Teeth: How often does everyone have their vet clean their cats teeth?

catzzzzzzzzzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I was wondering how often everyone gets their cats teeth cleaned (scale/polish) at the vet? Our vet seems to request a clean every couple of years and just wondering if it is needed and if it's just part of being a cat owner?
Thanks.

OrangeTabbyDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lola gets her teeth cleaned annually. It's part of her vet plan, so it works out pretty good price, considering she also gets unlimited vet visits and an annual CBC too.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have done it as-needed. I had a cat who was just born with great teeth and never needed a cleaning. Another cat had bad teeth and got him one. I brushed their teeth so I was able to closely monitor whether the teeth had tartar build up and/or inflamed gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catzzzzzzzzzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 3 are all rescue cats and won't let us brush their teeth - anything that isn't their idea, you know how cats are!! Our ginger tabby is 3 and is having his 2nd soon. It would be good to have a year with no vet bills!

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oof, that's too bad that he's only 3 and getting his second. It's especially important if there are extractions to be done. An infected mouth, left alone, could turn into sepsis. Sadly, when I was a child, we had a cat who passed that way. Thank god we know better these days.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been lucky Patches is 6 never had them cleaned. Bandit is nearly 3 last check the vet noticed he has a little redness but doesn't need to be booked in for cleaning. Unfortunately she mentioned some cat's have a allergy to the tartar and are better off having teeth removed. He's a calsivirus cat and does get inflammation from time to time. I'm expecting him needing extractions at some point.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe’s eight and just had her first under-anaesthetic cleaning this year. She gets them checked every six months as part of her senior‘s health check, and her previous one was the first time they said she was due for cleaning. I’ll just leave it to the vets and nurses to say when they think she needs it done. At $850 a pop I hope it’s not too frequent!

Daisy is five and has never had them done. I’ve only had her a couple of years. Last checkup she had a couple of months ago they said her teeth looked fine.