That Was An Aggressive Rejection...

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I offered my new cat fancy feast. I know new cats can take a little while to adjust to new foods... but she downright growled and hissed at it! I was equal parts shocked and amused. It's not that bad; the other cat likes it just fine and so does my wallet! :lol:

I did find things that she'll eat, so don't let her con you into thinking that she's starving to death, either. Maybe if I try it again once she's more used to wet food, she'll actually try it and forget that she ever hated it to begin with!

Anyone else's cat do anything dramatic when offered something that they don't want to eat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy just does the sniff and walk away but a number of cats will try and bury it, although sometimes they've eaten some...LOL cats!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your post made me laugh out loud. i cannot believed she growled at food. omg. :flail:

my cat will walk away and avoid eating for the rest of the day and beg for her more favored food.

why dont you slowly incorporate fancy feast mixed into the food she likes, then lessen the other food. Until its only fancy feast left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your post made me laugh out loud. i cannot believed she growled at food. omg. :flail:

my cat will walk away and avoid eating for the rest of the day and beg for her more favored food.

why dont you slowly incorporate fancy feast mixed into the food she likes, then lessen the other food. Until its only fancy feast left.

I will, once I figure out the things that she likes. I admit I was kind of caught off guard with her food; the cafe used to give out sample sized science diet bags and I figured that would be enough for me to feed her until I could start getting her used to something but they don't anymore and then my plans to get some today were ruined by a massive storm. So we've been winging it! Luckily she likes some of the other food I have laying around.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, that's funny, and one I haven't seen before! A lot of the shelter cats will scratch around food they reject, bury it under a throw rug or towel, or flip the food dish. We did have one, Tina, who'd slam the dish into the nearest wall and strut off in a fit of temper.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy just does the sniff and walk away but a number of cats will try and bury it, although sometimes they've eaten some...LOL cats!
my cat tried to bury her dry food after eating a few bites even though she seems to like it. I figure she just wants to make sure it's there when she wants more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I knew it... the fancy feast she'd literally growled at? Once she saw her new sister eating it, she was willing to try sister's leftovers, and now it is apparently acceptable cat food.

I'm glad. The only other thing I'd gotten her eating so far was Nulo, and that's kind of pricey for me to be feeding all the time (since it's kinda low on calories, bigger kitty might need three cans a day and smaller kitty would need two).

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan gags at what I think of as smells he doesn’t expect. If we open Olives food he will gag from across the room