Temporary problem with the text editor

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We seem to be experiencing a bug with the text editor. We are aware of the problem and our tech support is trying to resolve the issue. There's no need to submit further reports.

What does this mean for now?

If you've been using the rich-text editor, you used to see every change "in real time". For example, if you marked a word in bold, it would be bolded in front of your eyes. This is also called a WYSIWYG or "What You See Is What You Get" interface. It's very intuitive to use and you can type away and forget that there's actual code behind these special effects.

We've always also had a code-based editor where your changes show up as code in text format, instead of creating the desired effect in front of your eyes. If you're reading my post and the bug hasn't been fixed yet, then this is what your text editor is like right now. It means that if you want to underline a word and use the underline button, instead of seeing the word underlined, you'll get to see the code that does that. In this case, it's the letter U surrounded by [ ] right before the underlined bit and then the same thing with a slash / at the end of the underlined bit. This is basically how this code works.

It means you'll get to see the code and it may look messier than usual but everything should be working. You can use the Preview function to see what your post will look like before posting.

Who is affected?

Everyone. As far as we can tell, this affects all browsers. Of course, if you were already using the BB code mode, it's all "business as usual" for you ;)

My apologies about the inconvenience! We're working on resolving this issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!

Last edited by a moderator:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, do you guys work fast ! Seems back to rich text, now.

Thanks for the extra explanation about the different 'What You See Is What You Get' interface and code stuff.

Very interesting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes, I'm seeing the rich editor now too 

I'm waiting for the final confirmation from our tech people to make this official. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
And I think it's now safe to say we have our editor back. Whew! 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne  

Yes, I'm seeing the rich editor now too 

I'm waiting for the final confirmation from our tech people to make this official. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

And I think it's now safe to say we have our editor back. Whew! 

I like all this enthusiasm, and all the emoji's being so easy to see.

It was like Furniture was moved, and then the cats have to explore, and figure things out.

Learning new things is good.

My cats are smarter than me. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, is that what it was?!  I've been having a bit of trouble with Firefox, and assumed that was the cause, especially when closing Firefox and re-opening seemed to fix it.  I assume this means that I caught it at just the right time.

@Anne, you have apparently fixed the problem.

Margret