Territorial Spraying HELP!!

Dgaddh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two male cats. One male cat has started spraying. This behaviour has really increased due to our new baby in home. The baby is almost 4 months old. Both cats are not fixed and tomorrow I am booking them in to get fixed. The cat that is also spraying is picked on a bit more by the other cat and our small dog. It's more playing on the dogs part but the other cat kind of seeks out fighting. They are both inside cats and we don't really have neighborhood cats that visit the home. Our neighbor does have a dog that can be seen which he does watch regularly. This cat is also a screamer. He screams generally during the day in the basement of our home and in the room where he can see the neighbors dog. When marking he typically marks on things I use and the baby uses as well as a couple things in the basement pretty regularly. We clean these areas as thoroughly as possible. We have 3 litter boxes in the home as well. We clean them often as we have read that sometimes that can be an issue. Honestly I'm at my wits end. I love this cat. But I may have to rehome him if I cannot find a solution.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering should fix the issue, as the spraying is a recent development and shouldn’t yet have become a habit. Both cats should significantly relax, as well. It can take up to 2 weeks for testosterone to fully leave the system post neuter.
In the meanwhile, use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature’s miracle to fully remove the scent of where he sprays.
It may be beneficial to get some pheromone diffusers, as well, as it seems like the spraying is coming from a place of resource guarding and insecurity.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree that your problem might be solved entirely with getting the cats neutered. But, if any of this has to do with the new baby, there may be some behavior that lingers afterward. This TCS article discusses cats and babies - the latter part is what is applicable to you now since the baby has already arrived. Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles