Taste of the Wild Cat Food Venison/Salmon

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone fed Taste of the Wild Cat Food, roasted venison and smoked salmon flavor to their cats. The pet shop gave it to me today. Opinions are welcome.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a quick search on site will yield you a lot.. I have feed it but found foods that work better with my cats ... IMHO the best grain free for the $$$

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed it and I too think that it's the best grain free cat food for the $$$. Storm is so shiny and soft and loves the flavor. She gets TOTW along with wellness GF canned food.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a TOTW feeder here too. The boys love it and have really nice coats, lots of energy. I also feed a wide variety of wet foods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started mixing it into my cats' food (5 different foods in the mix, LOL). And yeah, I've noticed they're shinier and more active now, and I think a couple of them might have lost a few ounces, or at least they look sleeker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is IMHO and TOTW. I am not knowledgeable about all these cat foods.
When the pet store man gave me the sample he stressed that it was grain free. What is the advantage in the grain free. Mattie has herpes and has to have lysine mixed in her food. She is eating just enought Meow Mix, Market Selects, to mix the lysine in and a Friskies dry mixed with it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

What is IMHO and TOTW. I am not knowledgeable about all these cat foods.
When the pet store man gave me the sample he stressed that it was grain free. What is the advantage in the grain free. Mattie has herpes and has to have lysine mixed in her food. She is eating just enought Meow Mix, Market Selects, to mix the lysine in and a Friskies dry mixed with it.
IMHO is text and web shorthand for in my humble opinion... and TOTW is Taste of the Wild!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So can someone tell me what is the advantage of grain free food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats TECHNICALLY have no NEED for carbs( grains are high in carbs) ... No grains are TYPICALLY higher in protein and fat than regular premiums with grain..( Note there are a few exceptions) ... On the downside the MINERAL levels are often VERY high..

Example time

No grain protein 42% , fat 22 % ash 9%

premium with grain 34% protein, 19% fat ash 7%

All NO grains have carbs ... evo is very low at 7% ( thou potato is high in the ingrediants)... Peas and potatos are the starches and carb givers in most no grains

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cats TECHNICALLY have no NEED for carbs( grains are high in carbs) ... No grains are TYPICALLY higher in protein and fat than regular premiums with grain..( Note there are a few exceptions) ... On the downside the MINERAL levels are often VERY high..

Example time

No grain protein 42% , fat 22 % ash 9%

premium with grain 34% protein, 19% fat ash 7%

All NO grains have carbs ... evo is very low at 7% ( thou potato is high in the ingrediants)... Peas and potatos are the starches and carb givers in most no grains
YOu also neglected to mention that grains are often high on the list of IBD and allergy inducing contents in a dry food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

YOu also neglected to mention that grains are often high on the list of IBD and allergy inducing contents in a dry food.
so are peas and potatoes... Only one no grain off hand does not use them

I personally have to IBD kitties.. neither handled no grain well.. they get food with rice and oats...

BUT yes ones triggers are wheat, barley, rye, soy and fish... the other seems to be lamb and likely potatoes( still figureing)

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

so are peas and potatoes... Only one no grain off hand does not use them

I personally have to IBD kitties.. neither handled no grain well.. they get food with rice and oats...

BUT yes ones triggers are wheat, barley, rye, soy and fish... the other seems to be lamb and likely potatoes( still figureing)
I can't go completely grain free either... b/c the boys won't eat the GF wet formulations. But they love freeze-dried chicken and fish treats!

I do suspect that Archie as well as Tex ( who had the diarrhea .. ref older post) are sensitive to too much fish... and I have been more careful about that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am really lost here. Maybe someone has answered my question and it just doesn't register yet. What is the advantage of grain free food to cats.????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SUPPOSED advatages:

higher protein - true MOST are higher in protein but many get just as much protein from NON meat sources as the grain containg ones

higher fat - Most are higher in fat

HIGHER in overall calories thus you feed less... IMHO this does not mean much to the cat who want s to eat

SUPPOSEDLY closer to a natural diet ... which in a grain free wet ( which can be found in ALL price ranges) is very true the dry well not thinking so

I mix grain free with grain containing as it helps keep things in balance ... all grain free dry gave me all 5 having to see the vet during it ... while the mix only two have had to see the vet ... ( seeing the vet for NON regular checks due to illness)

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed TOTW also to my cats in a mix (to make it last longer) I get a 15lb bag of TOTW and an 18 lbs bag of Purina Indoor and mix both bags together. All my cats have been happy healthy cats and Fatman has lost a little weight but the other two nincompoops have got opposite and started gaining weight, whether it be from food or their neuterings I dont know. But I cant have a completely Grain Free diet in my house because when I did Fatman got a UTI and I had to add the Purina back in. Since then he has been fine.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed it to Topaz, he LOVES IT! He gets a half Can of Wet food, and very little of the Dry of the TOTW..and he is full.. Not getting fat like every cat I had in the past on Grocery store foods.. And he is Active, His Poo isn't as stinky.. and his coat is beautiful!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also find that feeding grain free makes for a lot less poop in the litter box. With 5 cats, that's a huge help! (To me, that means they are USING the nutrition rather than just passing through empty calories.)

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea it is hard to tell if he is pooing less .. because my room mates cats eat Cheap Dry food..and now use the pan that is "His" lol They all share. So it isn't as easy to see if it is less. I am scooping a lot more out of his Daily then I used to.. I think the roomies cats like his more then theres LOL

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a TOTW feeder too, but I just switched my 2 cats over to it (after a slow transition over 4 weeks). I have tried other grain frees, but the protien was so high (50%) and it was just too rich for them. The TOTW is a little lower at 43%, so hopefully they do well on it.

We're on the 4th day where they have been 100% TOTW, and maybe they need a few weeks of adjusting, but their poop smells more than it used to and it's a little soft. But I'm hoping this is just temporary. They really love the food, so I hope I can keep them on it. You can't beat the price for a grain free food such as this.