That time of the month

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have cramps so bad that I'd cry when I had aunt flo. since I've been on the pill they haven't been so intense. I still take Midol but only on occassion.
not to much.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get severe cramps that start about 3 days before my period and they last until the 3rd or 4th day. Nothing helps to relieve them. I'm allergic to advil (or any anti-inflamatory) and have been prescribed several narcotics (Vicodin, Darvocet, tylenol with codiene) and still nothing worked. On top of the cramps I'm naseous (sp), cry over anything or for no reason, get migraines and am generally a grouch.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

When I was on Ortho Tricyclen, it actually made my PMS WORSE. That was no good, so I actually switched to OrthoEvra, which is known as 'The Patch' and it has made my life so much easier around that special time.
I think the patch works for certain things for me. It definately made my cramps worse though, and I get to the point where I can't even move the few days before aunt flo. I cry and get really nauseous. I was never like that before I went on BC for cysts 3 years ago.

And I am very very cranky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I don't take the pill anymore-not for many years. I guess I would be in peri-menopause now. Not too bad as it was when I was around 40. Back then I would wear a bra to bed and nothing better touch them!!
Cramps aren't too bad now-but there are days I have to wear elastic waist pant/skirts and they better be loose!! Of the chocolate and salty carving are still there.
If us live in the US there is a product you can find its like a heating pad. They have them for various body parts if you get my drift. You peel off the backing and stick it where it hurts. THermacare??? It gets pretty warm but can help.
What else help is like the minute I think I'm going to get cramps I take ibuprofen or aspirin. I mean right away!! Also the more you exercise the better the symptoms are.
Well better stock up on chocolate soon!!
Yea Gail....i am a proud user of Thermacare pads...they really do help with the cramps....

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yasmine....this is still kinda on-topic....did you realize that you (almost) share a name with a brand of birth control (Yasmin)?

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yasmine

Yea Gail....i am a proud user of Thermacare pads...they really do help with the cramps....
ME TOO! They are the greatest things ever created

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

Yasmine....this is still kinda on-topic....did you realize that you (almost) share a name with a brand of birth control (Yasmin)?
LMAO-- good one -- arent u witty--kinda ironic though...
(actually my "tubbys" name is Yasmine...)

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i used to have bad time of the months utill my doc god bless her put me on progesterone 200mgs and it has been a god send, no more pain moodiness nothin and boy am i glad, did have a bad headace recently but still happier nonetheless

Nyzki

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny as it sounds there is some truth to the chocolate myth about it being able to help with pms conditions, there is a chemical component that relieves the misery, as well as tasting OHH SO yummy! Always worked for me
nyzki

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
DEFINITELY...I get the WORSE cramps. I'm usually down for the first day of mine because of them. I stopped taking birth control pills about six months ago, and they've just gotten horrible since then! Bad enough that my cousin, an EMT, told me I should get checked out for possible problems. I've had a history of cysts, so it could just be that, but argh...going to the dr sucks!!!

Anyway, there ya go...that DEFINITELY answers your question, I think! LOL!!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Already posted here once today (can you tell I'm not getting much accomplished at work). Cramps are back along with being REALLY hungry and it's only 3:15. Also, it's raining and I'm not in the greatest mood. Thinking about stopping on the way home for something good to eat (that means unhealthy!) Any ideas?

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE FROM DOCTOR VISIT TODAY--
Doc told me that the only way to get rid of my PMS is to not have my periods. I am trying something called "NuvaRing"....I wear the ring for 4 weeks, take out and put in a new one...one ring is good for 4 weeks so i can go 3 months without a period...kinda weird...and i wont know how to act not having a period and not having PMS symptoms....have anyone else on here heard of the Nuva Ring???? www.nuvaring.com

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I normally don't have any problems at all. No cramps, moodiness, cravings or anything. But recently my doctor switched me to Yasmin, to see if it would regulate my hormones due to the pituitary tumor, but I immediately became very depressed and moody. It was really bad
So I quit taking them after 5 weeks. I had to wait for my period to come before going back on my ortho-tri cyclen, so I was off pills for 3 weeks before it came. I had the absolute worst cramps, was very tired and achy for the full 5 days. I just started back to my regular ortho-tri cyclen pills Sunday and I am much happier now!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Doc told me that the only way to get rid of my PMS is to not have my periods. I am trying something called "NuvaRing"....I wear the ring for 4 weeks, take out and put in a new one...one ring is good for 4 weeks so i can go 3 months without a period...kinda weird...and i wont know how to act not having a period and not having PMS symptoms....have anyone else on here heard of the Nuva Ring???? www.nuvaring.com
Nope I hadn't heard of it until now. Thanks for sharing the website and I hope it works for you.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have heard of it before but decided it wasn't right for me. I hope it works out for you though and you get some relief from the PMS symptoms.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I have heard of it before but decided it wasn't right for me. I hope it works out for you though and you get some relief from the PMS symptoms.
May i ask...and you dont have to answer...but what made you decide that it wasnt for you? I'm kinda nervous about it....been on the same pill for 5 years now...so change is hard for me...

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

May i ask...and you dont have to answer...but what made you decide that it wasnt for you? I'm kinda nervous about it....been on the same pill for 5 years now...so change is hard for me...
Like you I am really nervous about change. I have a fear of having something inserted into my body that time releases hormones. I would never consider the depo shots or anything like that. I have heard too many stories of peoples hormones going crazy. This is just me personally though.... I am sure there are a lot of people who do fine with them. If the Nuvo Ring can be removed at any point then I guess it's different than the depo shots, but I would still worry too much.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Like you I am really nervous about change. I have a fear of having something inserted into my body that time releases hormones. I would never consider the depo shots or anything like that. I have heard too many stories of peoples hormones going crazy. This is just me personally though.... I am sure there are a lot of people who do fine with them. If the Nuvo Ring can be removed at any point then I guess it's different than the depo shots, but I would still worry too much.
The big change of not having a period is a HUGE step for me...i like reassurance but then i dont like the agony i encounter each month. She explained that while on a birth control pill/device you only have a 1% chance of getting prego...and i guess my period always gave me peice of mind...i dunno-- we'll see if it works out for me. I'm gonna really be nervous when i have sex!!! I'm not telling my b/f just to see if says anything!!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always heard that when changing birth control it's best to wait a week or 2 to make sure the new one is effective.... I just wanted to mention that in case you and your doctor didn't discuss that

Going without a period is a huge step. I don't think I would know how to react.

Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't have said wait, I meant be careful and use back up forms of birth control for a week or 2.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have always heard that when changing birth control it's best to wait a week or 2 to make sure the new one is effective.... I just wanted to mention that in case you and your doctor didn't discuss that

Going without a period is a huge step. I don't think I would know how to react.

Edited to add: Maybe I shouldn't have said wait, I meant be careful and use back up forms of birth control for a week or 2.
ohhh definatly...i will be careful...thanks for the advice...i definatly dont want any lil lori's waddling around here...or not any time soon that is!!!