Temptations Cat Treats Bad For Cats?

grammom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clementon NJ.....about 12 miles from Philadelphia.
My cat, 12 years old, loves these treats. They are tiny and he gets 4-5 at a time maybe 3-4 times a week. I use them to call him in from the enclosed porch - shake the bag and he comes runing! My daughter said she read they were bad for cats. I cannot find an issue. Anybody?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers. I, personally, look for treats that don't have so many "fillers", like Purebites, CatManDoo, Wholelife, and my guys love them, but to each his or her own :wink:.

Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they only need to eat meat. Their bodies don't really process corn, wheat, that type of thing. It can cause tummy upsets, etc. and does in many cats. But if your cats loves them and comes running and you don't overdo it, I don't see a problem. that's just my take on it.

Tuco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
AVOID TEMPTATIONS -- PLEASE!!
I created an account here just to post my experience with Temptations. My little 14 year old cat has always been very healthy -- I have gotten that comment from vets since she was little, "What a healthy cat." She has always eaten good quality, expensive cat food, not junk. I started giving her Temptations, and she went berserk for them. She ate maybe 5-10 or so a day. She enjoyed them so much.

I took her for an exam and blood work maybe 6 months ago when she was acting lethargic and found out that she had KIDNEY FAILURE. The doctor explained the situation to me as grim -- you have two kidneys and generally even if one totally fails, the other can carry the load. But both of her kidneys were in trouble. I put her onto Hill's K/D formula immediately and cut out the Temptations cold turkey. I was heartbroken, thinking it was just a matter of time before I lost her. It's been maybe 6 months, and she's a new cat. She's happy and energetic. I haven't taken her back for blood work (expensive), but I think I saved her life or at least prolonged it. She's cuddled up in her basket right now snoring. Thank God.

My advice -- DO NOT FEED YOUR CATS TEMPTATIONS. Just don't take a chance. Once they get that taste, it's like crack for them, and they beg for more. Please just don't take a chance with your precious baby.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my current cats temptations for over 10 years and have had no problem, but they only get a couple each a couple times a week at most (so 4-6 per week). One 85g bag last my 10 cats months. They are treats not food, so should be given sparingly. I like to think of them like cookies, each treat is one cookie. I don't think they are a problem so long as the rest of the food you are feeding is healthy, your cat doesn't have health issues or intolerance to them, and you aren't feed them everyday. I'm not saying there aren't better healthier treats out there, and I do give other treats too, but I have yet to see actual proof of temptations, fed sparingly, causing issues to an otherwise healthy normal cat.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom's cats are addicted to them. One gets aggressive if you don't give her enough, and they meow and whine for them all the time. They used to drive me nuts.
Mine only get freeze dried chicken.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Temptations are bad because they have grains, sugar and salt. Same for greenies. Its junk food for cats and purebites is the better option.

Last edited:

CanadaKidd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, 12 years old, loves these treats. They are tiny and he gets 4-5 at a time maybe 3-4 times a week. I use them to call him in from the enclosed porch - shake the bag and he comes runing! My daughter said she read they were bad for cats. I cannot find an issue. Anybody?
Please watch the film (on Netflicks) called “PetFooled” . Your daughter is correct. If you love your this film is a must. Pet food industry is shocking . And please spread the news about the film. It’s important to change the industry .
E1DE6C8C-5134-476C-A4F9-B8603C4408F0.png

Kirstin@AllBeings

The People & Pet Nutritionist
Kitten
Purraise
I'm with you, CanadaKidd, based on experience with my own cat, Freddie. She's almost 22 now (thanks to a raw and freeze-dried raw food diet for over 14 years) but she used to get Temptations for the same reason as you, Grammom... to get her back inside the house. That was until I noticed her behavioral changes and the impact it had on her digestive system and overall health. These treats make cats aggressive and hyperactive - like somebody on drugs - and even have withdrawal symptoms when you stop feeding them. That has to tell you that something awful is hidden in the ingredients. Beyond the awful Chicken-by-product Meal and ground corn as its usual first major ingredients (which are bad enough in itself), I believe the Animal Fat they use contributes the most to the addiction due to its flavor enhancing. This legally can actually come from "dead, non-slaughtered, diseased, and/or even euthanized animals." I've also learned that this particular fat ingredient can potentially stem from leftover restaurant grease. That and I bet something nasty (and proprietary) is hidden in "Natural Flavors". I've actually heard that in-house food scientists work hard on the addiction aspect of these treats so best to opt for many of the other healthier treat options (like freeze-dried) which many cats will still enjoy. Just takes some time to get them fully withdrawn from Temptations. For Freddie, I had to rely on tastes of pure butter (from grass-fed cows for maximum nutrients) until she finally forgot about those darned Temptations. :)

By the way, I sure would like to see Temptations banned from the market after witnessing the destruction they cause in our cats. In my opinion, no cat should ever eat these for any reason.

