Teddy's Not Eating

TeddyCatsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 3.5 month old British Short Hair who is usually very active and a great eater. Yesterday he suddenly stopped eating and has been quite lethargic (sleeping, not playful). We had given him some boiled chicken breast on Saturday night, which he didn't seem to get enough of. We gave him a bit more yesterday, but that's when he suddenly turned his nose at it and hasn't wanted to eat. We thought he might be constipated so we've given him some pumpkin puree with a syringe which he seems to enjoy, but he won't eat any of his cat food. All we feed him is wet canned food and he will not go near it. Sniffs at it a bit and walks away. My kids are all so anxious, I don't know what to do. Please help.

BNE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you taken him to a vet? I know that's a bland standard response, but some of the reasons he might not be eating could be (very unlikely, but still possible) infections, kidney failure, pancreatitis, intestinal problems, and cancer. A trick that might work would be to warm up some water and mix it with some wet food (fish they usually like).

I really hope teddy is feeling better soon! And, could you please upload a picture? I would love to see him!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TeddyCatsMom TeddyCatsMom , a quick visit at the vet, or just a call, might solve the problem. It might simply be that your kitten has a tracheitis, a sore throat, and he refuses to eat because he feels pain when he's eating. He might have a furball stuck somewhere and this makes him constipated. Have you seen if he had visited his litter box in the last hours?
He might have a URI, which makes impossible for him to smell the food.
He might have nausea, and this you could see yourself, you should see him lip smacking even when he's resting.
Please let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeddyCatsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you taken him to a vet? I know that's a bland standard response, but some of the reasons he might not be eating could be (very unlikely, but still possible) infections, kidney failure, pancreatitis, intestinal problems, and cancer. A trick that might work would be to warm up some water and mix it with some wet food (fish they usually like).

I really hope teddy is feeling better soon! And, could you please upload a picture? I would love to see him!!
We are taking him in today; he is urinating and seems to want to eat when I gave him the pureed pumpkin with the syringe. He pooped a bit last night before we went to bed, but nothing overnight and nothing so far this morning.
That's him in my profile picture.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeddyCatsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi TeddyCatsMom TeddyCatsMom , a quick visit at the vet, or just a call, might solve the problem. It might simply be that your kitten has a tracheitis, a sore throat, and he refuses to eat because he feels pain when he's eating. He might have a furball stuck somewhere and this makes him constipated. Have you seen if he had visited his litter box in the last hours?
He might have a URI, which makes impossible for him to smell the food.
He might have nausea, and this you could see yourself, you should see him lip smacking even when he's resting.
Please let us know.
Thanks for the response, calling the vet now. Hoping it's something minor... my kids are so worried.

BNE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are taking him in today; he is urinating and seems to want to eat when I gave him the pureed pumpkin with the syringe. He pooped a bit last night before we went to bed, but nothing overnight and nothing so far this morning.
That's him in my profile picture.
Oh my goodness! He is just adorable! Please let us know how he went!