Thanksgiving 2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't win. So we have a 13-pound turkey that's been in the fridge and is thawing nicely.

It's going to be around 50 degrees on Thursday. Dear Richard has decided he wants to grill the turkey. Now, I don't have a problem with that. But I just bought that roaster and I'm dying to try it. :sigh: I've decided that we will do a baked ham for our Christmas dinner (with the two of us) and I can use the roaster for the ham. So that's settled.

But I asked Rick if he wanted to brine Mr. Turkey or if we'll just going to inject it. If he wants to inject it, I need to get my injector out and make sure it works OK. We can either brine it in the basement in the turkey bucket (it's a bucket that I use only for turkey) and tons of ice to keep it cold. Or we can inject the turkey with a mixture of apple cider, herbs, etc. Either way is OK. But I'd really like to know what's going on. I'll need to make the brine tomorrow morning so it's ready for tomorrow night.

I asked him if the grill will accommodate a 13-pound turkey. I think it should be OK, if we take the warming rack out. Rick said, "Yeah, I'll check it." And here we are. I asked Rick if the turkey can be whole or if we should spatchcock the thing. "I don't know. I'll think about it."

So what's going on with Mr. Turkey? Darned if I know!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I found a nice half turkey breast at Publix on Sunday so we'll have that. I got some seeded rye bread from the bakery for the leftover sandwiches. I think I'm looking forward to those more. :lol:
I'm always looking forward to the sandwiches!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always looking forward to the sandwiches!
Not me. I am always totally sick of smelling turkey, cleaning up turkey and don’t want to taste it. I send the leftovers away with everyone except for a few frozen turkey dinners for mom. This year it’s just all going. The only leftover I like to have is the pretzel salad.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Is that the strawberry pretzel salad? OMGosh, that is a huge favorite around here! We went down to visit the kids a couple months ago and our grandson asked me to make something strawberry. I made strawberry pretzel salad, which is a family favorite on Rick's side of the family. And it was a big hit down there, too. In fact, our grandson asked me to consider making it for Christmas this year.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
So we are brining the turkey Wednesday night, starting at midnight. And then Rick will be grilling with applewood chips over indirect heat. He doesn't want to spatchcock the thing. We'll see how things go. If it does get really windy out, we'll transfer to the oven.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Is that the strawberry pretzel salad? OMGosh, that is a huge favorite around here! We went down to visit the kids a couple months ago and our grandson asked me to make something strawberry. I made strawberry pretzel salad, which is a family favorite on Rick's side of the family. And it was a big hit down there, too. In fact, our grandson asked me to consider making it for Christmas this year.
Oh yes. Pretzel crumb bottom, layer of cream cheese/cool whip mix, jello with sliced strawberries on top. I am in charge of making it for every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think it’s a pain to make but everyone loves it. You have started bring it and now, every holiday.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
For my very non-traditional, Itaiian-ish Thanksgiving Day Meal, I took the pork tenderloin out of the freezer, to thaw in there refrigerator.
This morning, I went to the grocery store, and picked up all the perishables.. and another pumpkin pie.. I am making a pig of myself, this year, with Pumpkin pie!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
And my Thanksgiving dinner guest list has gone from 10 to 7. My nephew and his girlfriend are sick with some sort of cold crud and his younger brother doesnt want to come if his older brother isn’t there. So I am going to have a great deal of food to send home with everyone. I always pick up extra containers so I am prepared.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And my Thanksgiving dinner guest list has gone from 10 to 7. My nephew and his girlfriend are sick with some sort of cold crud and his younger brother doesnt want to come if his older brother isn’t there. So I am going to have a great deal of food to send home with everyone. I always pick up extra containers so I am prepared.
The leftovers are the best part.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey day! Up at 7:00, bird in the oven at 8:00. I must say all those COVID packs of rubber gloves came in handy - its nice to not have raw turkey stuff under my fingernails. I will finish a cup or two of coffee, take a shower, and then do another vacuum. No other cooking to do until late morning.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey day! Up at 7:00, bird in the oven at 8:00. I must say all those COVID packs of rubber gloves came in handy - its nice to not have raw turkey stuff under my fingernails. I will finish a cup or two of coffee, take a shower, and then do another vacuum. No other cooking to do until late morning.
I use disposable gloves, all the time. I worked in a hospital, so gloves were always changed with each patient. I love the fact that I can use dump them in teh trash when I touch poultry or do something 'icky'...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!