Thank You Everyone Update

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A
Bless you for taking care of the kittys in need. Your furry family is beautiful.
We first saw a little grey and white cat in the spring of 2016 jumping out of our apartment buildings dumpster and running away. When we pulled in we would talk to her (although at the time we didn't know she was a she) & eventually she would stop at a distance and look back before running away. Mid summer we spotted her and she looked terrible, mangy & sick then she disappeared for a few months. In Oct she reappeared looking well. We live on the second story in a quiet neighborhood with huge old trees & houses. Our back door faces an alley and we feed the squirrels & birds there. She was eating their bread one day so we started throwing down hot dogs & cooked chicken to her, finally buying a bag of cat food and feeding her on the stairs. We had food and water at the top of the stairs on our porch where over time she would let us sit & pet her. She acted like she wanted to come inside so we put some food and water just inside the door leaving it open so she wouldn't panic until one day, as I was going out, Mr possum was out side the door at the empty food bowl ready to come in too! We shut the door but let her out when she wanted to go. I got a litter pan and she took to it immediately. I gave her an anti-flea treatment. and took her to the vet to get a check up. APL had at some point trapped, spayed, clipped her ear & returned her to the neighborhood and turned her loose again (TNR). She had a slight fever & diarrhea so she got a shot and antibiotics. Vet said she was 1 or 2 yrs old. The weather was turning colder and she started staying inside more, sleeping overnight in a bed we got her and dropping in during the day. We don't have loose dogs or mean folks in the area so we were still letting her out in the morning or whenever she wanted, she would come when we whistled and called, until one day in January 2017 when she came in limping on her right back paw. She hasn't been out solo since that day. When the weather warmed up she really wanted to go out so we got a harness for her and we go with her. We found out later that there were several folks in the neighborhood feeding her but we were the ones she chose to take under her paw. Thank heavens she tested negative for FIV and FeLV. She is so sweet and smart and beautiful. She doesn't bite (except for love bites that don't break skin) or scratch or bother the house plants. It took several month for her name Gypsy to be decided on. Since she had roamed the neighborhood it just fit.
View attachment 292236 View attachment 292237 View attachment 292238 View attachment 292239 View attachment 292240 View attachment 292241
awww she is sooo beautiful, sounds like she picked you for a reason
Thank you, what a beautiful story, and beautiful photos

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping them! That's one of the reasons that I decided not to move to Australia, because of the way they treat cats. They would have seized my cats for quarantine and I just don't trust them since my cats are former ferals. Plus it costs many thousands of dollars.
Aw they are awful to feral cats hear, they just legalised a huge cull on them which has made a lot of hate towards them :(
For such an advanced country, you really would expect better from them!

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just sent an email to the Australian Prime Minister about the treatment of feral cats. Maybe he will listen. It's worth a try.
Oh that's a good idea, Please let me know how you go.
They really need to do TNR hear, I just do not understand how they do not promote it or legalise it because it would make such a huge difference if everywhere started doing it.