Thanksgiving 2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A very Happy Thanksgiving to all! Thank you for being a part of my life! :grouphug::grouphug2: To everybody who is traveling, near and far, drive safely!

I'm taking a few minutes to finish my coffee before I start cooking. Pie is done, cookies are done, and we're getting ready to take Mr. Turkey out of his brine.

Leftovers are a great part of today!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my Un traditional T-day came out really good. It was so good to find out that I can still cook!! follow a recipe and have it come out good... Yes, a few mistakes--goofs, but I was able to readjust.. and it was good.
I have tons of leftovers...

It was a lot of work, Geoffrey was completely ignored and afraid of coming into the kitchen for his food. I felt bad about tht.. but it was only for a few hours.. ... Now, he is fine..

Dinner is over, dishes washed... not put away, just air drying.
The worst part is this apartment has absolutely no room for cooking... It takes a lot of planning on where to put things and how to manage.
I used paper bowls for the ingredients. Yes, I wasted a lot, but it was easier on me than using up all my dishes, and having to wash them immediately.
~~~~~~~~
The only thing: my Microwave cart, which I am using as a kitchen island, kind of... broke..
I am bummed. It was a nice connection with my dad. We both put it together when I got my first apartment. That was in 1985... It was a really good quality.
The drawer was stuck. I could not find out what was causing it from opening. I use the drawer for my silverware, and some utensils. The bottom shelf is for my plastic containers and wine, vodka. tall EVOO bottles... and a large container of Geoffrey's dry food.
It was stuck both from the bottom-- something right up against the drawer, and from the top--- it got off track..
I pulled the handle to open it, and the top front pulled right off!! dam..
I took all the stuff from the out from the drawer and found the thin pressed wood bottom of the drawer was warped, from the weight of the silverware and utensils... ugh..

There is no way of fixing it.. I pulled the front off--screws pulled off with it.. and the bottom does not fit the tracks... dam...
~~~~
Went on line.. Either I get one at Kohls and see if one of the workers can put it together for me; paying him.
Or
I order from Wayfair-- more expensive, and pay $150 for someone from them to put it together for me. I am tempted to go with this.. This way, I do not have to bother anyone from here.

Not what I need at this time of year.. dam.. m
but I was calm... did not get upset when it happened. Just kind of figure, I am going to be penniless, very soon...damI need it.. I cannot get by without a cart. No space in here .

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I went to my brother’s house and he did a clam boil. There were a decent variety of desserts as well. I picked up a turkey breast that I’ll make this weekend with some stuffing, mashed potatoes and I’ll try a new shredded Brussels sprouts recipe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom That bites. I'm sorry about your cart. Not just the cart, but the memories. I hope that, somehow, it's salvageable.

We did good yesterday for our T-dinner. Rick was in big charge of the turkey on the grill. It was really good, but even he says that he started out at a higher heat than what he should have. It was darker than we wanted, but it had an excellent taste. We'll definitely do that again! I used what ended up in the drip pan for our gravy and....yum!

Instead of using the KA mixer for my mashed potatoes, I put them through the ricer. I don't know why; I guess I've been reading a lot of about a ricer versus a mixer. And I have Rick's mom's ricer and figured I'd give it a shot. I like them through the ricer better. I don't know that I'd want to do that for a really large amount of potatoes though. But it was just the two of us.

And I don't know if it's just that it's been a while since we had pumpkin pie or what, but it was yummy. I put my pie dough together on Tuesday, rolled it out on Wednesday and made little turkey cut-outs with the leftover dough. Used the cut-outs to decorate the pie. And we had freshly whipped cream. I'll never go back to the Dough-Boy. This pie dough is simply perfect.

The girls had turkey, lots of turkey! While Rick was carving, he set a few pieces aside for them. After the pieces cooled, we shredded them and served the cats. They were prancing all over the kitchen. They ate before we did! And while we were eating dinner, they were on the floor next to us, waiting for turkey to "drop".

Good dinner.

How about you? Did you try something new? Was it a hit or a miss?

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it really stinks. I loved that cart. I really did..It is so pretty and strong. I still cannot believe my dad and I put it together. It took a couple of days, but we did it. I did a lot of it, because my hands were smaller than my dad's. He hand tightened all the screws. It was a project for us. I knew he hated putting it together.. but, he did it for me...

I need to change over my silverware from that unusable drawer my large utensil drawer. I never realized how often I open that drawer for silverware.

And I need to switch all the stuff from under the cart to another cabinet.. that is going to be a chore and a half.

I think I want to take advantage of the Black Friday sales, and Cyber Monday. Just not sure if I should even chance it and ask one of the guys to put a new cart together, or pay the money from Wayfair, to have them send someone to put it together for me.

I wish this place had a handyman.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it really stinks. I loved that cart. I really did..It is so pretty and strong. I still cannot believe my dad and I put it together. It took a couple of days, but we did it. I did a lot of it, because my hands were smaller than my dad's. He hand tightened all the screws. It was a project for us. I knew he hated putting it together.. but, he did it for me...

I need to change over my silverware from that unusable drawer my large utensil drawer. I never realized how often I open that drawer for silverware.

And I need to switch all the stuff from under the cart to another cabinet.. that is going to be a chore and a half.

I think I want to take advantage of the Black Friday sales, and Cyber Monday. Just not sure if I should even chance it and ask one of the guys to put a new cart together, or pay the money from Wayfair, to have them send someone to put it together for me.

I wish this place had a handyman.
Just another thought. I don’t know if you are signed up for Next Door or Facebook but either one might help you advertise for and connect with a handyman or carpenter that could repair your cart.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a wonderful day,busy as it was,but we always enjoy when the kids visit,no matter what we eat.Try something new...yup!Made my own summer sausage-delish.Pie crust stirred up in your pie pan (it's like a shortbread crust)-I may never roll a crust again!Cranberry relish (throwback from my Grandma)-a big hit with 3 out of 4.Shaved brussel sprouts sauteed with bacon,onion,a splash of pinot,and a chopped honeycrisp apple-to die for and my daughter in law wanted the recipe (and all the leftovers of it).Cracker spread of cream cheese,sour cream,chopped green onion,worcestershire sauce,shredded cheddar and finely chopped dried cranberries-who knew it was wonderful!Great day had by all!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just another thought. I don’t know if you are signed up for Next Door or Facebook but either one might help you advertise for and connect with a handyman or carpenter that could repair your cart.
I asked the only maintenance worker in today, if he could come up and look at it. He ended up spending about 20 minutes wit it. He tried caulking it together. Right now, the drawer is partially open. He said to keep it that way for at least 24 hours. I am still going to switch the items in the drawers, so it is not used as much. I will put the heavy silverware in another drawer, and use it as a 'junk' drawer for the long handled utensils, and those which are not used very often.

Fingers crossed, it holds.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Husband and I spent the day only with each other. My brother had offered to drive us down to my sisters house but only if his 2 older daughters didn't want to drive down themselves. In the end, they wanted to go with him so that was that. I'm getting a bit too old to make the 1-1/2 hour drive; between a bad arm problem and night-blindness when driving it's become too hard to do (husband does not drive).

Anyway, took the opportunity to totally do a different meal than normal. I roasted a duck and made an apple cider gravy to serve over it. Sides were mushroom risotto, green beans with shallots and brown mushrooms and cornbread with honey butter. Apple pie for dessert.

Our younger cat really loved the duck lol.

I have a LOT of duck meat left over which I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet. Thinking about pulling all of it off the carcass and using the bones to do a duck stock. Duck soup anyone? :lol: