Teenage kitty needs mouthwash

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jackie went to his annual vet visit. He is 26? 17? Months old. The vet said his gums were kinda swollen & he was starting to develop tarter. She recommended I wipe his teeth & gums gently down, once a day with some kind of pet enzyme mouth wash (moisten a cotton square.)

Can you please recommend a pet safe mouth wash?

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also get dental-care specific food as well! The kibbles are larger, so as long as your cat isn't a hoover-vac then the crunching takes off excess plaque.
I would get a dental for him first to get him on a clean slate
I second this! And then the dental food to take off tartar before it forms and prolong the time between professional dental cleanings.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't particularly like the larger kibbles and if possible it's better to feed canned anyways since it gives them moisture which helps keep the kidneys flushed.

I've seen some pet mouth wash that you add to the water bowl but your cat is young enough that you should be able to train her to tolerate a finger toothbrush.

Do not use human oral hygiene products though, they are too potent and will make her foam at the mouth.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not use additives in the water. Water should be pure and clean so it doesn't deter kitty. And no kibble shouldn't be recommended for dental issues..crackers don't clean our teeth, why would it clean theirs? Dental solutions (brushing, tooth paste, dentals, mouth wash) for dental problems please.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not use additives in the water. Water should be pure and clean so it doesn't deter kitty. And no kibble shouldn't be recommended for dental issues..crackers don't clean our teeth, why would it clean theirs? Dental solutions (brushing, tooth paste, dentals, mouth wash) for dental problems please.
The only reason I added the point about the water additive was that i have used it for an uncooperative cat in the past who would take your finger off if you poked in his mouth. I used a syringe though not directly in the water bowl.

Finger brush is ideal but not all cats will tolerate it.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I added the point about the water additive was that i have used it for an uncooperative cat in the past who would take your finger off if you poked in his mouth. I used a syringe though not directly in the water bowl.

Finger brush is ideal but not all cats will tolerate it.
I can only brush one kitty's mouth. The other 2 we get them regular dentals more often since we don't or are unable to brush their teeth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with whoever said to get a dental cleaning first. Absolutely. Did the vet not suggest this at all? They check bloodwork first to make sure they are safe for anesthesia and then they can also take dental xrays while under to see what the teeth look like under the gums and remove any that look bad.

Definitely do this first. And do it now before they get really bad and it turns into a small fortune to fix.