Taz Has Died

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our wonderful cat Taz has died at age 16 of HCM and congestive heart failure. Taz was a loving, affectionate cat who loved to have his people around. He was very interactive and he was opinionated about when, where and how he wanted to be played with, scratched and fed. Like most cats he liked the schedule to stay the same, but he would sit in different places to indicate where he wanted to be fed.

We got him when he was 10 and affection starved, he immediately flopped open for belly rubs and started licking us lots. One of my favorite memories was when we gave him his first xmas stocking. We called him over, he jumped up and sat while we took everything out.
He went to my husband and gave him about 5 head butts, and did the same to me. Normally we would only get 1 or 2, so he was so thankful. My husband was just telling me about how he'd still been waiting by the door for me to get home from work at 6:30, and ask him "why isn't she here" and sometimes walk away dejected if I was kind of late. So adorable.

We didn't know how much time he had left and lately after work I'd come home and have him beside me or on my belly for hrs at a time. At night he'd often hold my hand with his paw for a while before we both went to sleep. Maybe guess he knew he might not have much time left.

On wed he was breathing a little heavier and started coughing, we took him into the emerge vet and he went into the back. The vet came out and told us he was really struggling and we had to decide quickly whether to drain the fluid from his lungs or euthanize him. She said his lungs could fill up again in 1 or 2 days, and suggested 2 wks at the outside. We didn't want him to have to die a painful death (with possible blood clots) alone when we were at work or asleep, so we choose to put him to sleep. We said our goodbyes and Taz stared intensely into my eyes without blinking as he went. The love we have for Taz is profound and this has been one of the most important relationships of our lives especially since we live so far from family. One thing that was sad was that Taz hadn't given up on life, he was fighting hard and I could tell by the look in his eyes he didn't want to die but his body was at the end of the road.

Someone told me Taz was sensitive and that's how I used to think of him (as well as saucy and regal) but he was a tough cat too and survived HCM for 2 yrs and IBD for one year, as well as a few homes, a kill shelter, and getting lost thanks to my parents. Taz you have been a magical cat, we love you.
IMG_20130301_195654.jpg
2013-05-18_17.18.30.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Taz, dearest baby, you received the most courageous gift from your loving, compassionate people, so that you could retain your dignity and grace.

RIP sweetheart, you carried out your job of being a feline in the most charming, gutsy, and marvelous way. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20130502_225205.jpg
Thank you so much for your kind message; made me tear up again.

Last edited:

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Sorry, duplicate post)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a lucky cat.
Starved for love and he knew it, and knew his "people" when he found them.
I'm so sorry he's passed on. But I'm so happy he had you.
They deserve the best, we all do. And those of us lucky to share love with an animal are VERY lucky, and they're very happy to have that.
I wish you and Taz could have had more time together.
I'm always (happily) shocked at how many loving people take in a cat at the age of 10+. These cats are so hard for shelters and rescues to place in a good home, as most people want a kitten or young adult.
Taking on a senior is not always easy, but the right people come along and take in the animal friend that needs them the most.
I know you're sad. I know you miss him a lot. But I can't help but smile when I read of good people who take in a senior and give them all the love they can take for however many years they have left.
Rest easy Mr. Taz. And S sarah c ...you done good my friend. :wave3::grouphug:

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind words Bruce and taking the time to reply. My husband was encouraged to take in Taz and I didn't really want a cat at the time but relented. So age wasn't really a factor. I think senior cats are great though and they are often less likely to do silly, dangerous things.

Although I do feel positive about how we looked after him for six yrs, I would do things a little differently the last few months if I could. The first two times he got sick I researched HCM and IBD, I was on top of it. When he went to the cardiologist in June, she said he might have early CHF but she wasn't sure if the amount of fluid around his lungs was CHF or normal for him (as everyone has some). Since then we haven't done anything different but give him clopidogrel, then switched to aspirin. The cardiologist mentioned we could have our reg vet take a dopler to his chest to monitor it, without doing a full ultrasound the next time we had a check up, but she didn't make it sound like it was urgent. Anyway, I didn't research CHF like I had with other illnesses, I don't know why. I guess I just assumed there wasn't much else we could do, and he seemed OK, but now I know he could've been on Lasix and I wish I had taken him in to see our vet as in hindsight 3 months is a long time for someone in this condition. Anyway, sorry my posts are so long.

