Thanksgiving / holiday dinner

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, you all. I saw this article talking about "pickle wraps"---cold cuts rolled up with cream cheese and a pickle inside. They say it's a midwest/Minnesota thing. I've never heard of them! And I've been to plenty of local potlucks/church dinners/family dinners. Anybody here make these?
Are pickle wraps on your Thanksgiving table?
Yum. Those are good. I haven't had them in ages.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd like them. I like cream cheese and pickles. . .can take or leave cold cuts. Sounds like they might be yummy. But being this close to Minnesota, I'm surprised I haven't seen them before.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had heard of them but never had them. I don't care for pickles. Cold cuts are something that I was never that crazy about, I always saw them as something quick and easy. I very rarely get turkey or ham. I think they are overpriced, at least the ones I occasionally get and I don't need all that extra salt.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The table was set
Thanksgiving Dinner_2020-11_table is set.jpg
(we ate in the kitchen)
Menu was braised venison sirloin steak with wild mushroom gravy,
oven roasted potatoes, steamed Brussels sprouts and

Phillips Farm Market_2020-11_colorful carrots.jpg
colorful braised carrots - here they are before cooking.
The purple carrots are orange inside. All taste the same.

Thanksgiving Dinner_2020-11_plated.jpg
Here's the meal, plated up. Purple carrot invisible to left of yellow one.

And fruitcake (well aged, last year's well brandied) for dessert.

Not very traditional, the sprouts were overcooked. But otherwise a delicious meal.​

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, you all. I saw this article talking about "pickle wraps"---cold cuts rolled up with cream cheese and a pickle inside. They say it's a midwest/Minnesota thing. I've never heard of them! And I've been to plenty of local potlucks/church dinners/family dinners. Anybody here make these?
Are pickle wraps on your Thanksgiving table?
Pickle roll ups are delicious. We do Buddig sliced beef and Polish dill pickles in the roll up along with the cream cheese. I didn’t make their this year but for many Thanksgiving dinners at my sisters. Also used to bring them to work any time there was a potluck.

To make them you need room temp cream cheese. You lay out two pieces of Buddig’s which is very thin and use a dab of cream cheese to stick the two pieces end to end. Then you smear it with cream cheese, start a pickle at one end and roll up. Set these on a pan or plate and continue until you have made the quantity you want. Then refrigerate for an hour or so until the cream cheese hardens in. Remove and slice the pickles into quarter inch slices. If you are bringing them somewhere you should hold off slicing until you are ready to serve.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom You know, I bet that pineapple and bacon would be decadent in the NFG!
C catapault Your meal looks simply wonderful!

I think I've done my last whole Thanksgiving turkey. It's usually just Rick and me for T-Day and it's too much, even with freezing leftover turkey. This year, Bob (co-worker) helped us munch down, but we still had a lot of leftover bird. We sent Bob home with a ton of food.

From here on in, we agreed, that a turkey breast will fit our needs quite nicely. Unless we do a really, really small bird. No chicken or Cornish hens as Dear Richard doesn't want them for Thanksgiving.

That being said, yesterday's dinner was so good. Leftover stuffing went into the freezer. We have enough baked corn, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy for today. I'm going to puree the leftover butternut squash cubes and make Butternut Bisque tonight. We'll have another feast tonight.

I'm also done with using canned pumpkin and trying to find it during the holidays. The "pumpkin" pie, made with butternut, was really good with cinnamon whipped cream. I had a slice of the apple pie, too; this was the apple butter apple pie (I mislabeled pies!) and that recipe is a keeper.

susanm9006 susanm9006 And I "only" burned myself once, a nice burn on my left hand. The oven is cleaning as I type.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

View attachment 360217
colorful braised carrots - here they are before cooking.
The purple carrots are orange inside. All taste the same.

I love those multi-colored carrots. I get them at Trader Joe's. I made these Wednesday as part of a pre-holiday vegetarian feast.

These had just come out of the oven, roasted with an Asian-type sauce (soy, sesame oil, garlic and ginger powders).
IMG_0048.jpeg

Then I mixed them with stir-fried cauliflower, summer squash, onion, and fresh garlic, all topped with cilantro.
IMG_0049.jpeg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a smaller turkey this year than what I usually do,and I don't think I'll do that again.I'm used to cooking a 20 pounder,and I always have a ton of leftovers and plenty to send home with the kids.Then I always have a big carcass to stick in the freezer for soup.Oh there's some for dinner tonight,and the carcass is in the freezer along with the legs,etc.I was able to send some home with the kids but I'll tell ya...the breast on this butterball was kinda scrawney.Yes...very flavorful and juicy,but all my turkeys are.Live and learn I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom how did you like the skillet chicken and cranberry recipe?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom how did you like the skillet chicken and cranberry recipe?
I really enjoyed it!!
I took your suggestion about the sauce, doubling the amount. It came out so good. Very easy to make, and so festive looking.. You were right.. it needed more sauce..

It was so funny when I was making the sauce. Never having used fresh cranberries, I was sautéing them, and I kept hearing 'popping'.. honestly, I thought my refrigerator or freezer was breaking down. It took a good 30 seconds for me to realize the cranberries were popping!! as in popcorn!!
So funny. make me chuckle.

I am going to freeze some of it... for a later date.

For me, having it with the rice pilaf, and the green beans were good options. Easy meal.. I microwaved the green beans for 5 minutes, and the rice pilaf was easy...

Such a great meal..
It would make anyone a very easy Festive Christmas Dinner, also....

Thanks for posting the recipe!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you enjoyed the recipe :)

I bought some Bell's Seasoning today and only realized when I got home that the "Best By" date is Oct. 31, 2020 😮 I got it from the baking aisle, not the big messy, spice covered display. Seasoning mix doesn't go bad so I'll keep it for myself and get another box to send to a friend. Bell's is apparently not sold in grocery stores outside of New England. You can buy it online at various places.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's everyone planning for Christmas and New Year's dinners? I have no idea yet. It may just be some Shake and Bake chicken or something easy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up my usual Christmas meal: A tiny ham. I will bake/reaheat in oven with some pineapple slices. Along with mashed potatoes, string beans... that is about it.. easy..

It is boring..
Wondering about something different.. but with Covid being so rampant, I am not sure if I will be able to get to the grocery store for fresh ingredients. Butcher is easy. I can call in an order, and have it delivered curbside.

My mind is just not in the cooking mood. I have a ton of recipes; yet want something easy.. but different.

New Years is another question. Not sure about that.. may just have order a pizza... I have a couple of appetizers from TJ's in my freezer, I can have them for NYE... not a big deal for me.. but...

I will be watching this thread or any other ones for Christmas Recipes....