Thanksgiving?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
AJ's Christmas dinner thread makes me wonder what you're all doing for Thanksgiving this year. Staying home? Cooking turkey or something else? Going to your parents, grandparents? Making it an easy day? Are you shopping?

We are having dinner here and Rick's parents are coming down (well, his mom is coming, still not sure about his dad). My brother and SIL are coming and a few friends will be joining us, too. My sister and BIL are having their own dinner with my sister's MIL and BIL, but will join us later on for dessert and coffee.

Our dinner.....

Good Eats Roast Turkey (from Alton Brown)

Crock Pot Stuffing with All-Purpose Gravy (I make the gravy the night before and throw it in the fridge. All I have to do is heat it.)

Party Potatoes (Make them ahead of time, then throw them in the fridge. Then put them in the oven. No last-minute potato mashing! Life is good!)

Sweet Potatoes with Granola Streusel (it's something that I basically made-up one year and it became a hit. In fact, my brother hates sweet potatoes with a passion, but scarfs these down every year. The first time I made them, he told me how good my "carrots" were. I didn't tell him til after dinner that he was eating sweet potatoes. 
)

Sagaponek Corn Pudding (from Ina Garten....make it that morning and throw it in the fridge. Heat it in the oven.)

Pumpkin Crescent Rolls (I haven't made these for awhile and Rick specifically asked me to make them this year)

Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad (Make the dressing ahead of time. And I make enough sugared pecans for the salad and for a large bowl that I keep on the table throughout dinner and dessert. Til dinner is over, the bowl is emptied.)

Cinnamon Pickles and Lime Pickles (canned this past summer)

Iced tea and a couple bottles of Shade Mountain White (it's our favorite local winery) My brother and SIL usually bring a couple bottles of either blueberry or elderberry wine to share, too. Shade Mountain has a semi-sweet cranberry wine that I'd like to try, so I may grab a bottle while we're there.

Pumpkin Cheesecake with an Orange-Gingersnap Crust  

Maple Cut-out Cookies (I can make them the weekend before and throw them in the freezer. Then I'll get them out that Wednesday night to decorate.)

Apple Pie (already made and in the freezer)

I don't think there will be pumpkin pie this year, although I may say something to one of my GFs about bringing one....she always asks me what she can bring.

Our menu doesn't change much from year to year...I think my family would mutiny if I changed it around too much. I may get in trouble, just because there's no pumpkin pie.  I have this down pat and know exactly what I have to do and what time I have to start things in order to have dinner at 2:00. 

After everybody leaves, Rick and I will sit down with the newspaper ads and my Black Friday emails and figure out what time we're leaving to start our shopping. Yes, we're Black Friday shoppers, but we may go in very late Thursday night....we haven't decided yet. For the last several years, our Black Friday has been spent in the stores, so we'll see if there's anything really worth going out into the madness.

Last edited:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BF and I are going to New Jersey to have Thanksgiving with my grandma :) She had no plans, and we both get the day after Thanksgiving off work so we decided to go up there and visit her. I don't get vacation time from work until I've been here for a year, so we weren't expecting to get a chance to see her until next spring/summer. We were debating what to do since his family will all be elsewhere and he suggested visiting her :)

Actually not sure what the menu is going to be yet, its gone back and forth between a pork loin and filet mignon for Thanksgiving dinner (BF only likes deep fried turkey) ... and then a lot of delicious Jersey food!!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It's going to be a quiet thanksgiving with my parents, my sister, BIL and 3 nieces. Oh and my grandmother. We're not sure if my parent's friends are coming with their mother yet.

We usually have a bigger gathering, but my cousin just had a baby a few days ago and they decided to stay home with immediate family.

Appetizer:

Pigs in Blankets

Pepperoni/Cheese/Crackers

Marinated Mozzarella

Marinated Artichoke Hearts

Possibly home-made Stromboli (Spinach/Mozzarella and/or Pepperoni/Mozzarella)

Dinner:

Turkey stuffed with my mom's stuffing from scratch

Stuffed Mushrooms

Veggies (corn, peas, yam with marshmallows, steamed broccoli)

And of course, my mom's stuffing from scratch

Stuffed Artichokes (usually served after dinner)

Dessert:

My mom requested I make my Pumpkin Rolls for desert.