Just to be clear I'm not beating my self up too much, I know he was coming too the end of the road regardless but that is the one thing I might change if I could do it again. Even when I was giving the vet tech at emerg his history she exclaimed "He has't been to the vet since June?" all indignant. As my husband says, it's best to stop with the woulda, coulda shoulda, it doesn't do anyone any good, but I guess I just like to reflect that way.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks Maggie he did have a lot of escapades and stories.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All those should haves, could haves, come whether the death was traumatic or peaceful at home. It is a part of grief that no one escapes. Try not to dwell on Taz's death. Do not make it more important that the 6 years he shared your life's journey. That is infinitely more important, especially to him, it was his everything. You built a bond with him, you gave him a family to love and a home that was safe, full of food and good times, full of the love he craved so much. For that he thanks you so very much, he would never want to bring such pain into the lives of those he loves so dearly. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, he only wants happiness and the joy in living to return to your own life.Because it is this happiness and joy that helps his own legacy of love live on, through you, for eternity. The darkness that grief brings shadows that love, allows sadness to rule your life, allows death to win. Love is spiritual, so can never be taken from you..."Death cannot take that which never dies". The love you share will help you work through this, to feel blessed for having that sweet boy in your life, to have never known him at all would be unthinkable.
It hurts, it hurts for a long time to lose such a precious boy. But he will be as near as your thoughts and prayers, send him those prayers and he will be at peace. My heart goes out to you, I'll pray that your memories of happier times will bring you comfort, will help your broken heart heal. Taz was a friend, a family member, a joy to have in your home. And that will live on for eternity through your memories. Please accept my sincere condolences, you are among friends who understand your pain, we have all walked that road...take care....RIP beautiful Taz. You will be forever missed, forever held secure in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact you gave him love and he had six awesome years. My first cat died almost 17 years and from time to time I still think was there something more I could have done for him. You and your husband have deepest condolences. Rest In Peace Taz.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that your time together ended but the time together was wonderful, what a cute little guy he is! He had a great life with you and knew it, 16 is pretty good for a cat but of course not as long as you wanted, but he is just fine now and you will see him again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for taking the time to post your kind, thoughtful messages, it's so helpful! This is a great supportive community.

Di and Bob, a special thank you for your words of wisdom, your perspective and great advice, your post is amazing and so appreciated. It's so true that our loved pets wouldn't want us to be sad or depressed over them. And yes, Taz was family and a great joy.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lisa.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The love we have for Taz is profound and this has been one of the most important relationships of our lives especially since we live so far from family. One thing that was sad was that Taz hadn't given up on life, he was fighting hard and I could tell by the look in his eyes he didn't want to die but his body was at the end of the road.
These lines really hit me!
They brought tears to my eyes. The whole post was a wonderful tribute to your handsome Taz, but those lines made all so clear.

No one can say that you didn't give him the love, care and attentions he needed. You were perfect guardians to him, he couldn't have asked for better parents, and I'm sure he is thanking you both for letting him pass without pain and with you next to him, shrouded in the greatest love you could give him.

RIP Taz, you had a wonderful life, a wonderful family. Shine on them everyday, and don't forget to give them a headbutt.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is said loving souls come back home to say a last good-by once they got the pair of wings.

So humans let one day the windows open at dawn, when the heart urges them to do so, for the soul to enter.

After that last good-by, souls let the wings with the humans, to protect them during the painful journey on Earth.

This is why we feel sometimes an air draft on our face, intensifying when we are alone, sad or in pain. By doing so, the loving souls help us to keep living and finding other Creatures to care, love and protect. Then our Duty shall be stronger than our Sorrow.

+++

I am sure Taz was happy and He will bring You an wonderful, bright pair of wings.

My tears.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These lines really hit me!
They brought tears to my eyes. The whole post was a wonderful tribute to your handsome Taz, but those lines made all so clear.

No one can say that you didn't give him the love, care and attentions he needed. You were perfect guardians to him, he couldn't have asked for better parents, and I'm sure he is thanking you both for letting him pass without pain and with you next to him, shrouded in the greatest love you could give him.

RIP Taz, you had a wonderful life, a wonderful family. Shine on them everyday, and don't forget to give them a headbutt.[/QUOTE

Headbutts are our favorite, can't you tell? I'm pretty blase about the internet, but to think someone shed a tear about my cat all the way across the ocean is pretty special and cool. It inspires me to want to raise a glass to you and your 2 cats across the ocean tomorrow night. Thank you for the kind words Antonio.

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is said loving souls come back home to say a last good-by once they got the pair of wings.

So humans let one day the windows open at dawn, when the heart urges them to do so, for the soul to enter.

After that last good-by, souls let the wings with the humans, to protect them during the painful journey on Earth.

This is why we feel sometimes an air draft on our face, intensifying when we are alone, sad or in pain. By doing so, the loving souls help us to keep living and finding other Creatures to care, love and protect. Then our Duty shall be stronger than our Sorrow.

+++

I am sure Taz was happy and He will bring You an wonderful, bright pair of wings.

My tears.
I'm sorry I messed up this quote and replied below, dunno if moderators can delete?

Last edited: