Teeth Brushing - Should There Be A Routine (same Time Daily Etc)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here is an easy dilemma for a change.

I've learned that cats like routine, however, I am debating if this is one routine that I should dance up a bit.

None of the cats appreciate me brushing their teeth. It's a new thing I'm finding I have to do and so far - oh yeah - full on hate - but I get the job done.

Timing.

I'm worried if I do it the same time every day they will get to know that time and disappear.

Also is 30 minutes before food / 30 minutes after food a a good time or does the space between chow down have to be longer?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never brushed cats' teeth ever, but if a specific time works for your schedule keep it that way unless one of them catches on. The routine, even if they don't like it, is actually probably better for them. Not sure I would worry about connecting to any particular time related to when they eat.

Just my :2cents:!!

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started to brush Salem's teeth. I decided to start when she turned 10 months to make sure all her adult teeth came in ok. I have heard that if you start too early and the kitten is still loosing their baby teeth, the brushing can cause pain. Then, the cat will forever associate tooth brushing with pain. Is that true? I don't know. I know that's not what you asked, but I thought it was still important enough to mention.
As far as a set schedule goes, I try to brush Salem's teeth at least twice a week. I do think If I did it every day at the same time, she would figure it out pretty quickly and disappear. So, if your cat picks up on patterns easily (some do, some don't) then maybe you should shake up the time of day when you approach them with a toothbrush. If you really want to brush their teeth every day (more power to you), maybe randomly skip a day every once and a while to keep the kitties on their toes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never brushed cats' teeth ever, but if a specific time works for your schedule keep it that way unless one of them catches on. The routine, even if they don't like it, is actually probably better for them. Not sure I would worry about connecting to any particular time related to when they eat.

Just my :2cents:!!
I like the 2 cents. :-)

I will have uber sympathy for you if you ever have to start.

Yep thanks for reminding me to keep working on my teen kitty. I’m still trying to get him used to the fingers in his mouth part. Hopefully flavored toothpaste will help.

:goodluck:
I've been starting with these little finger slips made of microfiber and also those small soft gauze pads. It seems to be helping with the adjustment. I'm sure a flavoured toothpaste will help. Making it more like a yum moment. (If your kitty likes the taste) :-)

I just started to brush Salem's teeth. I decided to start when she turned 10 months to make sure all her adult teeth came in ok. I have heard that if you start too early and the kitten is still loosing their baby teeth, the brushing can cause pain. Then, the cat will forever associate tooth brushing with pain. Is that true? I don't know. I know that's not what you asked, but I thought it was still important enough to mention.
Absolutely an important question. Unfortunately, I have no idea. Logically that sounds like it's accurate though as you'd be moving baby teeth when brushing and I doubt that would be a pleasant feeling.

Great on you for starting early!

As far as a set schedule goes, I try to brush Salem's teeth at least twice a week. I do think If I did it every day at the same time, she would figure it out pretty quickly and disappear. So, if your cat picks up on patterns easily (some do, some don't) then maybe you should shake up the time of day when you approach them with a toothbrush. If you really want to brush their teeth every day (more power to you), maybe randomly skip a day every once and a while to keep the kitties on their toes.
Cats are a little too smart sometimes. That's why I was worried. It's bad enough they're pretty psychic and seem to know what we're going to do before we do. Can't give them any other advantage.

I think we should keep them on their toes, or try.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mine doesn’t seem to mind. I just grab him and brush whenever i remember. It helps to have the toothbrush ready with a dollop of toothpaste on it :)

As for the getting used to finger in mouth thing, I think it’s more of getting used to having *my* finger near his mouth and trusting him not to chomp down on me. I started off doing it super gingerly... afraid that he would instinctively bite me. It took me a while to realize that I can just pry his mouth open and he doesn’t really mind. Your cat may differ!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy is 8 months old and so far he seems to dislike my finger in his mouth. I’m just trying to be preventive with the tooth brushing. I’m not even going to try to get my older 15 year old cat to accept teeth brushing! I will try the finger slips to. Any other suggestions?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
danteshuman danteshuman you can try the gauze too. Those small, soft ones for wounds. Get a roll and cut out a small piece, wrap around your finger. That seems easier for me than a toothbrush as I never seem to be able to navigate it around the mouth well with the brushes...

...Plus for Suru Suru it will have a double feature if kitty chops on you - you are already bandaged. ;)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've always tried to keep the brushing so as Mouse sees it as a treat. I don't usually use a brush and if I do it's one of those little interdental ones he can lick the paste off first and then I can sneak a little brushing in while he still enjoys the taste. He usually comes running if I say 'tooth time' and I figure there's going to be more success with the cleaning if it isn't a battle. 7 years in it works for us. We don't always do it at the same time now but did for the first couple of years and when his mouth's sore and needs more attention. Mostly because that way I'm less likely to forget. If I time it for before he gets fed he's much likelier to come running when I call and happier to let me finger rub round his teeth.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mservant mservant do you find the little interdental ones too hard? I was wondering about those.

I find getting the bottom one harder as they seem so small! I wonder sometimes if I'm even brushing them or the lips LOL

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
F FeralHearts I think you have to be careful with any brush but esp the inter dental ones because they are usually wire core. I use the largest size so not too sharp pointed and there's a little resistance when I do brush a bit. It seems to help that they don't force him to open his mouth and can get to the back teeth better than with my finger.

Gentle brushing or at least spreading the paste a little over some of the teeth is probably a good thing as long as there's nothing sharp to hurt your cat. When gums are sore I never use anything other than my finger or let Mouse lick the paste. It seems to work pretty well without brushing anyway. Sometimes makes me wonder if the main benefit is that I get to take a regular look at Mouse's gums without him fretting too much.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to do this, but it seems like I can't ever get near the back teeth....which are generally the problem teeth. My cat doesn't put up much of a fight, but I can't seem to get there with either the tiny toothbrush or the finger brush! How do you guys get all of the teeth?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to do this, but it seems like I can't ever get near the back teeth....which are generally the problem teeth. My cat doesn't put up much of a fight, but I can't seem to get there with either the tiny toothbrush or the finger brush! How do you guys get all of the teeth?
I completely understand what you mean.

The back teeth take some convincing with kitty - at least with mine, it does. It's why I literally use my finger with gauze wrapped around it or a microfiber finger slip. For the life of me, I can't seem to get either the finger toothbrush or a normal kitty one back there. I even tried a baby toothbrush.

The bottom teeth seem so small I feel like I'm brushing their lips and missing the teeth and gums entirely!

I think with more practice we'll get all of the teeth?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I'm using currently for the microfiber,

but with the one kitty, the material sometimes gets snagged on the tooth. So I'm looking at this kind:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You broke the internet! ;)

Let's see if this works?

The microfiber one:

On Amazon it's called:
Petosan Microfiber Fingerbrush Oral Cleaner for Pets

The one I am looking at getting next to try (Textured cotton looking):

On amazon, it's called:
Alfie Pet - Avent Cotton Pet Dental Finger Brush

Did those work?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
:spew:. Aw, don't worry Suru, the Internet still seems to be working. Link now works for me.

I'm not so thorough with Mouse as the enzyme paste is supposed to work even when not brushed on. I move finger or little brush about when I can but mostly rely on natural saliva and tongue movement to move the paste around. Actually I find the back teeth easier than those sharp canines (though sadly Mouse now only has his two top canines due to tooth reabsorption).

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
xo Suru Suru just teasing.

Odd, both links look the same to me, but from now on I'll do it the second way as there is obviously something I did wrong - or it's simply likes the second way better :-)

mservant mservant I've read the same about the enzyme toothpaste. I've order some and it should be her is about a week. It's the C.E.T brand- I'm still going to brush too, or try lol.

I've started prepping the surface and getting them adjusted with an anti-bacterial get. They seem to at least not mind the taste. Bonus! Hopefully they feel the same way about the toothpaste.:running:

It was really cool to read about how cat tongues clean the insides so we don't have to fret about that. PHEW.

*Hugs Mouse*

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hilos! I am also thinking of how to improve on brushing my cat's teeth. Now I brush him with a soft toothbrush which i use to play with him like brushing his forehead and face and then gently move to him mouth. He don't seems to mind for the first few brush, then he will push away.

I was looking for a honest review of those gel I saw in the pet shops - Tropiclean gel for cats:
Fresh Breath by TropiClean: Oral Care Gel for Cats

which only requires me to make a few drops on the gums to work.
Any users before and is it safe for my cat?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not familiar with that brand P phobebon but if marketed specifically for cats hopefully it should be safe. Zinc chloride is used in some human mouthwash preparations to freshen breath and reduce bacteria breeding in plaque. What this paste is less likely to do than the enzyme pastes available is to prevent /remove plaque in addition to bacteria reduction. It would mean more brushing required which can be difficult esp if there isn't something your cat likes about the paste and the contact. CET and Logic are two readily available enzyme pastes for cats.
Mouse loves pretty much any attention and loves the poultry and fish flavour tooth pastes so I'm pretty lucky.