Either apple pie or cheesecake- whatever my mom picks up from the supermarket

I think my Niece wants to try to make something too.

Fruit Salad

Chestnuts and other nuts

I normally don't do black friday shopping. I hate crowds. But I remember last year going into Walmart and found it surprisingly EMPTY. Maybe I'll risk it this year.. dunno yet.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As usual I am not cooking, no way.  I will be going to Russ' sister's for dinner as we have a few times before.  She's an excellent cook and I enjoy going there.  Later we will visit with my sister at her home with the rest of the family.  Russ' sister will  be making a turkey and I believe a ham also with all the trimmings. Looking forward to it

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just going to be me and my hubby and Bella & Thunder  this year. Our son won't be here for Thanksgiving but will hopefully for Christmas. Our daughter has invited her in law side of the family so we aren't going over there.Too many people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Maple Cut-out Cookies (I can make them the weekend before and throw them in the freezer. Then I'll get them out that Wednesday night to decorate.)

I don't think there will be pumpkin pie this year, although I may say something to one of my GFs about bringing one....she always asks me what she can bring.

Our menu doesn't change much from year to year...I think my family would mutiny if I changed it around too much. I may get in trouble, just because there's no pumpkin pie.  I have this down pat and know exactly what I have to do and what time I have to start things in order to have dinner at 2:00. 
Well, that did not go over well at all. Last night during dinner, I talked to dear Richard about the pumpkin cheesecake and he's all ready for that. But then I mentioned that I was not making pumpkin pie....and you should have seen the look on his face. No pumpkin pie? For Thanksgiving? The horror! Blasphemy! That is just not done!

"But you're having pumpkin cheesecake!"

"I don't care! I want pie, too!"

"I'm doing apple pie!"

"That's not Thanksgiving! We need pumpkin pie!"

"Fine, I'll just make the pies then."

"Does that mean I don't get any cheesecake? But I want cheesecake!"

"You didn't even know about the cheesecake until I just mentioned it."

"Well, now I know. And now I want it!"

And so it goes. I am making two pumpkin pies....in addition to the cheesecake. And no apple pie.

That man is lucky he's so darn cute.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

We won't be cooking this year and usually don't.  Hubby has back surgery next week and will be recuperating during Thanksgiving week.  Our dear friends and next door neighbors--and auntie to our Three Amigos, she was working at the SPCA and is the one who 'introduced' us to them--has invited us to their family gathering.  

So that's pretty perfect, hubby and I can enjoy a good meal with friends and we only have to walk next door.  I'll take over a homemade vegan pumpkin pie and vegan lentil loaf (sort of like meatloaf only made with lentils).  That works out well--I'm a vegetarian and my friend's hubby is lactose intolerant, so he and I eat some of the same kinds of foods.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just me and the boyfriend, but I go somewhat all out. He doesn't like pie AT ALL, so no pie, nor sweet potatoes. But I'll be brining a turkey, making the ubiquitous green bean casserole, homemade stuffing, white wine gravy, "Grandma's Dream Rolls," a mountain of mashed potatoes, and homemade cranberry sauce. I have a big old Nesco roaster, so that makes the turkey really easy!

catdavidlouis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We'll be skiing in Vail, which is a semi-tradition for us. It's a little piece of heaven on earth.  So thankful.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, menu is mostly made up now....

various chips and dips to start out. If anyone asks what they can bring, I'll tell them an appetizer.

Turkey and gravy
ham
rolls and butter
Portuguese chourico stuffing
french meat stuffing
mac and cheese
cranberry sauce (homemade and canned)
mashed potatoes
sauteed spinach
asparagus and feta salad

peanut butter and chocolate cookies (my niece)
apple crisp cheesecake
chocolate chip cookies
candy bark
I think I will make up a cinnamon ice cream and an oreo ice cream also.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AJ's Christmas dinner thread makes me wonder what you're all doing for Thanksgiving this year. Staying home? Cooking turkey or something else? Going to your parents, grandparents? Making it an easy day? Are you shopping?

