Taste Of The Wild Prey

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone feeding Taste of the wild Prey? Thoughts or experience with it? Im not sure about the Lentils?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ll attach the ingredients list to make it easier for the experts:

Taste of the Wild Prey: Beef
Beef, lentils, sunflower oil, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), DL-methionine, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin (vitamin B7), potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Taste of the Wild Prey: Turkey
Turkey, lentils, sunflower oil, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), DL-methionine, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin (vitamin B7), potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I’ve seen Taste of the Wild in stores, and I think it looks like a good brand. They’re grain-free, and high in protein. I think lentils aren’t that bad in cat food; it’s the really starchy veggies like potatoes that are better to have in lower quantities.

Just in case you haven’t seen these helpful nutrition articles:
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat

Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless your cat has allergies I wouldn’t recommend it and even then there are better lid foods out there. Not really sure why they call it “prey” unless cats prey is peas. It’s mostly likely more lentils than actual meat after the cookin process takes the water out of the meat. So not a very good food. Rather gimmicky imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll attach the ingredients list to make it easier for the experts:

Taste of the Wild Prey: Beef
Beef, lentils, sunflower oil, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), DL-methionine, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin (vitamin B7), potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Taste of the Wild Prey: Turkey
Turkey, lentils, sunflower oil, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), DL-methionine, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin (vitamin B7), potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I’ve seen Taste of the Wild in stores, and I think it looks like a good brand. They’re grain-free, and high in protein. I think lentils aren’t that bad in cat food; it’s the really starchy veggies like potatoes that are better to have in lower quantities.

Just in case you haven’t seen these helpful nutrition articles:
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat

Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
thank you for posting that. i didnt even think about it :( Im looking for a food for my mothers farm cats. this one would be easy for her to get at tractor supply. I have been reading lately about oxalate in cat foods, and Lentils seems to have lower amounts than a lot of other ingredients some foods use???

Last edited:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lentils....seems like it would help a cat with constipation. And the third ingredient is oil. Hmmm.....

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lentils....seems like it would help a cat with constipation. And the third ingredient is oil. Hmmm.....
I do like that small ingredient list :)

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she’s going to tractor supply their grain free 4health brand is decent canned food. I’m not sure if the TOTW you were describing is kibble or canned.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legumes are high in lectins and lectins can cause inflammation.

Legumes can also make some humans gassy, imagine an obligate carnivore ...

The company is obviously using lentils to bulk up the protein cheaply instead of meat (notice how under the guaranteed analysis, "protein", companies do not indicate how much of the protein comes from meat versus non-meat fillers although this company appears to list 38 percent on their site), still a substantial amount.

I would pass on this.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re looking for some simple canned food you can try Rawz. They use fenugreek seeds as a binder but their cans are over 90% meat so the amount of fenugreek is small. Plus fenugreek is supposed to be a soluble fiber so it’s not awful.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re looking for some simple canned food you can try Rawz. They use fenugreek seeds as a binder but their cans are over 90% meat so the amount of fenugreek is small. Plus fenugreek is supposed to be a soluble fiber so it’s not awful.
i do feed rawz to my inside cats, when they will eat it. I am looking for a dry for some farm cats. we do feed them wet as well, but i want to buy them a good dry that my mother can pick up local as well.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she’s going to tractor supply their grain free 4health brand is decent canned food. I’m not sure if the TOTW you were describing is kibble or canned.
this is a dry food. I think it actually looks good and its an affordable dry that we can find locally. I bought a bag of the turkey, and all the cats seem to really like it. we feed wet as well, but want a kibble to leave out as well.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as dry foods go, I would say the one you posted is average quality and is not bad if you’re planning on feeding dry but don’t want to break the bank.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legumes are high in lectins and lectins can cause inflammation.

Legumes can also make some humans gassy, imagine an obligate carnivore ...

The company is obviously using lentils to bulk up the protein cheaply instead of meat (notice how under the guaranteed analysis, "protein", companies do not indicate how much of the protein comes from meat versus non-meat fillers although this company appears to list 38 percent on their site), still a substantial amount.

I would pass on this.
peas do make my cats gassy, but lentils don't seem to bother them. most all dry foods have a form of carb, and starch to hold it together, and yes many do use the cheaper protein to bulk up the numbers. I do appreciate that this company actually list how much protein comes from what. Not a lot of companies do that, i wish they did.