Territorial Behavior

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My adopted cat is so territorial!
She had a stuffed animal and thought it was a real cat and went about guarding her litterbox..standing at attention throughout the day. She would hop up on the bed and intently look out for the stuffed animal.
She has another litterbox which she NEVER used..so to mark her possessions, she pooped in that box and then rubbed her face all over the edges. She then stood guard in front of THAT box as if to DARE the new 'cat' to use it. That behavior lasted for a few days until she was sure it was not around any more. (I tossed it in the trash)

Anytime she hears the carpenters working net door or big trucks outside she goes around the house rubbing her face all over her things!

I got her 2 ceramic slanted cat bowls and they were huge cat shapes with large pointed ears. She would not go near the things. And even after I switched back her old flat bowl this morning, she stood guard ...just in case one of those big eared scary cat heads came back for HER food.
She has been on my heels all morning.

Does your cat get territorial over simple things like that?
I may add this is only her 2-3rd week in her new forever home, so she is adjusting. But does this behavior last a long time?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Willow realises inanimate objects are not worth guarding stuff from, but she's a terror when there's other cats around (apart from my Tigger)

Willow sees another cat and she (at best) chases the other cat off, at worst she goes into full-on jump on top of the other cat and try to beat the living crap out of him/her

I've had Willow since 2018, she has calmed down a little bit, but I doubt she will ever welcome other cats with open paws when Tigger goes <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your cat get territorial over simple things like that?
No. But, every cat is different, and her feelings are just as valid as the fact that my cat doesn't.

Are you giving her Cat Music now and then to help with her stress and to cover the noise of the construction?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat Music can be an additional source of stress relief, and also it will help distract from the construction noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try that. She has been so depressed lately. I am taking her to the Vet on Monday for a proper diet recommendation.She is still adjusting to her new home and explores all the time. Last night she was way up high investigating my yarn stash!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely play will continue to increase her confidence.

Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can I ask what why you're taking her to the vet for diet recommendations? If they have a nutritionist, that would be terrific so that you're getting the very best information.

If not, this may help;
Diplomate Directory

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask what why you're taking her to the vet for diet recommendations? If they have a nutritionist, that would be terrific so that you're getting the very best information.

If not, this may help;
Diplomate Directory
Well I can feel the bone along her back. She is only 10 lbs. The food at the shelter was the donated Hills Science dry and wet and she wouldn;t touch either and vomited the wet. Then she was given Fancy Feast . When I brought her home she wouldn;t touch that either. So I was told to try Purina Pro Essentials and she seems to like the chicken and turkey. She eats 2 small cans spaced throughout the day and night. Her suggested amount of calories was a bit over 200. However, she seems so lean along her back.
I read on the internet that a lot of these foods are junk filler. I need something nutritious. I even went so far as to try Smalls, but she wouldn;t even tolerate the smell of it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Possibly a nutritionist can be more helpful than the vet. I don't know that veterinarians have a lot of in-depth knowledge of nutrition, and they may be biased due to money received for promoting products (whether or not those products are truly the best for pets).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Possibly a nutritionist can be more helpful than the vet. I don't know that veterinarians have a lot of in-depth knowledge of nutrition, and they may be biased due to money received for promoting products (whether or not those products are truly the best for pets).
On this note, also ensure the nutritionist is not affiliated with a store. We had one that was very bias and would really only recommend the one brand of food.

Feeling the spine can be from weight loss(of the unhealthy kind- too fast or too much or both). Muscle needs to be rebuilt but it may not happen fully.