Thanksgiving Plans?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

We're going to my sister's on Black Friday for our Thanksgiving dinner. Her kids can't make it home until Friday morning, so dinner is Friday afternoon. I'm not sure what all she's making; I donated a turkey from our freezer and am making crock pot stuffing. We're taking a huge platter of cookies to snack on (but I have to make them first!) and several bottles of wine. And my BIL asked me to please bring a couple jars of the Old Farmhouse Chutney that I had made back in late summer....he loves that stuff.

When Rick found out about having dinner on Friday, he asked me if I'd make stuffed pork chops on Thursday. I know, that's unusual for Thanksgiving dinner, but since we don't want two really large dinners in a row and we certainly don't want two turkey dinners in a row, the pork will work out fine for us. I'm going to make twice-baked sweet potatoes and dried corn. With mandarin orange and pecan salad. And some cranberry sauce. He hasn't decided what he wants for dessert yet; he'll let me know tonight so I can start working on things. We'll have to get some grocery shopping in sometime tonight.

Usually when I make twice-baked sweet potatoes, I'll bake both one large Russett potato and one large sweet potato. I'll scoop out the potato from both shells. Then I'll mash them separately, each with their own herbs. And I'll put half of each in each of the potato shells and bake them that way. Each shell gets some sweet potato and some white potato...they look so pretty that way. Rick prefers twice-baked sweet potatoes, but I like the Russetts better. So we get a little of each.

Shopping on Black Friday before going to my sister's house. And then we'll start decorating the house for Christmas over the weekend. It's a four-day weekend for me and a five-day weekend for Rick, so life will be good.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm feeling so good and have a lot to be thankful for these days. I plan on taking my niece to deliver turkey dinners to families who are struggling .I got a little money yesterday as a gift so I want to do something extra for people this year.

We've loaded up the car up with items for folks who have pets. We got wet food, dry food, cat food, dog food and a tub of litter. We deliver the meals and if there's a kitty or doggie in the house, then they can eat too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Cheryl, that's great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gary's been feeling under the weather, so we're not doing much this year. We turned down invites, and are going to have Chinese food LOL. Neither of us feels like making a turkey. :lol3: We will spend some time sharing the things for which we're thankful in the spirit of a Thanksgiving as a harvest festival. :nod:

We'll also probably watch Last of the Mohicans, and talk about how it's such a shame that this national holiday is associated with the good will of Native Americans for settlers at Plymouth, when in the end, the colonization of the Americas resulted in the destruction of the Native Americans.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's not a holiday here, so we both have to work. I'm planning on making a mini-Thanksgiving dinner, though - turkey breast, bread dumplings, green beans and a salad.

g-reg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll be trying my best to push for an early exit after lunch at the in-laws!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother is coming in from out of town tomorrow and it will just be me, my parents, and my brother for Thanksgiving and the pets of course. :) I hope everyone has a safe & happy holiday.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're going to our neice Patti's house.   She and her husband, Scott (who is actually my husband's nephew) are in the midst of a divorce.  Scott's  been a real jerk, haven't heard from him in ages, but I guess all families have situations like that.  Patti has the kids for Thanksgiving so we always look forward to seeing them. She and her new boyfriend are living together.  He's a great guy, older than her, but seems to be a great influence.   We were a little apprehensive about meeting him, but we've been there twice and really think the world of him.

I used to make Thanksgiving dinner and kind of miss doing it.  If we weren't leaving on our cruise on 12/3, I'd buy a little turkey breast just for us for the rest of the week, but I want to use up a lot of the meat we have in the freezer.

Hope everyone has a good day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are having dinner here.  As of now it's just us and my Mom and Step-dad coming.  We might have another couple over as well.  Mom and I have split the cooking in half.  She bought one of those stand alone roaster things last year; so she is doing the turkey.  I just have to do sides and clean the house.  I'm baking pies tomorrow.  I'm skipping my homemade yeast rolls this year.  Going simple!  I just need to get to the grocery store for buttermilk for the mashed potatoes.  Walmart was out today.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I will be by ourselves this Thanksgiving as normal. I got the day off, so I will be making a nice meal. Since things are very tight right now, we got a food basket from our church. It had a small turkey (just the right size for us), rolls, stuffing and veggies. There was even a small pumpkin pie.  I got a $20 Albertson's gift card from work. I stopped by there tonight to pick up a few other things we needed.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooking and relaxing. I have to go to work the day after, ugh. Hopefully it'll be a short work day though....

My in-laws will be coming over for dinner. My parents never responded to me about coming down, but I'm not surprised.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has to work. He works for a Christmas Tree farm and I don't think we've had Thanksgiving dinner together in about 15 years. My darling daughter is having dinner at her house. I'm bringing my Mom and brother. DD is cooking and I'm bringing some sides and making the gravy. Most importantly I will be playing wth my grandson while DD is cooking. Yay!!! So there will be DD, DIL, grandson, my mom,my brother and myself.. I'm excited!!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be trying my best to push for an early exit after lunch at the in-laws!

Ditto...we have one dinner for 4 because people have to work...(we really appreciated not being told until yesterday and that was because they thought we knew) and my moms is at 5...as late as she could go to wait for us. So tomororw Im sleeping and lazing all day till we go to the in laws and then df can eat and see his dad and then going to my moms so I can eat and see my family.

I hate holidays....Im going to Pams..lol

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Thanksgiving, I'll be heading to my mother's house. We've not always had the best relationship, but things have changed for the better this year. And, it's working out to look as though we'll have a lovely holiday.

So, it'll be my mother, my younger brother, and my father and his wife (my stepmother). My father and his wife are traveling in from Pennsylvania (I live in Ohio -- as does my mother and younger brother). In holidays past, there have been anywhere from 10-20 people at our Thanksgiving dinners, but, this year, it'll just be the five of us. And, of course, my mother's husky and my father's husky. I thought about bringing one of my dogs, but I thought less chaos would be better -- he he!

We'll be having turkey, a number of different types of stuffing (in bird and out), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes 
, glazed carrots, mashed turnips 
, dinner rolls, and, well, I'm sure I am forgetting something. My mother also made homemade apple, pumpkin, and blueberry crumb pies. And, word is she's making a chocolate pudding pie as well. And, of course, there will be wine and other, ahem, spirits along with chips, dip, and other snacks for before and after the meal.

I thought my father would bow out at the last minute as there is usually loads of drama when he is scheduled to come out this way. But, there was none. So, hopefully today will be a good day. I know I have a lot to be thankful for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I am grateful for you all today!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Cheryl, that's great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Gary's been feeling under the weather, so we're not doing much this year. We turned down invites, and are going to have Chinese food LOL. Neither of us feels like making a turkey. :lol3: We will spend some time sharing the things for which we're thankful in the spirit of a Thanksgiving as a harvest festival. :nod:
We'll also probably watch Last of the Mohicans, and talk about how it's such a shame that this national holiday is associated with the good will of Native Americans for settlers at Plymouth, when in the end, the colonization of the Americas resulted in the destruction of the Native Americans.
Oh MY Gosh - I love that movie too - and totally agree about the demise of Native American's :shame: ...... We always say a prayer in honor of them :nod:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I'm feeling so good and have a lot to be thankful for these days. I plan on taking my niece to deliver turkey dinners to families who are struggling .I got a little money yesterday as a gift so I want to do something extra for people this year.
We've loaded up the car up with items for folks who have pets. We got wet food, dry food, cat food, dog food and a tub of litter. We deliver the meals and if there's a kitty or doggie in the house, then they can eat too.
Oh Cheryl - You are such an amazing person, very caring and compassionate. :clap::clap::clap::clap: We do have SOO much to be thankful for. :hugs::hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We spent the afternoon at my SIL's house. Turkey, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce (my fav), mashed potatoes, green beans, brocolli cheese casserole, carrot's, corn, roll's and jello. Dessert was of course, pumpkin pie, and chocolate cake, brownies, homemade apple pie and ice cream. Makes me feel guilty eating like that when I know there are other's out in the cold, homeless and eating at a local shelter. :sniffle: I usually volunteer a day or two in between Thanksgiving and Christmas at one of our local homeless shelters.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Last edited:

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I celebrated Thanksgiving at my sister's house with my family! It was a lot of fun :)