We are having dinner here and Rick's parents are coming down (well, his mom is coming, still not sure about his dad). My brother and SIL are coming and a few friends will be joining us, too. My sister and BIL are having their own dinner with my sister's MIL and BIL, but will join us later on for dessert and coffee.

Our dinner.....

Good Eats Roast Turkey (from Alton Brown)
Crock Pot Stuffing with All-Purpose Gravy (I make the gravy the night before and throw it in the fridge. All I have to do is heat it.)
Party Potatoes (Make them ahead of time, then throw them in the fridge. Then put them in the oven. No last-minute potato mashing! Life is good!)
Sweet Potatoes with Granola Streusel (it's something that I basically made-up one year and it became a hit. In fact, my brother hates sweet potatoes with a passion, but scarfs these down every year. The first time I made them, he told me how good my "carrots" were. I didn't tell him til after dinner that he was eating sweet potatoes. :) )
Sagaponek Corn Pudding (from Ina Garten....make it that morning and throw it in the fridge. Heat it in the oven.)
Pumpkin Crescent Rolls (I haven't made these for awhile and Rick specifically asked me to make them this year)
Mandarin Orange and Pecan Salad (Make the dressing ahead of time. And I make enough sugared pecans for the salad and for a large bowl that I keep on the table throughout dinner and dessert. Til dinner is over, the bowl is emptied.)
Cinnamon Pickles and Lime Pickles (canned this past summer)
Iced tea and a couple bottles of Shade Mountain White (it's our favorite local winery) My brother and SIL usually bring a couple bottles of either blueberry or elderberry wine to share, too. Shade Mountain has a semi-sweet cranberry wine that I'd like to try, so I may grab a bottle while we're there.

After everybody leaves, Rick and I will sit down with the newspaper ads and my Black Friday emails and figure out what time we're leaving to start our shopping. Yes, we're Black Friday shoppers, but we may go in very late Thursday night....we haven't decided yet. For the last several years, our Black Friday has been spent in the stores, so we'll see if there's anything really worth going out into the madness.
Do you ever find anything good on black Friday?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Karen, your menu sounds delicious! I'll come there instead of staying home! 

Stewball, yes, we really have found some good bargains from time to time. We shop primarily for the grandkids, so we're looking for toys and items from their lists. Although we do end up buying things for ourselves as well.

Several years ago, on Black Friday, our grocery store had Keurigs on sale for a little over $60, including tax. That was an absolute steal, even at that time. We got two, one for me at home and one for at us work (my co-worker said he'd pay for that one). We got the last two....there was a couple who came into the store right behind us and they were not amused and complained loudly that we had taken the last two units. I was seriously going to give her one of them, but she got so bitter about the whole thing and started yelling about it. So we kept them both. I still have my Keurig and it still works beautifully. So does the one at work. One of the best deals we found that year. 

I was also looking for a George Foreman Party Grill. It's a round indoor electric grill with a metal cup right in the middle for marinades and such. Well, we happened to be at KMart and finally saw one.....it was the last one there. We bought it and it came with a free small sandwich grill that I use as a panini-type grill. Works out well. And I use the Party Grill quite a bit, too. That was the only store I ever saw it in and I've never seen it since. Makes great grilled meats and veggies, especially grilled potato slices. 

There are some other things that we found on our Black Friday trips, but those two seem to stand out the most. I've managed to add a lot of Winterberry pieces to my collection at a good savings between the sales coupons in the newspaper and the Black Friday store sales.

I think we do it mostly because we enjoy it for the most part. We don't mind getting up in the morning and heading out so we're at the store of our choice when it opens (although this year many stores will be open on Thanksgiving....and I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving. At least I don't think I am. Rick is undecided about going out around midnight or so, so I'm not really sure what we'll do). But we shop for awhile and then stop for a good breakfast somewhere, shop a bit more until the crowds make me spastic. Then it's time to go home....and go back to bed for a nap!

