LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Could be worth a try. I wonder whether it will be available in Australia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot about this :doh: The new Target brand pet food line is now available.

A sampling of the food:

Chicken recipe for indoor cats (canned): chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, ground flaxseed, powdered cellulose, natural flavor, barley, pea protein, brown rice flour, dried plain beet pulp, guar gum, brewers dried yeast, inulin, cassia gum, xanthan gum, potassium chloride, minerals (iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide), vitamins (vitamin e supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin a supplement, biotin, vitamin d3 supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, folic acid), salt, blueberries, cranberries, choline chloride, taurine, yucca schigidera extract, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source ascorbic acid) l-carnitine.

Chicken and Brown Rice dry for cats: chicken, chicken meal (source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), brown rice, oatmeal, pea protein, turkey meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, dried egg product, suncured alfalfa meal, natural flavor, flaxseeds, fish oil, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, taurine, potassium chloride, citric acid (preservative), mixed tocopherols (preservative), iron amino acid complex, zinc amino acid complex, ferrous sulfate, vitamin e supplement, niacin supplement, zinc oxide, copper amino acid complex, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, manganese amino acid complex, vitamin a supplement, thiamine mononitrate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, vitamin b12 supplement, vitamin d3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, rosemary extract.

Beef Bone Broth Stew meal topper: beef bone broth (source of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate), beef, chicken liver, dried egg white, potato starch, dried egg product, guar gum, natural flavor, salt, sodium carbonate.

I guess I would call this an ok food. Some people may have issues with the brown rice and grains and gums.

The pate only canned cat foods only come in a 3 oz size and cost $0.89. The meal toppers are 3 oz and cost $1.99. Dry cat food comes in 3 lbs ($6.99) and 7 l bs ($13.99). Prices may vary by store / location.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw this at target today and picked up a few cans. My lovely gray cat Atticus devoured it but he's not picky at all. I was wondering what the folks here would think of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saw this at target today and picked up a few cans. My lovely gray cat Atticus devoured it but he's not picky at all. I was wondering what the folks here would think of it.
I started a thread in Nutrition for people to post their thoughts and comments about the food :) Reviews of the dog food and treats and general discussion of the brand can be posted here.

Last edited:

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started a thread in Nutrition for people to post their thoughts and comments about the food :) Reviews of the dog food and treats and general discussion of the brand can be posted here.
Hi! I was wondering if you could direct me to that thread? I recently bought a few cans of the kitten food of this brand, and wanted to see other people's reviews! Thank you 😊

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken recipe for indoor cats (canned): chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, ground flaxseed, powdered cellulose, natural flavor, barley, pea protein, brown rice flour, dried plain beet pulp, guar gum, brewers dried yeast, inulin, cassia gum, xanthan gum, potassium chloride, minerals (iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide), vitamins (vitamin e supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin a supplement, biotin, vitamin d3 supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, folic acid), salt, blueberries, cranberries, choline chloride, taurine, yucca schigidera extract, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source ascorbic acid) l-carnitine.

I highlighted what I consider questionable ingredients. I'm not even looking at the dry food because I expect a bunch of nonsense out of dry food.

flaxseed : wrong form of omega-3's. Cats need them from animal sources. They lack the enzymes (or sufficient amounts of those enzymes) to convert them from the plant-based forms into what their bodies need. I would prefer fish oil over flaxseeds for cats every time.

powdered cellulose : aka wood shavings, a cheap fiber source. just use psyllium.

natural flavor : can be absolutely anything as long as it started its journey from a natural source (could be an allergen or irritant)

barley, brown rice flour : inappropriate cheap fillers

pea protein : cheap filler and can be an allergen or irritant

beet pulp : this may be benign. but I also expect some dark stools from this food because of this.

xanthan gum : as if guar gum (benign to beneficial as a prebiotic) and cassia gum (impact unknown as it's always included with other gums) wasn't enough... xanthan gum can cause loose stools

blueberries, cranberries : cats eat animals, not berries. I'm not at all certain there is anything beneficial here for cats. They don't have the same enzymes for assimilating nutrients from plant sources like dogs and humans. These could be nothing or they could be irritants. I have certainly cleaned enough cranberry barf to never want to feed Instinct again.

This isn't the worst food I've seen. But I'd still feed Fancy Feast or Sheba over this.

Last edited: