Tera + 2 - 4

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...that goes for four AND two footed kids! Best day of my life was when the boys learned what "HEY!" in that certain tone of voice actually meant! It took Hekitty about 1/10th the amount of time to catch on to it. Apparently, kittens are much brighter than the average kid.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...that goes for four AND two footed kids! Best day of my life was when the boys learned what "HEY!" in that certain tone of voice actually meant! It took Hekitty about 1/10th the amount of time to catch on to it. Apparently, kittens are much brighter than the average kid.
They got the idea quickly. It's pointless to yell at a little kitten who is just pure impulse. We've corrected them with redirection but some things are just a tad more serious. Toad isn't trying to scoot out the door she just has to have her hands on anything mommy has her hands on. She knows HOT! , they all do. This is sort of like the hump phase. Not babies, not adults but teens with still bendy minds
For anyone just reading the can o hiss was pointed away from the kits when engaged. And it's not something I would use in any situation but at the doors going outside nor was it used as the first method to get them to sit back from the door. I used one good pull of the trigger along with the word BACK. As a rule I abhor any type of punishment for a cat that's even borderline physical. We have coyotes and the loose aggressive dogs from next door.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, punishing a cat is an exercise in futility. It only frustrates the punisher and the punished. Redirection is a lovely thing. And I must mention that the "HEY" was not in a loud voice at all merely firm, and was (if I'm being quite honest) more of a distraction, at least where Hekitty was concerned.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
It's a fine line sometimes. Redirection works 99% of the time but in my case I needed to reinforce an issue. The stove and the front door are the two issues I won't mess around on because both could cost a lot more than hurt feelings.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I totally agree. Trial-and-error is lovely unless the error could be fatal, or nearly so. Hekitty learned about the stove very quickly, bless her. And didn't even burn a paw. The front door took a bit longer, but we got there. Now, eight years down the line, she will, if I am outside with the door open, walk onto the front porch and sit on the little stool there, but she doesn't venture farther than that. MUST get a holster for her! She loathes the regular harness.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She won't have her widdle pawsies touch grass until she is. I promise. AND when they installed the new windows in our complex, we got the kind where they open out, and the screens install from the inside, so they can't be just pushed out like the old ones could! A cat would have to get a running start and hit one full tilt, and even then I'm not sure it would pop out.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you had gotten new cats. Congrats on the new additions! It's wonderful Tera found a home. :)

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
All four were playing tag this morning. Now that Tera has her home I can finally feel 100% good about how we decided to handle this.
As to spring that's debatable. Barely broke 50 today and there are some nights in the low 20s in the forecast.
The ripple rug is getting a ton of attention by all the cats. I have pictures but TCS keeps saying they're too big even though their properties say otherwise. I have to post to FB and copy and paste.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How odd about the pictures.

SIGH...It's getting downright hot here, ALREADY! It is predicted to be the hottest spring on written record. I do not like heat, me (lived in Louisianna for a few years. Occasionally it creeps into a turn of phrase).

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
How odd about the pictures.

SIGH...It's getting downright hot here, ALREADY! It is predicted to be the hottest spring on written record. I do not like heat, me (lived in Louisianna for a few years. Occasionally it creeps into a turn of phrase).
We can have 100 degree days and 50 degree nights. I've had the furnace click on in July.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What stunning photos! And I love the peek-a-boo kittehs!

Living in essentially a desert climate, you kinda expect stuff like that (extremes in temps). This is coastal NC...we're more used to gently changing things. Not this year.