Thanksgiving Menus?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What are those of you in the US doing? What are you cooking? For those in Canada, what did you do? What did you cook? Did you like or not like some new recipes?

I'm hosting again as usual. I don't have a final number yet, but I will have more than usual here for dinner.

So far my menu includes -

Turkey with gravy
Spiral ham
Beef roast done in the instant pot
Rolls with butter
Mashed potatoes can be made ahead. recipe - Pioneer Womans Delicious, Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Genius Kitchen
Homemade cranberry sauce recipe - Recipes - Side Dishes And Vegetables
Canned cranberry sauce
Macaroni and cheese recipe - Recipes - Side Dishes And Vegetables
Portuguese chourico stuffing
French meat stuffing - Recipes - Side Dishes And Vegetables
Wild Rice. sausage and apple dressing
Green beans
My SIL will bring carrots and turnips

I'll put out some chips, dips and a cheese plate
shrimp scampi dip Shrimp Scampi Dip - Damn Delicious
My SIL is bringing some type of appetizer as well.

For dessert we have a chocolate candy bark Halloween Peanut Butter and Toffee Candy Bark Recipe ,
chocolate chip cookies
Ultimate Cookies and cream oreo cake - Ultimate Cookies and Cream Oreo Cake | Brown Eyed Baker
I'm going to make a Snickerdoodle cheesecake and have it in the freezer. My brother often brings a cheesecake sampler, so I may not pull it out. If I don't I'm sure I will use it during the Christmas season. Snickerdoodle Cheesecake

The drink situation is a little crazy. Plenty of wine and bottled beer. I premix a bunch of cocktails and have them set up to help yourself. So far it's going to be cranberry margaritas, cinnamon sours, a drink I made up that the family refers to as a "fall mai tai", pumpkin martinis and a red wine and rum fall sangria.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For the first time in forever, it is just Rick and me for Thanksgiving dinner. We may go to my niece's family for a dinner on Saturday, depending on how her FIL is doing (he is not well). So, in the meantime, it's Rick and me. I'm kind of excited about it, although it's going to be a little difficult to scale down a bit....I'm so used to cooking for an army. And Rick is already warning me to be careful and not make a ton of food. Leftovers are nice, but not for a week! :lol: The smallest turkey we could find last night was 13 pounds; after working with 24-25 pounders for so long, this should be a piece of cake....er, turkey. And Rick said he wants dried corn, but then last night he said he wanted Ina's corn pudding; once he makes up his mind, I'll figure it out. I have the ingredients for both.

Good Eats Roast Turkey
Crock Pot Stuffing (which is going to be interesting to scale down)
Party Potatoes or Sweet Potato Casserole (which is made with pecans, raisins, and apricots with maple syrup)
Some kind of corn dish -- see above
Pumpkin Crescent Rolls (will make them this weekend and toss in the freezer)
Cranberry Relish (made and is in the freezer)
Praline Pumpkin Pie
Maple Sugar Cookie Cutouts in leaves and turkeys

We're going to spend Thanksgiving evening with Rick's mom and her roommate; I'm taking our pumpkin pie and cookies to them and we'll all share. We asked her if she thought she could make it down to our house and she doesn't think so as she's pretty much in a wheel chair now. Even to get her in the back door at the kitchen from the deck would be a challenge at this point.

And then we'll come home and go through all the ads in the newspaper and work on lists for BF!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea. I asked DD what she wants and she said that she doesn't care. :doh: :sigh:

I will be roasting a bone in skin on chicken breast for the kids. That I do know. They love that.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the kids are grown on their own with kids of their own and I am back to an apartment I don't do the big Thanksgiving dinner anymore. I make something to take. My thing to take is always a sweet potato casserole with a pecan topping. That is what is expected from me. I usually either make or buy one or two other things just so I feel like I am doing my part. I know there will be turkey, stuffing, two kinds of potatoes, gravy and homemade cranberry sauce. Everything else changes from year to year. Of course there are several different kinds of pie, two of which is always pumpkin and apple.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to my cousin's for T-day. She will have the 'works"
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Canned Cranberry Sauce ~~ we are that type of family
rolls
In years past, we also had a ham.. I do not think we had one last year.

tons of cookies
Pumpkin Pie
Custard Pie

Beer
Wine
Soda
Spring Water
Cider
Prosecco
Sparkling Apple Cider

This year there will not be any many as usual. My Aunt is in a Nursing Home and cannot mange to attend. My other cousin will be with her mom, cooking T-food for her.