acatnamedbakon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear, Tuco.
I heard your experience with Temptations cat treats.
First of all, its not good to give your cat 10 treats a day.
Treats are like candy to cats. Second of all, if you want your cat to be healthy,
get better cat treats for her/him. Temptations can be like treats that you give them maybe twice a week. This was probably a long time ago, but still.
- acatnamedbakon

Mike Hunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Mike Hunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Folks,
My two cats loved these treats. After about one month of feeding them each a handful per day I noticed they were both losing most of the fur on their hind legs, and the rest of their fur was getting very dull.
I stopped feeding them Temptations completely, and after a few days of withdrawal and supplementing them with extra catnip, their fur is growing back, and the full luster of their fur is returning. Anyone else experience this strange effect? I believe there is something in these treats causing a toxic, or allergic reaction. These treats are not good or your cats! Please be careful, glad I caught it in time I hope. So far they seem to be returning to their pre Temptations treats healthy state. The only 2 companies I trust with my cats andogs feeding are Fromm and Orijen. No recalls on either company but, kind of expensive.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks,
My two cats loved these treats. After about one month of feeding them each a handful per day I noticed they were both losing most of the fur on their hind legs, and the rest of their fur was getting very dull.
I stopped feeding them Temptations completely, and after a few days of withdrawal and supplementing them with extra catnip, their fur is growing back, and the full luster of their fur is returning. Anyone else experience this strange effect? I believe there is something in these treats causing a toxic, or allergic reaction. These treats are not good or your cats! Please be careful, glad I caught it in time I hope. So far they seem to be returning to their pre Temptations treats healthy state. The only 2 companies I trust with my cats andogs feeding are Fromm and Orijen. No recalls on either company but, kind of expensive.
A handful a day? For a month? IMO no cat should be given that many treats of anything a day. I am very glad your poor kittys are doing well.

Mike Hunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A handful a day? For a month? IMO no cat should be given that many treats of anything a day. I am very glad your poor kittys are doing well.
Thanks
I guess I gave them so many because they seemed to really enjoy them. It does seem excessive now that you mention it. I love them and was just trying to make them happy. Thanks for your input, I feel pretty stupid now. Pretty strange effect on their fur though eh?
I will correct my over treating behavior, thanks again.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I guess I gave them so many because they seemed to really enjoy them. It does seem excessive now that you mention it. I love them and was just trying to make them happy. Thanks for your input, I feel pretty stupid now. Pretty strange effect on their fur though eh?
I will correct my over treating behavior, thanks again.
Oh! You had already mended your over treating! I'm sorry I sorta freaked out on you and I am truly glad the fur is back as it should be on your darlings

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wondered if anyone came to a conclusion about Temptations. I just found out that my 2 1/2 year old male has bad kidney numbers and will need an ultrasound within the next couple of week, and my other cat has hyperesthesia. Both cats are well cared for, indoor only, see vet regularly, etc. I am not hysterically viewing this as proof that Temptations is to blame, but it is coincidental. I am throwing them out and checking ingredients in other food as well. These were their favorite treats, not that they got handfuls a day, but completely the preferred one.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wondered if anyone came to a conclusion about Temptations. I just found out that my 2 1/2 year old male has bad kidney numbers and will need an ultrasound within the next couple of week, and my other cat has hyperesthesia. Both cats are well cared for, indoor only, see vet regularly, etc. I am not hysterically viewing this as proof that Temptations is to blame, but it is coincidental. I am throwing them out and checking ingredients in other food as well. These were their favorite treats, not that they got handfuls a day, but completely the preferred one.
The fact that no one seems to be able to say what is in Temptations to cause issue really makes me wonder. Especially since there is nothing in them that isn't in other pet foods. There are no recalls, no vet reports stating an ingredient, or anything really other then on product complaint sites. Also even looking it up on Snopes they found nothing. FACT CHECK: Temptations Cat Treats Facebook Warning

It also seems like the only people that can directly correspond feeding Temptations to the cat being sick, and getting better when they stop is people feeding them a lot of treats. It is junk food, so just like any junk food if fed in too high a quantity it will make them sick. It's like someone drinking liters of cola a day and getting deathly ill or dying. It's not healthy, but does that mean drinking a can of cola sometimes is going to kill you?

You also have coincidences happening, people's cat gets sick, renal failure is common in cats, they look online, people claiming their cat dropped dead of kidney failure after eating temptations, and then think, oh my cat eats those too, that must be why. When in fact there are a lot of causes of kidney failure in domestic cats, many of which that have little to nothing to do with diet directly.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have had several cats. All ate temptations (among other brands) as TREATS, just a few here and there. Never had an issue. Yes they have all passed away, but at the ages of 20, 18, 14 and 10. The 10 year old passed from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and the fourteen year old passed from cardiac arrest due to weak heart from a different condition. And although the others passed from cancer and kidney disease, as you can see from their ages - I highly doubt temptation treats were the problem.
Temptations are a TREAT, and should be given as such. I love chips and pop and could probably live off kraft dinner and wieners for every supper, but I wouldn't live very long! :lol:
Seriously, does anyone else eat KD with chopped wieners mixed in? It's sooo good!