Teaka, Ckd, & A New Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Her condition is progressing very quickly. She's lost some bladder control already. We're still giving her the Bupe to try and keep the pain managed.

As a distraction, I've been letting her outside in our backyard for a couple hours in the evenings (not so hot). She's always been an indoor only cat, so this is something new and interesting for her.

Thank you for the comforting thoughts, it's always hard when we have to let them go.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning Teaka could not keep even a few tiny bites of food down. She has lost bladder control, and has been hiding either behind the couch or under the bed.

We had a home visit appointment set up for Tuesday, but we decided to call the vet and see if we could move things to today. However, when I called, none of the people we know were in the office. No offense to the new vet, but our regular Doc has a better mannerism for this kind of thing.

As I spoke with the new receptionist, I became a bit upset and frustrated. I know she was trying her best to be conciliatory, but we don't like taking our pets in for euth... all the strange noises and smells and unpleasant associations... we really prefer to do it at home. Problem was, our Doc was out of town, and she has surgeries scheduled for Monday morning, and the poor girl I was talking to could only try and schedule us for a clinic visit. I went ahead and scheduled it... then I sent a desperate text to the senior tech.

The senior tech was also out of town on a camping trip, and I felt like such a tool interrupting her time off. But I begged her to contact the Doc and see if she could come over early in the morning, since I know she actually lives close by us (though I don't have her address, I'm not stalkerish that way). The tech said she'd give it a try, but not to hold out much hope for it.

I feel so badly for Teaka, she is so obviously uncomfortable despite the Bupe. And I'm frustrated that we may not be able to give her last comforts at home. I don't know whether I should go ahead and take her in, or hold out for the extra hours at end of day to do it at home.

To add another layer of bad timing; sometime tomorrow, we are supposed to take in my friends cat for a six week stay while she is on vacation. Our last remaining cat, Loki, is going to be so confused (though he has been leaving Teaka alone for the last week or so).

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like we'll be keeping the clinic appointment.

Our senior vet tech referred us to a local vet who specializes in home euth, but the phone number seems to be disconnected. So.

She went outside this morning for a few minutes, but decided she preferred to stay in on my comfy chair.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support. truly.

We took her in to the vet we've been seeing for years. Both Doc and Tech were there. In a weird way, it's less about the process, and more about the people going through it with you. Hubby was in some ways more of a wreck than I. Even our Tech was in tears because she was reminded of our other cat (Teaka's son) who she adored and who we lost last year. There were many hugs all around. Teaka actually settled in the comfy couch they had and passed quietly on her last journey across the bridge.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Teka, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

When you feel up to it, and if you haven't already, do post a tribute to your sweet girl in the Crossing the Bridge forum. Hugs, Darlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.