Tax prep software

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone use tax prep software? I usually get TurboTax Deluxe but the reviews on Amazon for this year's version is pretty bad. Apparently a lot of stuff was removed from the Deluxe version and now available only on the Premier version. Plus there was a recent issue with sate tax returns being fraudulantly filed using TurboTax. Has anyone used the 2014 version of TurboxTax Deluxe and how does it compare to the previous year's version? Does anyone use H&R Block Deluxe? How does that compare to TurboTax, if you used TurboxTax before?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used the Turbotax just fine again this year I always use the deluxe. We don't file for state tax in FL. So I don't have any experience with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone else who has used this year's version of TurboxTax Deluxe or other software?

Last edited:

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave up on Turbo Tax  years ago after using it for years.  I think the first year I used it was 1999 and in those days it was great.  The reason I changed to HR Block Tax Cut was because I had problems updating the software for two years in a row. 

The first thing Tax Cut asks when you install is "do you want to check for updates".   Turbo Tax would wait until you got to the end to ask about updates.  The first time I had problems with it my computer kept crashing and the software would not let me continue with out doing it.  After many tries I was successful.  The next year I decided to do updates before doing my return.  Again I had problems.  I was so frustrated I finally had to call customer support.  They were not very polite but I finally got it done.  

After that I decided to change and it turns out the person who had suggested Turbo Tax had also changed and was recommending Tax Cut (it was plain Tax Cut before HR Block bought it).  

The only problem was the first year I had to enter all my information manually.  After that you can transfer information from previous years and edit it to fit the current return. 

The last few years I have been sending my return electronically which is a feature of the software.  Also I like the fact that I save my returns in a PDF format as well as their file format.   Previously I saved my Turbo Tax files and still have them but have no way to access them. 

I don't have to file state taxes so I just get the Deluxe version that has forms for itemized deductions. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Turbo Tax and it seemed the same as past years, with the exception that you can't do your State taxes anymore apparently.  They tell you how much you get back or (in our case) how much you owe, but that's it.

I think I've saved my return in PDF in past years, I can't really remember though. I do know you can file electronically through them, which we do.  You had to pay to file the State taxes though. I used to save the PDF of the state and then file it myself, but they stopped letting you do that at some point.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I used Turbo Tax and it seemed the same as past years, with the exception that you can't do your State taxes anymore apparently.  They tell you how much you get back or (in our case) how much you owe, but that's it.

I think I've saved my return in PDF in past years, I can't really remember though. I do know you can file electronically through them, which we do.  You had to pay to file the State taxes though. I used to save the PDF of the state and then file it myself, but they stopped letting you do that at some point.
I always save a PDF copy of both federal and state tax returns using TurboxTax. TurboxTax charges extra to e-file the state tax return so I just print out a copy and mail it.

I think I'll stick with TurboTax again this year.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I got TurboxTax Deluxe and did my taxes. I didnt notice any difference between this year's version and last year's version
My taxes are pretty basic and uncomplicated anyways, though this time I did have a bit of medical expenses to itemize. I have a nice federal refund coming but owe the state some money
I saved the file as PDF and will print it out tomorow at work (I've been meaning to get more ink for home printer
) and snail mail the returns in.