Tell Us Where You Live...Only With Food

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sushi, tempura, soba, udon.

Or if you want me to be more specific hotto noodles and nashi pears.

Am I making this too easy?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Original chicken wings, Sahlen's hot dogs, Weber's Horseradish Mustard, and beef on weck sandwiches.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kuchen and chislic. Or poffertjes and pankoeken. Or lutefisk and lefse. Or. . .haha, Southeastern SD is kinda where a bunch of different cultures collide.

But kuchen and chislic are the Official state dessert and snack. I get chislic every time I'm at an event with food vendors, kuchen is a little harder to come by. Although usually the local grocery stores sell it around Christmas, or if you can find a bake sale or benefit auction.
Havent heard of the first two. Whenever I go “up north”, ie northern Minnesota which has sort of the same ethnic mix as parts of South Dakota, I always looks for bakeries that have Potica, a sweet bread that is made of fine layers of walnut/honey and dough that is rolled into a loaf. Do they have that in SD?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably somewhere but I don't think I've had it.

Chislic is deep-fried (but not breaded) meat cubes, medium-rare. It's supposed to be lamb/mutton but some people make it with beef (blasphemy!). On a stick or not. No seasoning except a bit of garlic salt added at the eater's discretion. Very yummy.

Kuchen is a little vague because it's just the German word for cake, so every family has their own recipe. But the most common is a bread "crust" with a custard topping and fruit on top of that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably somewhere but I don't think I've had it.

Chislic is deep-fried (but not breaded) meat cubes, medium-rare. It's supposed to be lamb/mutton but some people make it with beef (blasphemy!). On a stick or not. No seasoning except a bit of garlic salt added at the eater's discretion. Very yummy.

Kuchen is a little vague because it's just the German word for cake, so every family has their own recipe. But the most common is a bread "crust" with a custard topping and fruit on top of that.
It all sounds really delicious. Northern Minnesota is heavily Slavic, German culture, with some Norwegian, Finn and Swedish in the mix. Some spectacular food and deserts up there.

Last edited:

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kuchen and chislic. Or poffertjes and pankoeken. Or lutefisk and lefse. Or. . .haha, Southeastern SD is kinda where a bunch of different cultures collide.

But kuchen and chislic are the Official state dessert and snack. I get chislic every time I'm at an event with food vendors, kuchen is a little harder to come by. Although usually the local grocery stores sell it around Christmas, or if you can find a bake sale or benefit auction.
I didn't even know they had poffertjes and pannekoeken elsewhere! That's actually super cool to hear 😊

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's over in Orange City, IA, where a lot of people are of Dutch heritage. I've been to the Tulip Festival a few times and indulged in the many Dutch food vendors. There's also a nearby town that has Czech Days but I haven't gone to that yet. I'm not even sure what kind of Czech food they serve.