Taste of the Wild Prey - Turkey

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used this cat food for a long time? Do your cats do well on it? I'm thinking of using it as an add on since it doesn't contain potatoes or peas (which potentially impair taurine absorption (?) ) I think it will decrease my cats' intake of peas if used as a supplement, but as it contains much more carbs coming from lentils and less proteins compared to other cat foods that I can feed them, I will not be using it as their primary source of nutrition. It also provides probiotics which is a bonus.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Lentils are legumes, much like peas, so imo, wouldn’t provide much benefit, especially considering the food is higher in carbs/lower in protein. You can offer pre and probiotics separately, if you think your cat would benefit from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lentils are legumes, much like peas, so imo, wouldn’t provide much benefit, especially considering the food is higher in carbs/lower in protein. You can offer pre and probiotics separately, if you think your cat would benefit from them.
I can consider adding probiotics separately. Other than that, it's hard to find pea free and potato free food that has high protein and low carbs.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of them, from what I’ve seen, though it does depend on your budget. Where are you located? Does your cat have any allergies or intolerances?

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of them, from what I’ve seen, though it does depend on your budget. Where are you located? Does your cat have any allergies or intolerances?
Unfortunately, there aren't many good options where I live (Lebanon). My cats are allergic to some types of food although I never got them officially tested. They are allergic to some Royal Canin ranges as well as barley containing food. I do know they are fine with chicken, turkey, pork, and salmon.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there aren't many good options where I live (Lebanon). My cats are allergic to some types of food although I never got them officially tested. They are allergic to some Royal Canin ranges as well as barley containing food. I do know they are fine with chicken, turkey, pork, and salmon.
Oh, I see. Having a small selection is rarely good. I’m guessing you mainly feed Brit Premium/Brit Care? The composition and nutritional breakdown looks good. While 2% peas isn’t ideal, it’s not a huge issue, imo, given it’s fairly low in the ingredients list, and presumably it’s used instead of gums and other starches for thickening.

I’ve taken a look at a few places that sell pet food in Lebanon, and here are a few alternatives worth checking out: Lily‘s Kitchen, Miglior Gatto, and Little Big Paw. I’ve seen others that look interesting, but haven’t been able to find any breakdowns for them on the sites that were selling them, or elsewhere.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m guessing you mainly feed Brit Premium/Brit Care? The composition and nutritional breakdown looks good. While 2% peas isn’t ideal, it’s not a huge issue, imo, given it’s fairly low in the ingredients list, and presumably it’s used instead of gums and other starches for thickening.
I have plans to try Brit Care pouches as they are low in peas and not as expensive as other wet food brands.
I’ve taken a look at a few places that sell pet food in Lebanon, and here are a few alternatives worth checking out: Lily‘s Kitchen, Miglior Gatto, and Little Big Paw.
Little Big Paw is good nutrition wise, but it is a bit expensive. There are some other options not found in online stores but only found in veterinary clinics here. The problem with those is that they are either outrageously priced or get out of stock quickly. It's so much easier to find good quality budget friendly dry food, but then again, the potato and pea issue remains.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little Big Paw and Lily's Kitchen are two good UK brands but are probably more expensive as you said. You could try adding them in a rotation even if you are still feeding primarily dry.
Almo Nature if available to you, has supplementary wet foods meant to be fed as a treat or for cats who eat dry food to add more hydration to the diet.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food
If I had to choose here I would go with Taste of the Wild

This one I cannot get full details of the Webbox but maybe that or Little Big Paw as part of a rotation.

Home

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little Big Paw and Lily's Kitchen are two good UK brands but are probably more expensive as you said. You could try adding them in a rotation even if you are still feeding primarily dry.
Almo Nature if available to you, has supplementary wet foods meant to be fed as a treat or for cats who eat dry food to add more hydration to the diet.
I can use Little Big Paw or Lily's Kitchen or Brit Premium as part of the rotation in addition to the dry food. If I find that wet food is sustainable for me for the long run, I'll consider weaning my cats off the dry food.

luca79

Aprikos and Mela
Young Cat
Purraise
Hei, is there ZooPlus in Lebanon? Taste of the wild is alright, never had a problem. If you can afford it try Almo. I visited their factory, they are great in my opinion

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hei, is there ZooPlus in Lebanon? Taste of the wild is alright, never had a problem. If you can afford it try Almo. I visited their factory, they are great in my opinion
There isn't ZooPlus here. It's good to know that Taste of the Wild is fine, and I'll check if I can find Almo in stores.

luca79

Aprikos and Mela
Young Cat
Purraise
GeoDjay GeoDjay of course you'll always find better food than that, but after some researches i have worked that Taste of the Wild is a good compromise between quality and price. Almo is definitively more expensive, but sometimes i find decent offers online. Good luck with that ;)

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GeoDjay GeoDjay of course you'll always find better food than that, but after some researches i have worked that Taste of the Wild is a good compromise between quality and price. Almo is definitively more expensive, but sometimes i find decent offers online. Good luck with that ;)
Thanks! :)