I have over 20 Black Friday emails from the various stores that I have to check out. If there's enough on our list to warrant braving the people, we may try it.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since work is giving us turkeys for Thanksgiving, I will be cooking up a turkey dinner for my brother, nephew and myself the Saturday following Thanksgiving. Menu so far is
Turkey and gravey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin Pie

Definitly going to be an adventure since it is my first turkey that I will be cooking.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You know, I could visit with all of you, enjoy your delicious dinners, and then I wouldn't have to cook! 

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm English but work at an American school and we get a week holiday...so I'm going to visit an American friend in Playa del Carmen, where we'll have dinner. I've been told to bring cranberry sauce but I don't know what else we're eating...a traditional Thanksgiving meal doesn't sound too pleasant next to a hot beach...

I like Thanksgiving...not really very educated on it but in the UK we only have Christmas dinner...I like having an excuse for a second huge meal haha. Every week would be overkill but pigging out twice a year seems about right.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually we host; but this year my Mom and Step-dad are going to visit my Step-dad's family; so we had a little Thanksgiving together this last weekend.  Our plan...pizza.  I'm not even kidding.

Honestly; I'm so glad that this year it's not all about cleaning and cooking.  I want to enjoy my husband and my babies and start decorating for Christmas.  My Dad is coming in a few days after; so I'll do something nicer then.  But yes; pizza!  Unless I change it to something equally as easy.  But it will be easy!!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karen, your menu sounds delicious! I'll come there instead of staying home! :nod:

Stewball, yes, we really have found some good bargains from time to time. We shop primarily for the grandkids, so we're looking for toys and items from their lists. Although we do end up buying things for ourselves as well.

Several years ago, on Black Friday, our grocery store had Keurigs on sale for a little over $60, including tax. That was an absolute steal, even at that time. We got two, one for me at home and one for at us work (my co-worker said he'd pay for that one). We got the last two....there was a couple who came into the store right behind us and they were not amused and complained loudly that we had taken the last two units. I was seriously going to give her one of them, but she got so bitter about the whole thing and started yelling about it. So we kept them both. I still have my Keurig and it still works beautifully. So does the one at work. One of the best deals we found that year. 

I was also looking for a George Foreman Party Grill. It's a round indoor electric grill with a metal cup right in the middle for marinades and such. Well, we happened to be at KMart and finally saw one.....it was the last one there. We bought it and it came with a free small sandwich grill that I use as a panini-type grill. Works out well. And I use the Party Grill quite a bit, too. That was the only store I ever saw it in and I've never seen it since. Makes great grilled meats and veggies, especially grilled potato slices. 

There are some other things that we found on our Black Friday trips, but those two seem to stand out the most. I've managed to add a lot of Winterberry pieces to my collection at a good savings between the sales coupons in the newspaper and the Black Friday store sales.

I think we do it mostly because we enjoy it for the most part. We don't mind getting up in the morning and heading out so we're at the store of our choice when it opens (although this year many stores will be open on Thanksgiving....and I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving. At least I don't think I am. Rick is undecided about going out around midnight or so, so I'm not really sure what we'll do). But we shop for awhile and then stop for a good breakfast somewhere, shop a bit more until the crowds make me spastic. Then it's time to go home....and go back to bed for a nap!

I have over 20 Black Friday emails from the various stores that I have to check out. If there's enough on our list to warrant braving the people, we may try it.
Well you certainly have done very well on black Fridays not that I know anything that you bought except the George foreman grill that I've heard of. The 2 things you bought that were the last two were obviously a good buy. How could that woman behave as she did. It's ridiculous. Did she expect to come and find one waiting for her and to create because they weren't early enough! Well even I wouldn't do that. What do you collect?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karen, your menu sounds delicious! I'll come there instead of staying home! :nod:

The bit about the breakfast sounds nice. You two are a really happy pair aren't you. :-)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since work is giving us turkeys for Thanksgiving, I will be cooking up a turkey dinner for my brother, nephew and myself the Saturday following Thanksgiving. Menu so far is
Turkey and gravey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin Pie

Definitly going to be an adventure since it is my first turkey that I will be cooking.
Just make sure you work the times out according to the weight.