TCS users...Do you prefer Petco or Petsmart?

Do you prefer to shop at Petco or Petsmart?

• Petco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Petsmart

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like either of them. I prefer to give the business to the local pet store. He's got to be competitive on pricing anyway.

If I had to choose a big box, I'd vote for Petsmart though. They changed the face of pet adoptions in the country, and do so much for rescue animals.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted neither. Mainly because we don't have either of them here. 
 That being said, I don't care for any large pet store chains in general. I find most poorly run and too expensive.

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I voted for Petsmart since one of their stores is 12 miles from my home. Another reason is they carry the two grain free dry cat food my male Manx cat loves to eat. The two brands are Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck recipe (40% protein) and Innova Prime Chicken & Turkey (42% protein).

Since my cat doesn't like stale food, these two different brands come in different sized pound bags. My cat favors the 2 pound bags. It doesn't get stale before he finishes it and Petsmart carries these sizes in both brands.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went with Petco, but that's 99% because there isn't a Petsmart within miles of me, I live in downtown Chicago and I don't have a car. I do like Petsmart better, but I haven't been in one since I adopted my cats a couple years ago.

I also don't really like small pet stores. Sure, the people are nice, helpful, etc, but the prices are crazy compared to the big box stores on equivalent items. The only time I go to the small pet store just around the corner from me is when I buy the cats some ultra premium food for treats.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted Petco before I saw the option to vote "neither".  Petco has a much better healthy food selection, and they are branching into selling raw.  Petsmart seems to have more of the junk food brands are very misinformed employees (at least here).

Given the choice, I'd go to the independent pet food store here instead.  Their prices are cheaper to begin with, and then they offer discounts if you buy a case (or 25 random assorted brands/flavors). 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering I do feed the lower end foods I go for price and selection.  Petsmarts WAY better in both departments for that near me.  Litter is bought at the tractor supply store so its just alot of wet and some dry for the outside cats

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted neither because I work at a pet store that is neither of those, lol. I do still go to Petsmart sometimes, we don't have a Petco around me though (are they even in Canada?). I do like what Petsmart's done in terms of the adoptions though, I adopted a cat from there a few years ago. 
I went with Petco, but that's 99% because there isn't a Petsmart within miles of me, I live in downtown Chicago and I don't have a car. I do like Petsmart better, but I haven't been in one since I adopted my cats a couple years ago.

I also don't really like small pet stores. Sure, the people are nice, helpful, etc, but the prices are crazy compared to the big box stores on equivalent items. The only time I go to the small pet store just around the corner from me is when I buy the cats some ultra premium food for treats.
It's funny you say this because I've found that the smaller pet stores around here are very close to the prices at Petsmart. They may be slightly higher (or lower on some items) but when you factor in gas/bus fare/etc it's usually similarly priced. 

One thing that's also interesting to note - certain pet food companies have frequent buyer programs, these programs are different for big chain stores than they are for independent retailers. As an example, there one company (I can't remember the name, sorry) that is buy 12 bags get 1 free at chain stores and buy 8 bags get 1 free at independent stores, I think they just changed it to 10 bags for independent stores. 
I voted Petco before I saw the option to vote "neither".  Petco has a much better healthy food selection, and they are branching into selling raw.  Petsmart seems to have more of the junk food brands are very misinformed employees (at least here).

Given the choice, I'd go to the independent pet food store here instead.  Their prices are cheaper to begin with, and then they offer discounts if you buy a case (or 25 random assorted brands/flavors). 
I wanted to comment on the misinformed employees part. It can definitely be true, but the bigger stores also rely heavily on demonstrators from the food companies to come in and educate both the staff and customers (through demonstrations) on the foods. A lot of it is also left up to the employees to learn, that's what it's like where I work, although we do have to take a test and pass it with 90% before our probationary period is up. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I chose Petsmart because their litter is cheaper and I do like their cat adoption center. Their pet boarding is nice too (in comparison to many others I've seen). THe store by my parents is very clean and all the animals are very well taken cared for.

Whilte Petco has the food I feed my cats (though I buy it through amazon), I am not impressed with the way they take care of the animals at all

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Petsmart. It is cleaner and brighter than Petco IMO. Just the feeling when I walk in the doors anyways. I do like the Petco has some better quality pet foods though. I do not have any small independent stores near me.

Theisen's is the all time best store to me though. They are a farm store in Iowa that carry some great brands of food for decent prices.

• Purraise
Reactions: kkh

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for Petco.  It's the only option locally I have.  They have some pet shops and a PetSmart in Springfield but its hardly worth the drive for any savings.  Plus, I've checked online and the prices are pretty much the same.  So, other than Walmart, Petco is my only option... And Petco has the far superior food selection. 

Also, they have cats for adoption 24/7 there and they really push people to give kindly out of their hearts for their adoption cats... A toy or treats or food.  Most places really push dogs and not so much cats.  But my local Petco seems to be geared in favor of the felines... Dogs are available on weekends but cats are there all the time!!  And they do pretty good, too.  No one cat seems to be there longer than a week without being adopted... They do NOT send to kill shelters or euthanize themselves.  It's all adoptions!

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, they have cats for adoption 24/7 there and they really push people to give kindly out of their hearts for their adoption cats... A toy or treats or food.  Most places really push dogs and not so much cats.  But my local Petco seems to be geared in favor of the felines... Dogs are available on weekends but cats are there all the time!!  And they do pretty good, too.  No one cat seems to be there longer than a week without being adopted... They do NOT send to kill shelters or euthanize themselves.  It's all adoptions!
My local Petco is the same way. Actually, they have a bin of toys/treats right next to their cats available for adoption. When you donate, you are giving one of the cats in the store a toy (and they let you play with the cat as much as you like, too) and they also send a toy or some treats to a shelter. I always liked that because you get the immediate satisfaction of seeing one of the cats in the store get a fun new toy, and you're also helping out the shelter cats who especially need something to brighten their days. I'm sure the toys you give the cats in the store are always the same and they get put back in the bin once that cat is adopted, but it's still fun to get to play with a cat. From what I have seen, tons more people are donating to cats so they can play with the store cats.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted Petco. We have both here in town, as well as a Pet Supermarket. I used to go to Pet Smart, until they stopped carrying the by nature I used to buy.

Pet Smart is cleaner & brighter, as others here have said, but Petco does have more healthy choices.  I can also find the brands I buy at Pet Supermarket, & it's closer, so, I go there often as well.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I voted neither because there wasn't a choice for both. I actually don't use either very often, but I like the variety of brands I can get at the Petsmart store better. For online purchases Petco usually has more of the things I need at better prices.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Petsmart for me. Honestly because ther is no other option around us unless you shop in the pet section of the grocery store or one small store that charges about 20% more for everything.

To be fair to Petsmart, though, their prices are good and the have a good selection here, plus they've never given us a hard time about returns...on anything. I also really like that they work with local rescue groups for adoptions in-store.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a Petco anywhere near here but there is a PetSmart a little over an hour away and we go there fairly frequently. (A couple times a month.) They LOVE to see us coming because we always spend a small fortune!
I find they have a lot of sales, and if things even get remotely close to the best before date they discount it at 50% off. Well with the amount of cats I have along with the fosters, we go through food so quickly that we never go beyond the best before date anyway, so it works out perfectly. The smaller local pet stores here are incredibly expensive and don't have nearly the selection PetSmart does. I too really love the PetSmart adoptions and how they support shelters & rescues.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's not an option for both, but that would be my choice.  I like the food choices better at PetCo because they offer more grain-free options and the larger cans.  They also will price match litter prices.  In general, PetsMart is cheaper on litter and it's walking distance from my work. 

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Petsmart allway. PETCO is way too expensive, IMHO.

Too bad no PetsMart on this island, I miss the store:(

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted Petco mostly because they have 4 types of food that my cat can eat, where as, before a couple months ago, Petsmart had almost no choices for my cat. Also Petco is much more friendly and the people there much more knowledgeable. Petsmart is much cleaner and brighter though and where I go if I thinking 'health products': brushes, flea meds, pills, etc. I like both. *shrug*

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I voted for PetSmart, largely because they have a better selection of their own brands of foods, but also because they have a much better cat adoption program with better facilities.