The "kids" all have 2 families to visit ~ theirs and their finance's

It is dwindling.. used to have 18 people now, much less.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i won't be making a big Thanksgiving meal, as it's just me here. however, i'll be roasting a turkey somewhere in the 17-19 lbs range the weekend before Thanksgiving. i'll just pop the frozen turkey in my fridge after i get it home, and give it probably 3-4 days to thaw, then i'll roast it! :yummy:

i plan on having turkey sandwiches for several days, and the rest will be portioned and frozen -- some to use for making sandwiches, and the rest to use for making turkey enchiladas.

i look forward to buying a turkey every year! our local Wegmans has a 'special' where if you buy $25 worth of groceries (and can include the cost of the turkey), their frozen whole turkeys cost 48 cents/lb. last year it was $50 worth of groceries, and the frozen whole turkeys were 49 cents/lb, so it varies a bit from year to year. i'm not a huge turkey fan, i usually prefer roast chicken, but at those prices i'll buy it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , our Giant had their turkeys for 29 cents a pound the other night with no minimum grocery price; that's when we got our 13-pounder. If the prices are like that on Monday, when we go again, I may buy another one (or two) small one(s) and throw them in the freezer for later.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our son and his wife always do the Thanksgiving dinner. I just bring whatever I get assigned to cook. Usually it is the bowl of collards and a sweet potato dish.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom , our Giant had their turkeys for 29 cents a pound the other night with no minimum grocery price; that's when we got our 13-pounder. If the prices are like that on Monday, when we go again, I may buy another one (or two) small one(s) and throw them in the freezer for later.
oh my!!! 29 cents per pound turkeys -- the stuff my dreams are made of! :bliss:

i'd buy another one or two turkeys at that price, to throw in the freezer too!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The store I usually go to has their store brand turkeys for 49 cents a pound with an additional $20 purchase. It isn't the cheapest place in the area so there are probably cheaper ones available.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever else, my menu is going to include a 25 layer gluten free chocolate cake. My cousins wife makes them and has agreed to do one for me if I buy the 2 cake mixes it takes to make the cake. My experience is the King Arthur cake mix makes the best layer cake. They are more moist than some of the others. A cake like this lasts a long time because it is really more like eating a piece of candy with so many layers of chocolate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not all of the stores around here are advertising their turkeys yet, but the lowest I’ve seen is 39 cents with a $25 purchase.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as usual I imagine.

Turkey and gravy
stuffing
mashed potatoes
glazed sweet potatoes and/or sweet potato casserole
Brussel sprouts with bacon and bacon dressing
corn casserole
cole slaw with apples and walnuts
pickled eggs and beets
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce
pumpkin pie
pear jello (green jello with halved pears stuffed with a cream cheese and walnut mixture)

The optionals:
celery salad
green been casserole
corn (if no corn bread casserole)

Then after the dinner we make "bobbys" and have those for leftover night and subsequent nights, which are:
Bun with turkey, stuffing, cranberry, mayonnaise to make a Thanksgiving sandwich aka a bobby

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, it turns out we definitely are going to my niece's for Thanksgiving now. So I don't have to get a turkey out of the freezer or deal with much of anything. The cookies are done and in the freezer. My sister called me yesterday to see if I could throw together an apple pie (my nephew said he'd rather have apple pie than pumpkin pie); I have four of them in the freezer, so that's easy enough. I'll get one of the PA Dutch apple crumb pies out Wednesday morning, let it thaw a bit, and then throw it into the oven to bake. She asked me about making some cranberry relish (it was always one of our Mom's holiday foods and I'm the only one who makes it now), so I can do that on Wednesday. So I'm taking the pumpkin crescent rolls, an assortment of cookies, the cranberry relish, and an apple pie.

Our nephew bought a turkey fryer and has decided to fry the turkey this year. Our son did a fried turkey one time for Thanksgiving and it was really good.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Homemade yeast rolls

My brother is picking up snacks but I do know we’re probably making spinach artichoke dip.

Dessert will be pumpkin pie and a chocolate cream pie.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner will be at my cousin's, late: Turkey, stuffing, gravy, roasted sweet potatoes, perhaps mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn, rolls....and yes, canned cranberry sauce

Pie and cookies for dessert.

I bought a 1/2 bone in turkey breast from Trader Joes. I am going to make that for
myself, either Friday or Saturday--soft things for me. I am not fond of turkey, but the rest of the stuff I like.

I will have my turkey breast, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce and baked squash.. that is more than enough for me.. pumpkin pie for dessert. These can last a few days. Periodontist appointment is on Monday afternoon.. so the timing will be right..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I will figure all that out when I get to the grocery store tomorrow after work. DD is zero help. I was thinking maybe roast beef with mashed potatoes and salad. She likes all of that and the kids go nuts for steak or roast beef. Especially Sophie. Lily likes any kind of roasted meat but Sophie loses her mind for beef. She will sit next to me and holler until she gets some. I can't season it because I know I will be sharing mine. :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be going to my sister's house. She is having turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn pudding and she is making her own cranberry sauce. My brother is bringing home made bread, squash and wine. I'm bringing snacks and my nephew is bringing home made pumpkin and apple pies that his wife made.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make a turkey breast in the crock pot. I'll start it about nine in the morning, figuring it will take about six hours on low. For sides I have mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and peas. Pumpkin pie for dessert.