Terrfied Of Fip

mackstarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I know this may seem silly, but I am terrified that my Winnie could develop FIP. I found him on a farm when he was a month old. There were lots of other cats living on the farm and he was on the family's porch with his mom and sister. He was covered in chicken poo and had a respiratory infection, and I felt that leaving him there would mean his death, so I took him.
He was very sick for about a week; runny eyes and nose, bloated, diarrhea/constipation. He then began to make a turn around. Until he was about 9 months old he was wheezy and had occasional asthma attacks, believed to be from damage from the kittenhood respiratory infections. He is now almost 1.5 years and his symptoms are totally gone.

I suppose my question is, based on what I've said, does it seem possible he could develop FIP? I know it occurs mostly in cats under two and with cats who have been immunocompromised. I also saw that cats who live outdoors don't usually get it because it comes from contact with feces, but could his mother have passed it to him? Would he have exhibited symptoms as a kitten since he was immunocompromised then? Should I worry?

Sorry again if this seems like an overreaction, I just can't shake the fear.
Thanks for any responses.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only coronavirus might mutate into FIP and that happens to a minority of cats who carry coronavirus.

Did he get tested for coronavirus?

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No advice, but I get your fear. My kitten Figaro passed away did to FIP early this year and I'm always on the lookout for symptoms in my kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackstarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only coronavirus might mutate into FIP and that happens to a minority of cats who carry coronavirus.

Did he get tested for coronavirus?
I know that, and no he didn’t. I could have him tested next time we’re at the vet but I’m worried it would only make my fear worse since coronavirus is so common.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand the fear completely. :grouphug:

It’s likely he would test positive for coronavirus, since it is so common, but other than that (unless you know of a genetic factor, e.g. a sibling passed away from FIP) there isn’t much you can do to predict the likelihood of FIP. You’re right that young cats or kittens with compromised immune systems sometimes develop it... and sometimes perfectly healthy adults develop it.

Try not to worry! I do understand, though. I have a 1 year old and I am constantly nervous that she will develop FIP, after losing my Chai to it in December... but all we can do is do our best to keep them healthy and stress-free, and support their immune systems as much as possible.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that, and no he didn’t. I could have him tested next time we’re at the vet but I’m worried it would only make my fear worse since coronavirus is so common.
Common doesn't mean all cats though. My cousin's and my brother's cats for example don't. Though my cousin's cat has something else, FIV.

Well my own cat has coronavirus and high antibodies on that ImmunoComb test meaning it's possible she's still shedding. I totally understand your fear (no for real. I have anxiety disorder.) But I was talking to a vet recently about the risks of vaccinating a cat with FcOV, not vaccinating a cat with FcOV, etc Note I live in Istanbul where there are stray cats everywhere. Most people's cats were either once stray or the kitten of stray cats, my cat included. Anyway the vet said heavy majority of the time they do not test a cat for FcOV or FIV because the human of the cat doesn't ask for a test but just come to the clinic for vaccination. Meaning, FcOV is even more common than the stats show at least where I live and most people just spend years or a lifetime with their cats. My friend's friend for example had no idea there was such a thing like coronavirus or FIP. She has a cat. She has had her cat for years now. She never tested him for FcOV. Same with my brother but they probably tested his cat and he just doesn't know it.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand your fear. I lost a cat to FIP and it’s an experience I do not want to repeat.

The thing about FIP, though, is that you can’t predict it. You are right that a lot of cats are positive for coronavirus and the mutation to FIP is unpredictable. I don’t think there are even any tests that are definitive in predicting risk and I’m not sure that keeping your cat otherwise healthy is protective. Mutations are random and not something we can control, so if a cat gets FIP it’s not its human’s fault.

My best advice is to enjoy your cat and stop worrying about it because it’s not something you can control. I know, easier said than done. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackstarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MissClouseau MissClouseau Okay thank you, I will consider having him tested next time we are at the vet. Best case scenario he doesn't have it and I don't have to worry at all. I know he couldn't have come in contact with feces in his short 1 month as a farm cat, but I am still worried his mother could've passed it. His immune system was very compromised as a kitten, so I can at least take some comfort knowing its very unlikely it mutated then since its more than a year later and he is showing no signs of unhealthiness.

I also found that it is most common in cramped living conditions, so it would actually put my Margaux who we got from a shelter at more of a risk than her brother. I believe she was tested at the shelter before I knew about this disease though and was negative. I will look at her paperwork when I get home later.

I am so sorry to everyone that responded who lost their babies. I cannot even imagine your pain. ):

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
rosegold rosegold I am so sorry about your Chai! She was such a pretty cat. FIP is a cruel disease. :(
Thank you, I’m so sorry for your loss as well. :( It was horribly tragic to lose my girl in that way and the grief still impacts me daily, even 9 months on. But I try to comfort myself with the fact that there are some really promising drug trials being developed that have even cured some cats of FIP. It’s bittersweet but encouraging. Hopefully, once such drugs become commercially available, FIP will be easily treatable rather than a death sentence. :crossfingers: