Taurine

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going through a problem with my cat, Cleo, not eating enough. All blood test results are "perfect," according to my vet. He prescribed an appetite stimulant and Nurti-Cal. She doesn't like them, but I've been finding ways to make them more palatable (with low success). I worry that, during this period, she is not getting enough taurine in her diet. What is the minimum daily requirement for taurine intake? Is there such a thing as feeding too much taurine? Are bonito flakes a healthy source of taurine? Do they increase the need for water intake (meaning, are they too salty)? Finally, what brand of bonito flakes is the healthiest? (and any other advice on how to get taurine into her). Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Taurine is water soluble so any extra the body doesn't need gets removed by the kidneys and comes out with the urine.

The minimum taurine requirement by AAFCO is 0.080 per 1000k cal of metabolic energy (ME) for adult cat maintenance. Or, another way of looking at it, is 0.20% per kg of canned diet (both growth and maintenance) and 0.10% per kg of dry diet (both growth and maintenance).

Muscle meat is a good source of taurine. You can offer small amounts of plain cooked or raw meat and even poultry hearts for taurine. There are also powdered taurine supplements you can buy and can mix into food. The Raw and Home Cooked forum would be a better place to ask about taurine supplements.

Did the vet check the teeth? Dental problems can be painful and result in a cat not wanting to eating despite appetite stimulants and the like. Many vets are clueless about dental health, though, so you may need to seek out a veterinary dentist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, LTS3, for your very helpful, detailed answer. I should have said, in my post, that Cleo did have dental work, and that her mouth has been checked again since the dental work, to be sure that she isn't suffering from mouth pain. Everything looks good and clean. I will follow your advice, but also would like to know what you think about my question about bonito flakes -- I'd really appreciate this.

popcorncharlie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try mixing powdered Taurine with tuna water (or canned/wet food), maybe? Stir it together and add to Cleo's food.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure what the RDA for taurine is for kitties offhand, but I believe that any excess of taurine is simply excreted, so there’s not really a concern of getting too much.
To get more taurine into kitty, hearts are a rich source, so chicken hearts would be good, and not too difficult to find. Ask the butcher in the grocery store, or find a dedicated butcher shop.
Dr. Tim’s products make freeze-dried turkey heart chips, which my little Zeke boy loves.

I use taurine powder when making raw food just to be sure there’s plenty. It’s tasteless and dissolves easily, so you could add that to some tuna juice or something.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I believe that bonito flakes do have taurine and sodium. How much may depend on the brand. You might search the website of the brand you’re using (or want to use).

I make my cats’ food and use this taurine as one of the supplements:
https://www.vitacost.com/now-taurine-powder

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also discuss with the vet a multivitamin paste that has taurine. It is not a replacement for food of course but if he's also getting a bit less nutrition in general, a multivitamin might help with that too.

I use GimCat Multivitamin Paste with street cats, which has taurine too. Back when I gave it to my own cat, she would lick it off the tube. With street cats I put some on a piece of boiled chicken or turkey.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, MissClouseau. She's been running away from the Nutri-Cal no matter how I try to entice her. But I just got Dr. Tim's flavor enhancer, and she (and her sister, Hazel), are coming around!