Tarter build up?

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the vet with our 6 year old male short hair. He had his vaccinations brought up to date, and he had a clean bill of health, except that the vet recommended a tooth cleaning because his gums were starting to become slightly inflamed.

The situation did not seem very dire because they said it would be fine to wait a month or longer to get him in for a cleaning, but, the problem is that we don't have the money right now for it...they quoted just under $200, but my hours at work were cut due to business decline, and we are barely affording rent right now.

Is there anything I can do in the mean time until we can get him in for a cleaning? I know there are some cat foods and treats out there that advertise that they cut down on tartar build up, but I don't know if they work...I asked the vet if there is anything I could do until we could bring him back in, they said I could try to brush his teeth if he would let me, but they said it wouldn't help much. I also have to be careful with what I feed him, he has a weak stomach and many foods to not agree with him.

Thank you in advance for the help!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using an enzymatic paste made for cats will actually help quite a bit at preventing any more tartar build up, while you save for the dental cleaning.

I use c.e.t. paste made by virbac.

Mazy, age 6, just had a check up and her teeth are very clean, no tartar at all.

Tolly, age 11, is prone to tartar and FORL, and has had quite a few cleanings (and extractions) but since starting the c.e.t. 2 years ago he has not yet needed another.

Now, I know dental health is largely genetic, but the enzymatic paste DOES make a difference.

Below is the method I used to train my cats to accept tooth brushing.

I started by just getting them used to me rubbing my finger lightly along their lip line, either side. Most cats like this any way. (if you are planning to use a brush, you might start this with the brush. I have always just used my finger)

While doing this, I was putting the c.e.t. toothpaste on a paw for them to lick off, and get used to the taste. (they actually like it!)

This helps them associate the finger (or brush) rubbing along the mouth with the taste of the c.e.t.

Then, I started making the action more purposeful, putting them in the "holding position", which is: me on my knees, feet crossed behind me, cat between my knees facing out.

Using a little more pressure which parts the lips, I'd be rubbing their teeth and gums instead of the lips, while they get used to me restraining them while doing it. After the action, again, putting a little paste on the paw.

So now they are associating the action with the taste of the c.e.t.

From there, I put the c.e.t. toothpaste on my finger, hold them in position, and rub it into their teeth and gums.

This was a bit messy, so lately I've learned to use my other hand to kind of pry open the lips so I can make direct contact with the molars and gumline.

All this took time of course, but cats can get used to any sort of handling if it's done gradually and gently enough.

Oh,I forgot to mention..I always wash my hands before starting and between each cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS gum disease leads to other illnesses such as kidney disease and heart problems, so of course you don't want to put it off for too long. But using the c.e.t. for a few months while you save for the dental should be okay.

Be sure you are feeding a high quality diet, too.

by the way for general info: do not use human toothpaste on cats. most pastes you buy in the pet aisle at the supermarket or at the pet store are useless. It has to be an enzymatic toothpaste to do any good. Enzymatic means it breaks down bacteria.

Just getting in in his mouth is good, Making contact with teeth and gum is better, of course.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Otto has some great tips on brushing teeth. Brushing teeth is always a great way to help with tartar build up. Unfortunately my Chester Cheetah won't sit still long enough for me to brush his teeth.
His teeth are luckily not bad. I just feed him his Nutro, which has a larger kibble and Greenies twice a day. The Greenies are a newer addition over that last couple of years or so. He never really liked crunchy treats before, but he seems to love the Greenies. That surprised the heck out of me! He has never had to have his teeth cleaned and he is 11 1/2 years old. Now I do attribute a lot of that to him having genetically good teeth but I do also think his food and Greenies treats have been helpful.

See if your vet takes something like Care Credit. It is a credit card type payment you could use if you are approved just for yours cats vet visits. A lot of vets I have worked for or been to accept it. That may help you get him in sooner if you get approved. I put a link below to the website.

http://www.carecredit.com/

I hope all goes well for his future cleaning and he lets you brush his teeth.