen fitted sheet, but it wasn't too bad. 

I probably do six loads of laundry a week: two loads of whites, two loads of colored, towels and washcloths, the bed linens, and a load of cat blankets and such. That's split into 3 loads on Sundays and another 3 loads on Wednesday nights. It seems like a lot of laundry for only two people (and six cats) and I really don't know where it all comes from.

It's made in the US, based in Wisconsin. Stainless steel tub. Metal parts, not plastic. It was a little pricey, but not overly so. And if it lasts for even 20 years, I'll be happy.

My SIL's washer is on its last legs, too, and she's looking at Speed Queen now.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I just went to the website for our local appliance store. We prefer to deal with them as opposed to the big box stores. They have a big banner ad for Speed Queen, so it looks like they carry them.:) I'll definitely keep that in mind when it is time. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just went to the website for our local appliance store. We prefer to deal with them as opposed to the big box stores. They have a big banner ad for Speed Queen, so it looks like they carry them.
I'll definitely keep that in mind when it is time.
I think the independent stores are the only ones carrying Speed Queen.  Unfortunately there are no independents left in Columbus Oh, other than a rent to own place.  The national big box chains have put them out of business so I can't get a Speed Queen because I am not going to get caught up with a rent to own place.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just went to the website for our local appliance store. We prefer to deal with them as opposed to the big box stores. They have a big banner ad for Speed Queen, so it looks like they carry them.:) I'll definitely keep that in mind when it is time. :)
AbbysMom AbbysMom The local Sears store here had a few Speed Queens the last time I was in their store. I hope you buy one. You will not be sorry.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.I probably do six loads of laundry a week: two loads of whites, two loads of colored, towels and washcloths, the bed linens, and a load of cat blankets and such. That's split into 3 loads on Sundays and another 3 loads on Wednesday nights. It seems like a lot of laundry for only two people (and six cats) and I really don't know where it all comes from.
That is a lot of laundry. I do 3 loads every 2 weeks for 2 people. One dark, one that needs bleach, and one non-bleach/non-dark. Occasionally 4 loads. Stuff like area rugs & other heavy, bulky stuff I do twice a year at a local laundromat.