tassee killed a bird yesterday

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this isn't the first time shes done that the first she put it right in my bed and yesterday she droped it right at my feet what does it mean when she does it what shouild I do she really wanted to tear it

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
this isn't the first time shes done that the first she put it right in my bed and yesterday she droped it right at my feet what does it mean when she does it what shouild I do she really wanted to tear it

This is a gift from her to you- she loves you. However, birds are falling prey to cats at a fairly quick rate, so please try to watch her around birds.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to make this a bit better, MOST birds that fall prey to cats are elderly or infirm. Young, healthy birds rarely do. However, do watch her. I watch our neighborhood cats a lot. A few days ago, before this endless rain started, I watch one trying to stalk a robin. The cat would creep-creep-creep, and the bird would hop-hop-hop, always maintaining a safe distance. It almost looked as if the bird was playing with the cat!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It means that you may regret having a cat door. This is something that most indoor/outdoor cats do. And this is the prime time of the year for it, with more animals, and more baby animals, out and about. If you are very unlucky, the cat may bring in one that is partially or significantly eaten, headless, or even somewhat decomposed. Regardless of how you feel about the circle of life or dead animals, it is just not a happy thing to have them brought into your house, but there isn't much you can do about it if you are allowing the cat outside.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat brings you a fresh kill it is because she thinks of you as part of her clan and is providing for you in the way that cats care for members of the family... by bringing food.

When she brings it into the bedroom it is because she thinks of the bed as the family den, the most important place in the house.

I often hesitate to say that animals can feel love the way humans do but I like to think it is, at least, partially true. I am sure that cats hold their humans in high regard.

I would say that, when a cat brings food into the family den, the most important place in the house, they do so in regard to their human.

Even if cats don't feel love like humans do, this behavior is about as close as it gets.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely a present from your cat to show how much you are held in esteem. Years ago the cats I had used to bring in skinned lizards and put them on the keyboard of my desktop. Well, to them it seemed an important room in the house (to me) and they seemed to think that skinned would be easier for me to handle. All of my personal cats are indoor only, but I do discourage the TNRed ferals from hunting but once in a while they are successful.

I am a "circle of life/it is the way of things" kinda gal, but I also believe in not allowing cats to seriously impact other populations, especially if the cat has the potential to be an indoor pet.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to make this a bit better, MOST birds that fall prey to cats are elderly or infirm. Young, healthy birds rarely do. However, do watch her. I watch our neighborhood cats a lot. A few days ago, before this endless rain started, I watch one trying to stalk a robin. The cat would creep-creep-creep, and the bird would hop-hop-hop, always maintaining a safe distance. It almost looked as if the bird was playing with the cat!
This is true, most times a Cat kills a Bird it's because the Bird was sick, injured, or otherwise in bad shape. It's rare (but certainly not impossible) for a Cat to catch and kill a healthy bird, they normally hunt ground dwelling prey like rodents and reptiles.

But yes, her bringing you dead animals is a sign of respect and/or love. Anyone with indoor/outdoor Cats is going to have that happen from time to time, the only way to get it to stop is keep her inside.