Tera + 2 - 4

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

How absolutely terrible.  I hope the dogs were killed quickly.  Any dog who does this should be immediately killed.
My husband got one of them when they charged our front door and the neighbor got the other when it charged him after killing his pocket dog. it's why I'm so hesitant to even build a catio and I hate that my cats do without because of my fear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How absolutely terrible.  I hope the dogs were killed quickly.  Any dog who does this should be immediately killed.
I hate to bug someone else's thread but I didn't like to leave this unchallenged. I absolutely disagree. Killing dogs who kill cats is like killing cats who kill mice. The owners should be heavily penalized for letting their dogs run loose but I don't think the dogs should be killed.

Dogs who are aggressive to humans usually have to be killed (although I think it should be taken on a case-by-case basis---some people deserve it!) but aggression to small animals has been bred into some breeds---a hunting dog wouldn't be much good if he didn't kill small animals---and they should not be killed because of it.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to bug someone else's thread but I didn't like to leave this unchallenged. I absolutely disagree. Killing dogs who kill cats is like killing cats who kill mice. The owners should be heavily penalized for letting their dogs run loose but I don't think the dogs should be killed.

Dogs who are aggressive to humans usually have to be killed (although I think it should be taken on a case-by-case basis---some people deserve it!) but agression to small animals has been bred into some breeds (a hunting dog wouldn't be much good if he didn't kill small animals) and they should not be killed because of it.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I second the putting down an out of control dog. The law states that the owner must be in control of their dog at all times otherwise face the consequences. But see this is what happens when people don't be considerate to other people and think the world revolves around them. In order for the dog to kill a cat- it didn't learn this overnight.

It's obviously an owner who doesn't have control over their dog and sadly there is no other way out of putting the dog down.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I second the putting down an out of control dog. The law states that the owner must be in control of their dog at all times otherwise face the consequences. But see this is what happens when people don't be considerate to other people and think the world revolves around them. In order for the dog to kill a cat- it didn't learn this overnight.

It's obviously an owner who doesn't have control over their dog and sadly there is no other way out of putting the dog down.
This started because I was trying to explain why it's so hard for me to conceptualize putting my cats on a harness and taking them for walks or building a catio. These were huge dogs with aggression issues running loose daily. I may not like my SIL but I would never wish her children to be mauled by one of these dogs and we seen it as no different than taking out the 5 foot rattlesnake that took up residence on the corner of our property where school children get on and off the bus. I've posted plenty of times that I think cat owners should keep their cats on their property. And with that I am done with this.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved cats are my FAMILY.  To me, they are no different/have no less value and right to live than other people's kids or whatever.  So absolutely, if a dog MURDERS one of my beloved family members -- as has happened on more than one occasion not because I didn't believe in keeping cats inside, but because my ex would not allow me to do so -- that dog has forfeited its right to breathe IMHO.  And those dogs that are purpose-bred to be prey-driven need to be put down, no exceptions.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say they "do without because of my fear" but rather that they are SAFE because you are and take personal responsibility for their safety.  I would not walk cats on harness outdoors or give them access to a catio in a dangerous environment, either, because their wellbeing is my responsibility and I love them above all else.   When we lived in the Mojave, our barn compound was pretty much already built; my ex cat-fenced the entire compound and there were boulders all the way around the perimeter to ensure nothing could come in.  Our catio was solid wood up about 4' and then framed heavy metal fencing; we put a locking door on it to give access to the outside for us.  Both the barn compound and the catio were quite safe, I believe.  I also walked each cat out on harness the first time it snowed up there, so they could experience that.  But other than this, they were indoor-only.  All cats in my care are indoor-only now, and I would never again have a relationship with anyone who prohibited me from bringing cats indoors.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And those dogs that are purpose-bred to be prey-driven need to be put down, no exceptions.
Sorry, sorry, the OP doesn't want to discuss this. . .but just let me say, NO. Just NO. I have a coonhound mix and a Husky mix, both very prey-driven breeds, and I have no intention of killing my dogs, thank you. Almost all dog breeds were bred to kill something, so we would have to kill almost all dogs. Tbh, I didn't expect this kind of thing from you---you usually seem to have respect for animal life.

---To be clear, I think the OP probably did what had to be done. If the owners aren't going to take the responsibility of keeping their dogs properly contained, the dogs may have to be killed. I am only responding to the idea that all dogs that kill a smaller animal or who would think of killing smaller animals should be killed. Dogs are dogs and have instincts. No different than a coyote or a bobcat or a bald eagle or a great horned owl or any other animal that kills smaller animals.

I think if a catio is built sturdily enough, it should be safe. If a safe enclosure can be built to keep wild animals IN, like in a zoo, then it should be possible to build one sturdy enough to keep wild animals and wandering dogs OUT. 2" x 4"s and farm fence would probably be good enough for most situations. Chicken wire wouldn't be sturdy enough, although lining the farm fence with chicken wire would keep raccoons from sticking their hands in.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't say they "do without because of my fear" but rather that they are SAFE because you are and take personal responsibility for their safety.  I would not walk cats on harness outdoors or give them access to a catio in a dangerous environment, either, because their wellbeing is my responsibility and I love them above all else.   When we lived in the Mojave, our barn compound was pretty much already built; my ex cat-fenced the entire compound and there were boulders all the way around the perimeter to ensure nothing could come in.  Our catio was solid wood up about 4' and then framed heavy metal fencing; we put a locking door on it to give access to the outside for us.  Both the barn compound and the catio were quite safe, I believe.  I also walked each cat out on harness the first time it snowed up there, so they could experience that.  But other than this, they were indoor-only.  All cats in my care are indoor-only now, and I would never again have a relationship with anyone who prohibited me from bringing cats indoors.
We've converted each window into a type of sanctuary for the cats. The banter between the cats and the birds is hilarious. The resident birds will land an inch from the cats nose and sass them. I had to stop filling the hanging bird feeders we were getting flocks of scavenger birds that drove off the songbirds and some of the rarer species. They were also pack rat and skunk magnets from the spilled seed. Until we hit sub zero weather I usually have one window I can open for at least an hour every day of the winter.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we have the same policy here, pretty much.  I have a hummingbird feeder on the front verandah and seed feeders opposite the master bedroom, though I can't afford the seed any more.  We have lots of flowers in both yards, so we do get quite a bit of bird and insect visitation, all of which is entertaining to the cats (and me, too); and there are a lot of dogs walked on this block, which my 3 are also probably interested in.  Though it's a good neighborhood as far as people being caring and responsible for/about their cats and keeping them indoors, we occasionally get visits from cats as well; and there are all kinds of wild creatures in addition to birds and insects, including squirrels, oppossums, skunks, rats, mice, lizards, freed conures in flocks, etc.  So it's rarely boring here.  I do wish we could have a catio, but I can't afford it.  We do have a lot of windows, and French doors leading into the patio, so we have the next best thing.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
   Toy challenge. They are making Mercy look even smaller these days.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, we have the same policy here, pretty much.  I have a hummingbird feeder on the front verandah and seed feeders opposite the master bedroom, though I can't afford the seed any more.  We have lots of flowers in both yards, so we do get quite a bit of bird and insect visitation, all of which is entertaining to the cats (and me, too); and there are a lot of dogs walked on this block, which my 3 are also probably interested in.  Though it's a good neighborhood as far as people being caring and responsible for/about their cats and keeping them indoors, we occasionally get visits from cats as well; and there are all kinds of wild creatures in addition to birds and insects, including squirrels, oppossums, skunks, rats, mice, lizards, freed conures in flocks, etc.  So it's rarely boring here.  I do wish we could have a catio, but I can't afford it.  We do have a lot of windows, and French doors leading into the patio, so we have the next best thing.
The window on my storm door becomes lizard watch in the summer months. I think doing the best you can with what you have. My cats seem happy. If you're like me you find little ways to provide enrichment when you can.

Bird seed has tripled in price in the past few years. I get the peanut dough seed cakes. Not nearly as messy as suet and often for .99 cents each.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea.  IDK whether Drs. Foster & Smith sell them or not.  That's where I get my cat supplies, delivered.  I'll check.  I do miss having massive bird presence in the back yard.  We still get visitors, though -- hummingbirds whose territory this is, doves, mockingbirds, sparrows, finches, crows, and a wonderful jay couple who seem to know and like me very much.  We have freed conures in the neighborhood, too, though they don't really come into the back yard, because they prefer much taller trees than any I have.  They're amazing, though, so talkative and social!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That's a good idea.  IDK whether Drs. Foster & Smith sell them or not.  That's where I get my cat supplies, delivered.  I'll check.  I do miss having massive bird presence in the back yard.  We still get visitors, though -- hummingbirds whose territory this is, doves, mockingbirds, sparrows, finches, crows, and a wonderful jay couple who seem to know and like me very much.  We have freed conures in the neighborhood, too, though they don't really come into the back yard, because they prefer much taller trees than any I have.  They're amazing, though, so talkative and social!
I used to have an aviary going on in my back yard and then the price of bird seed went up and we just kept buying it and then it really got expensive in the middle of winter and we had to keep feeding all those hungry mouths. We now have a bird food budget. A lot of the birds left when they had to start landing on the window mesh to get the seed cakes.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a lot of "ours" did, too.  Sad.  My ex started with putting up feeders and suet baskets when we were in the Mojave, and I just kept it going when we split up and I moved here.  It's been a real pleasure for my cats and me.  Sorry to have to discontinue it after the same scenario as with your birds.  Everything goes up and up except what we get to pay for it.  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, a lot of "ours" did, too.  Sad.  My ex started with putting up feeders and suet baskets when we were in the Mojave, and I just kept it going when we split up and I moved here.  It's been a real pleasure for my cats and me.  Sorry to have to discontinue it after the same scenario as with your birds.  Everything goes up and up except what we get to pay for it.  
They've filled the cheaper bird foods with milo which the birds don't really seem to like so it was getting tossed on the ground attracting less picky vermin. I don't really have much of a beef with things like skunks or even coyotes. When the newbies here killed off every coyote they could find instead of making more secure pens the jackrabbit population exploded. We had someone with peacocks who got so bent over a hawk getting one of his chicks ( uncovered pen ) he shot all the hawks he could find. So then we had a flying rat problem. Someone shot all the skunks instead of cleaning up their trash and we had rattlesnakes show up. Thankfully as of now no one has decided to shoot my turkey buzzards.

Like me the birds in your area have benefited by us having cats by making it possible for more of them to stay and survive winters and hard patches.