Thanksgiving Dessert?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to decide what to make for dessert for our Thanksgiving dinner. Rick just wants a pumpkin pie. Rick's mother wants a chocolate-salted-caramel pecan pie; I made one last year, I think it was, and it was a huge hit. And my GF's husband asked me about sugar cookies; he's really hungry for sugar cookies and he knows that I usually have some kind of cookie on the dessert tray. Me, I was just going to get an apple pie out of the freezer.

I guess I'm making all of the above. I'll make the sugar cookies the weekend before Thanksgiving and throw them into the freezer. And then the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, I'll make the pies. And I think we'll let the apple pie go for another time.

What are you making for Thanksgiving dessert? Anything in particular? You're welcome to come here to central PA!

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I always make icebox cake with the Famous* chocolate wafers & homemade whipped cream, garnished with lots of chopped walnuts and maraschino cherries. If I didn't make it, my friends who I spend Thanksgiving with might actually disown me at this point. :flail:

(*I dunno why they're called Famous, seems like no one's ever heard of them)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin pie (mom's recipe). It is the best pie I've ever had and it will be lucky if it makes it through the night. May have to make 2.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not a baker, or for that matter much of a cook,so I will probably just pick up a pumpkin pie. The other desserts all sound yummy, though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Costco has a big/oversize pumpkin pie made with the same pumpkin that libbys uses, if I'm traveling this is the one :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We often have Thanksgiving with other people so we don't make dinner here. But I always make pumpkin parfait squares sometime during the Thanksgiving season. It's an old recipe that used to be on Libby's pumpkin cans, and my mom made it every year for T-Day.

unnamed.jpg

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Oops I forgot a pic... Here's what was left of last year's (TWO) icebox cakes last Thanksgiving.. I have to admit, it's always a point of pride to have my dessert get wiped out at a function before others' do... :)

Attachments

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Considering that it will just be me and the cat kids I can have whatever I want. Maybe I'll pick up a key lime pic from Publix. They have good ones. I'll leave it in the freezer and pick at just because I CAN. :bunnydance:

Winchester Winchester you know you'll make all of it. Who else thinks Rick's favorite snickerdoodles will also wind up sharing the cookie tray?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always want pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. There are always different kinds of pie and cake there but I always want a slice of pumpkin pie. I then usually grab a serving of some other dessert to take home for the next day.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I always have to make chocolate chip cookies and candy bark. I found a recipe for pumpkin mousse I'm going to try as well. Every year I make a big cake. I was trying to decide between four recipes and last night I went though them with my husband and decided on the chocolate salted caramel cake.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We go for the classic in my house. I'm thinking of tweaking the pumpkin pie this year and do mini cupcake sized pies, that way my dad doesn't eat the whole pie himself.:lol:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really only eat dessert on holidays. Between being allergic to milk products and inheriting a salt tooth instead of a sweet tooth I eat desserts rarely. But this year we will do a non-dairy pumpkin pie or non-dairy ice-cream.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my kids would disown me if I didn't do my pumpkin pie and my (have to brag a little - numerous awards winning :)) apple pie. Truthfully, I have baked it so often that I am kind of tired of it and would rather try something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to make a pumpkin chiffon pie at some point during the season. I like it, but it turns out that nobody else really does. Oh, they'll eat it if I make it, but they'd just rather have a plain pumpkin pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I made that pumpkin chiffon pie for quite a few years. Then one day, our son came home and asked, "What's for dinner, what's for dessert?" When I told him I had made a pumpkin chiffon pie, I could actually see his face fall. And then he admitted it: He really didn't like it. Neither did Rick. When I asked them why they didn't tell me, they said they knew I liked it, so they ate it. I've never made a pumpkin chiffon pie since.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I worked 34 out of 72 hours so far this week. And there was a blizzard.
By the time I finally got to the grocery store last night, the chocolate wafers to make icebox cake were gone.
IMG_20181121_192747_069.jpg
I may or may not have cried.
I called 5 stores, nowhere to be found.
I may or may not have cried AGAIN.

People love my icebox cake and I feel awful I can't make it for them this year! It's just bizarre I always joke about how they're called "Famous" but no one's ever heard of them but suddenly this year everyone has?

So I went to the bakery department to find some kinda inferior substitute dessert .. I asked the poor overworked kid behind the counter if it was too late to get something written. He sighed a little and said that could be done. I asked if he was allowed to write swear words. That cheered him up quick! Then he said, "Only one problem, there's only this ugly bright green icing left."
I reassured him, "Oh, no, yeah, that's actually even more perfect."

So here's what I'll bring today. (pic is edited in case anyone's offended)
20181122_084422.jpg

A few customers and cashiers had a good laugh, anyways.