Tearing up the carpet

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this crazy cat named Thunder as you all know by now. I have to shut the bathroom door at night cause she has a very big mouth and whines all night. I have told you all before that I'm not supposed to have the cats in our apartment and Thunder goes in the bathroom at night and does what she does best whines. So she is locked out of the bathroom so the neighbor can't hear her. My problem is she tears the carpet by the door.What am I too do ? I have to put a towel there to cover it up. Any suggestions ?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you find a piece of laminate, heavy plastic or sheet metal that will fit under the threshold of the door?  It doesn't have to be too thick, just enough to prevent her from tearing at the carpet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find a floor protector (the kind they put under rolling office chairs) at a thrift store/yard sale, that would work best. The plastic is hard to cut but it makes a very sturdy under-door scratch guard. Even if you can't find a used one cheap, brand new they're only $20-$30, which is at least cheaper than replacing the carpet! And you can make 3 under-door protectors out of one (in case there are other doors she likes to scratch under).

Second-best would be cutting a protector out of a storage tote (the colored ones are easier to cut than the clear ones). Totes are cheap, and maybe you can find a used or broken one for even cheaper.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've used one of the floor runner/protectors like you'd put down in a hallway over carpet.  It has "teeth" on the bottom side to grab the carpet.  I've used it both teeth up and teeth down (up to discourage the clawing); just don't step on it yourself if the teeth are up! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you all gave me great ideas thanks alot

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You really need Carpet Scratch Stoppers, they are specially made mats just for this problem. The mats fit in the doorways and cover the areas that my cats would tear up. I have only ever rented two apartments and my cats destroyed the carpet in the first one and it cost me a lot of money to fix but luckily I had these for my second apartment! 

Last edited: