Temptations cat treats?

Texcat3104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Temptations cat treats?

Are 3 to 3 1/2 year old cat was put down this morning he loved these cat treats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you asking if they are ok? or are you saying that is why he died?
If you are asking if they are safe, it seems to depend on who you ask, but there is no evidence that they for sure kill cats. They are not healthy treats, they are "junk food" but as far as I can tell don't contain anything that should cause a cat to die if given as a treat. If given as their food or like a whole handful a day everyday then I could see how they could be a problem, or if you got a contaminated batch or your cat is allergic to them. I give them to my cats occasionally, but normally limit it to a few treats per cat not the 10-12 they suggest on the package.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Temptations cat treats?

Are 3 to 3 1/2 year old cat was put down this morning he loved these cat treats.
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing them but it's especially hard when they are young. :hugs:

Lots of cats love Temptations. As others have mentioned they are junk food and should be fed in moderation. My cats no longer get them not because I think they will kill them but because there are better options for treats. The treat I give them now is plain cooked meat. Mostly chicken and turkey. They love it and it's much healthier for them.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that your cat passed away. :bawling2:

I wouldn't say that Temptations are "bad," per se, but I can't say that they are good, either.
Like amethyst amethyst says, consider them junk food. I wouldn't consider feeding my kids a steady diet of McDonald's french fries. Neither would I feed my cat too many cat treats.

Is it okay for a kid to have an Oreo cookie as a treat? Of course, as long as they are eating a healthy diet, besides cookies.
The same goes for Temptations. In fact, Casper's code word for treat is "cookie." If you say, "Want a cookie?" Casper will come a'running.

Yes, I have heard that some cat treats (Temptations included) have become contaminated. Yes, that is bad.
Consider the practical matter. If some brand of cat treats had bad ingredients in it which made cats sick and die, that would be very bad for business. We're talking about loss of money, loss of goodwill for the company that makes it (people would stop buying ALL products from that company) and there would probably be hefty fines from the government, not to mention lawsuits to the tune of kajillions of dollars. No amount of public relations "spin" would be able to fix that. The company would be out of business before you know it.

Not to say that cat food products can't get contaminated. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense for companies to willingly do something like that.

Maybe your cat did die because of bad kitty cookies. I don't know but you're going to have to come up with some kind of evidence to show that this is true.

Like other people have asked...Was your cat sick before he ate the treats?
Was he up to date on all his vet visits? When was the last time he had a checkup? Did he get a clean bill of health?

When did it happen? How soon after he ate? What were the symptoms?
We need to be reasonably sure that it wasn't something else that made it seem like the treats are to blame.

Even if it wasn't because of bad treats, when did you buy them? What store?
What is the product code on the bag? Is there an expiration date? Was the seal on the bag intact before you opened them for the first time? Could the treats have become contaminated from some other source? Is there any possibility that something bad got into the bag and contaminated them after you opened them?

We need to be like Sherlock Holmes, the detective, to see if we can figure out what happened and, if there is a problem with something your cat ate, we need to take action.

Even if it doesn't sound like it, I am pretty concerned about this. It's not because I suspect "Temptations" of being bad. It's because I am concerned about food safety, in general, for both my cat and my family.

I'm sorry to hear that your kitty got sick and died. I feel sad. :(
You should know that your kitty loved you as much as you loved him. :redheartpump: