Terrified new foster cat

danwilkie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I am a first time foster-dad with some questions! About 5 days ago I started fostering a beautiful long-haired cat (I don't know what breed). He's 2 and a half years old, and has been jumping around from rescue to rescue after being with a family where he didn't get along well with other cats. He is very very timid and scared right now. For the past 5 days, if I am in the room he will find a corner and try to make himself as small as possible (I am home all the time now because of COVID-19). He will stay there the entire day, and hiss at me if I get too close. He only dares slunk past me around 8-9 PM to get to his litter box.

The good news is that he is very active at night, eating drinking, exploring and using his litter box (as evidenced by the trails of litter and clumps of fur he drags everywhere).

My question: I'm looking for some advice on how to help him feel a bit more at ease while I am around? Is it just a matter of patience? I am trying to find a balance between leaving him alone so as not to scare him, and making him more comfortable with my presence. Is there hope that eventually he will become more comfortable? Are there any tricks I can try?

Thank you!

P.S.: I am not looking for worst case scenarios, please keep those to yourself. I am looking for helpful tips and hope! Thank you!

Kitty Beholder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read that reading to your cat in these situations can be helpful. Maybe find a book you'd like to read, or some nice poetry, and sit down a ways from your cat and read out loud. It will help him get use to your presence and your voice.

I don't know how you feel about treats, but maybe dropping off some treats when he's in the corner (make sure he sees you deliver the food) will help him make the connection that you aren't one of the bad guys. :biggrin:

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Playing with him with a cat feather play toy helps often. My former feral female loved it and eventually warmed up to me. She got a treat before and after play. Also I left her alone, and let her make the decision to come out. Cats are not little dogs, and they rule in their world. Yes lots of patience. When he decides to warm up to you he will and not sooner! Goof luck.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try sitting in the same room and read allowed, this will help him get used to the sound of your voice. Feliway plug in. Play with a feather or toy and let him come to you or at least watch you. No sudden movements. Throw a treat to him. It will take time and patience as it sounds as if he has had some bad experiences and everything is new, smells, place ,you but let him settle at his pace.Good luck, let us know how you get on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for fostering! The fact that your boy is out exploring at night is an extremely good sign and as is the fact that he is willing to move past you to use his litterbox. Even the fact that he gives you a hiss says he is not so terrified that he wont speak up for himself. His hiss is just saying “don’t get close”. My girl had multiple homes and it took her more than a month to get to that point.

I dont think you are or will be facing a worst case with this guy. You just need to give him his space and let him approach you when he is ready. He is observing you and what you do as well as familiarizing himself with his new home. Once he starts to feel it is safe he will become more confident and ready to show you his real personality. Some non threatening things you can do to get him interested in you is to sit or lay on the floor since you are much less scary when you are low to the ground and play with some of his toys - rolling a ball, dragging a wand and stick or tossing and catching a mouse toy. I would also keep a few treats like Temptations near you to offer if he comes out. You can also try putting a couple under small plastic cups so he can do some hunting either when you are sitting there or later.

Please keep us posted on how he does and post a picture if you can.

Last edited: