Thanksgiving 2022

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our Thanksgiving menu really never changes around here. That's the way Dear Richard likes it; he's very much a traditionalist for Thanksgiving (especially) and Christmas.

Roast Turkey (It may be too warm to brine the turkey in the basement, even in the ice chest, this year, but we'll see.)
Crock Pot Stuffing
Party Potatoes with Turkey Gravy
Sagaponek Corn Pudding
Ina’s Roasted Winter Vegetables
Mom’s Cranberry Relish
Applesauce
Pumpkin Pie
Maple Sugar Cookies (rolled and cut into leaf shapes)
Iced Tea and Coffee
Autumn Harvest Blush (from our favorite local winery)

Dinner is at 4:00. You're all invited!

What's on your menu??

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not sure. I'm not into turkey nor Thanksgiving. Years ago, we stopped doing Thanksgiving, as we had to celebrate Christmas the next day with DH's family. It was the only day we could get everyone together. I'd spend Thanksgiving cooking, cleaning and decorating (I just can't do Christmas decorations any earlier!). It's just DH and I. I hate turkey, but I'll make turkey for the cats and DH will keep some for his TV dinners. I also make turkey for the feral colony, along with gravy, green beans, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots and canned pumpkin (their "pie) for their dessert. I also do this for their Christmas dinner. (I also dump cans of cat food into the mix. Looks disgusting!) We sometimes would go to a Thanksgiving buffet, but nobody is having them this year. Maybe that's better--I got food poisoning the last time! I'm looking forward to staying home and relaxing. Or cleaning out the attic. When we were finally able to do Christmas in December, that was our Thanksgiving tradition. DH would bring everything from the attic into the living room. We'd de-clutter, clean up the living room, then go out to a buffet. It was kind of fun!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will again be the two of us, plus two cats, at home. I have not really settled on a main course let alone a menu. Could do something venison - there's locavore roasts etc in the freezer. Or pheasant, getting a couple of birds from the nearby farm that raises them. Either one, it would be lovely to make chestnut puree to go with. I just hate peeling the inner brown skin, which our daughter used to do for me when she was still living at home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of our daughters who lives here will join us. She and I will be cooking but we have to find a recipe for 3 that includes one vegetarian, one vegan and one meat eater. My sister made a vegan shepherd's pie last year and gave me the recipe so I'm thinking about making it with a few minor changes. DH does not particularly like turkey so he agreed to try it. There has to be pumpkin pie since it's one of my favorites.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Thanksgiving menu really never changes around here. That's the way Dear Richard likes it; he's very much a traditionalist for Thanksgiving (especially) and Christmas.

Roast Turkey (It may be too warm to brine the turkey in the basement, even in the ice chest, this year, but we'll see.)
Crock Pot Stuffing
Party Potatoes with Turkey Gravy
Sagaponek Corn Pudding
Ina’s Roasted Winter Vegetables
Mom’s Cranberry Relish
Applesauce
Pumpkin Pie
Maple Sugar Cookies (rolled and cut into leaf shapes)
Iced Tea and Coffee
Autumn Harvest Blush (from our favorite local winery)

Dinner is at 4:00. You're all invited!

What's on your menu??
I will be there at 3pm, to help out!! and get a head start on everything!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just me and the cats so nothing major.

I have a huge turkey thigh in the freezer. I might roast that or a half turkey breast if I can find one that's not too big. The girls adore turkey. Lilith runs around hollering when she smells it roasting. :angrycat:

Cranberry sauce
Stuffing. I bought this last night at Publix. Savannah Classics Cornbread Dressing | Savannah, TN
Salad

The leftover turkey will become sandwiches with the cranberry and stuffing. One of the best sandwiches ever. Some of the turkey will be chopped up and added to the girls' meals as a topper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will be there at 3pm, to help out!! and get a head start on everything!!
Or.....you could come in on Wednesday afternoon and have dinner with us on Thursday. And spend a long weekend with us and go back home the following Monday! The WeShed awaits you and I can always use a helping hand to decorate the TWT!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Or.....you could come in on Wednesday afternoon and have dinner with us on Thursday. And spend a long weekend with us and go back home the following Monday! The WeShed awaits you and I can always use a helping hand to decorate the TWT!
❤Thanks, but no.. I cannot leave Geoffrey... 👩‍❤️‍👩👩‍❤️‍👩 He is at a good point right now.. Played with a wand toy yesterday morning, this morning. The other night, he had the zoomies, with a ball! He is seeing the Vet on the 18th. Hopefully, we will have a good report. Geoffrey seems to be on a pretty good routine. He is even more loving.. but a bit more aggressive, (short tempered)-- probably due to the steroids... but still a sweet sweet boy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There will be ten of us for thanksgiving, I am cooking/hosting.

turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Oven baked stuffing
Glazed roasted carrots
Corn
Gravy
Relish tray - stuffed celery, olives, artichoke hearts, jelled cranberry
bread basket
Pretzel jello salad

Dessert will be pumpkin and cherry pie

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
There will be ten of us for thanksgiving, I am cooking/hosting.

turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Oven baked stuffing
Glazed roasted carrots
Corn
Gravy
Relish tray - stuffed celery, olives, artichoke hearts, jelled cranberry
bread basket
Pretzel jello salad

Dessert will be pumpkin and cherry pie
sounds so good! Bless you for doing so much cooking...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I thin-- art this point, that I am going to make Parmesan Pork tenderloin. I have a Pork tenderloin in the freezer. I will use that...
I am going to pound that into medallions, sauté and make a Parmesan sauce to go with it... Of course .garlic is in the sauce..It is not a creamy sauce... but with mushrooms, garlic. The pork is coated with Parmesan cheese,sautéed with it.. The onions, mushrooms, garlic, are sautéed separately. The sauce Is made from the broth, seasonings ) basil, rosemary, Thyme, beef broth, cornstarch, and the scrapings....
Recipe is from "A Taste of Home" website.

I want something easy.. I am at the point in my life: two recipes are too much for me... If I had a dishwasher, things could be a lot different.

I plan on Pumpkin risotto to go with it... another new recipe..

Getting the ingredients on Tuesday-- both Market Basket (grocery store) and TJ's If I cannot get it all.

Wish me luck!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm still working out details, but this will be for one of our meals with my partner's sister;

Spiced nuts, and I think also hummus with crackers, and maybe a cranberry juice-based punch

Turkey
Gravy
Oyster stuffing
Possibly rolls although at least one person thinks these are redundant lol
Bourbon cranberry compote
Spinach in some form or other
A frozen veggie combo I can microwave
Pumpkin pie and french apple cake

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it will just be the two of us and neither of us are turkey fans I am making a small ham, Au Gratin potatoes, southwest corn, roasted Brussels sprouts with Parmesan cheese, either French bread or rolls, and pie. Haven’t decided on the type of bread or pie yet. The pie may be apple or pumpkin since I have the fixings for both. I may just do rolls instead of French bread since I will be the only one eating it. I can freeze the extra. I miss the past when it would take me at least 3-4 days prep to do Thanksgiving when the kids were home and hubby would invite anyone he knew who didn’t have a place to go.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plan as of now is roast turkey and dressing,asparagus rissoto,shredded brussel sprouts with bacon,onion and cranberry,cranberry orange relish,baked acorn squash (with a little butter and honey)cranberry and orange buttermilk biscuits and a cookie salad....your usual olives and pickles and crackers and cheeses...and dessert(s) will be a pecan pie,pumpkin pie and a dutch apple pie.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure yet going to my aunts in irvine for a huge pot luck with a mix of family. along with my cousins hsband he has a big family they will be there to get to meet some cousins by marriage should be fun. :flail:i do know what my dessert will be though since gf and i are bringing that we ordered dutch apple pie, chocolate satin pie from marie calendars.oh and a pumpkin pie

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking back at my post, the menu seems a tad simple, if not boring but my partner's sister is in her 80s and has Parkinson's so she's not cooking. We're doing most everything here at the house, packing it into coolers and driving up there. I did find a couple more veggie options, we'll be having rolls and a not-home-made heat-up mashed potato side (I hope this one works and doesn't have weird texture). We'll leave her whatever leftovers she wants.

For our own the next day (so that we can have leftovers :thumbsup:) we're adding some fun extras like a fudge brownie trifle 😚👍😁