Tapeworm infestation. Please Help

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is an year old. She is having diarrhea since 3 days and not eating. Her diarrhea is watery contains mucus and blood in it. Her mother has parasites and it passed it to her. I dewormed her 4 months ago. Now she is a having severe diarrhea. My vet is giving treatment for diarrhea currently but it's been 3 days. She is still having diarrhea and didn't eat anything. I am giving her only fluids currently. Is it safe to deworm her now? I am going to the vet in the afternoon and will ask him. Any advice is appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the diarrhea is a result of the tapeworms, then deworming would be the best thing to do. Severe infestation can cause diarrhea and even vomiting, so it might also be why your cat is not wanting to eat. You probably also need to treat your cat with a flea treatment ongoingly to help ward off future tapeworm infections, as most tapeworms are the result of your cat ingesting fleas (could be mosquitoes too, as that happened to my cat years ago).

Will the vet check your cat's feces to see if there is anything else going on? Perhaps, looking for bacterial and/or viral issues? That normally requires a fecal PCR test, and I don't know how prevalent that is in your country. If you are not taking your cat with you to the vet, you can bag a sample of her feces and just keep it refrigerated until you head to the vets. They can do pretty much any kind of testing from a fecal sample.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the diarrhea is a result of the tapeworms, then deworming would be the best thing to do. Severe infestation can cause diarrhea and even vomiting, so it might also be why your cat is not wanting to eat. You probably also need to treat your cat with a flea treatment ongoingly to help ward off future tapeworm infections, as most tapeworms are the result of your cat ingesting fleas (could be mosquitoes too, as that happened to my cat years ago).

Will the vet check your cat's feces to see if there is anything else going on? Perhaps, looking for bacterial and/or viral issues? That normally requires a fecal PCR test, and I don't know how prevalent that is in your country. If you are not taking your cat with you to the vet, you can bag a sample of her feces and just keep it refrigerated until you head to the vets. They can do pretty much any kind of testing from a fecal sample.
Her kittens are also having the same problem now. Those three are together before she started showing the symptoms.
It has to be some virus. Some intestinal virus. Can you tell me which virus this can be? Her stool is very watery with some blood.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have any of these cats been tested, and/or vaccinated, for any of the common viruses? Here is an article (see link below) that discusses each in case you would find it helpful to you. I do want to note to you that the second one listed (FCoV) is very common in cats, with no outward repercussions, and does not necessarily have to mutate to the deadly FIP - so, please remember that when you are reading.

Diarrhea is common with a few of these viruses, but there are so many other ailments that involve diarrhea, that there is no way to use that to specifically pinpoint a particular virus. Watery stools with some blood can also be associated with parasites - or even food allergies.

I would work on the parasite aspect first, especially since you know your one-year-old has them - as they, among other parasites, can easily be transmitted from one cat to another. Because there are other worms that might be involved, a broad-spectrum de-wormer might be your best bet. Drontal (brand name here), which contains Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate, will treat a host of parasites. It can be given to cats and kittens that are over 1.5 pounds and at least 1 month old. The dose varies by weight, so there is a different amount that would be given to the kittens vs your one-year-old. I can tell you how much is standard here if you need to know that.

The big thing is to keep them hydrated and offer foods - of any kind - in any manner you can.
Most Common Viruses In Cats | BASEPAWS | Signs & Vaccines

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have any of these cats been tested, and/or vaccinated, for any of the common viruses? Here is an article (see link below) that discusses each in case you would find it helpful to you. I do want to note to you that the second one listed (FCoV) is very common in cats, with no outward repercussions, and does not necessarily have to mutate to the deadly FIP - so, please remember that when you are reading.

Diarrhea is common with a few of these viruses, but there are so many other ailments that involve diarrhea, that there is no way to use that to specifically pinpoint a particular virus. Watery stools with some blood can also be associated with parasites - or even food allergies.

I would work on the parasite aspect first, especially since you know your one-year-old has them - as they, among other parasites, can easily be transmitted from one cat to another. Because there are other worms that might be involved, a broad-spectrum de-wormer might be your best bet. Drontal (brand name here), which contains Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate, will treat a host of parasites. It can be given to cats and kittens that are over 1.5 pounds and at least 1 month old. The dose varies by weight, so there is a different amount that would be given to the kittens vs your one-year-old. I can tell you how much is standard here if you need to know that.

The big thing is to keep them hydrated and offer foods - of any kind - in any manner you can.
Most Common Viruses In Cats | BASEPAWS | Signs & Vaccines
Suddenly everyone is having the same problem. Why would parasites make everyonesick at the same time. And also they were dewormed once. But never vaccinated. Please stay with me.. I am very scared.
What kind of intestinal viruses are there?
Symptoms are watery stools with blood and mucus, little fever, weakness, not interested in eating or drinking, vomiting ( gave kmr to the kittens..he vomited it)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most parasites are contagious or easily transmitted, that is why all of them could be affected. With multiple cats it is nearly impossible to stop the spread if they share anything - bowls, litter boxes, even space/beds/towels/etc. The problem with deworming is that it is not just a onetime treatment. If there is a source for the parasites, such as outdoors, cats can get them over and over again. That is why I mentioned topical treatments that can help to stop most parasites from happening over and over. In the case of tapeworm, if they are caused by fleas, then treating the fleas helps to reduce the opportunity for tapeworms. Even without a topical treatment, cats can receive routine de-wormers to kill parasites. For Drontal, I think the standard is every 3 months, but there are times when additional treatment is needed in between. So, on that basis, deworming your one-yo again is probably more than appropriate.

I gave you a link above that talks about the different viruses, I can't offer anything more specific because I don't have the kind of education or training to be able to do that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I am so sorry. You have done a lot for many. You still feed fish? If so, is it cooked? It can have parasites. Cooking the fish (with no spice at all) would help. I am not a vet but I know Praziquantel can be found in many places and has helped with tapeworms. Could the kittens have Coccidia? That is another thing often seen , especially in cat colonies. It can spread easily and can cause similar symptoms. Perhaps this may be helpful to know? Have you seen any rice like granules in the kitten stool or seen segments of worms anywhere around where they go to the bathroom? Those can contain worm eggs so dispose of those where no kitty can be near. Clean as best you can where they sleep, eat and go to the bathroom. Our hopes are with you, always.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello. I am so sorry. You have done a lot for many. You still feed fish? If so, is it cooked? It can have parasites. Cooking the fish (with no spice at all) would help. I am not a vet but I know Praziquantel can be found in many places and has helped with tapeworms. Could the kittens have Coccidia? That is another thing often seen , especially in cat colonies. It can spread easily and can cause similar symptoms. Perhaps this may be helpful to know? Have you seen any rice like granules in the kitten stool or seen segments of worms anywhere around where they go to the bathroom? Those can contain worm eggs so dispose of those where no kitty can be near. Clean as best you can where they sleep, eat and go to the bathroom. Our hopes are with you, always.
Now they eat only dry and wet food. I m not feeding them fish anymore.
They play with cockroaches.. as you said this can be coccidia also. I have collected the stool sample. I will give it in the morning.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please update us as you learn more.
It is viral infection... Her stool report came negative for parasites. They are currently taking treatment for viral infection. All the animals in the hospital are having the same problem... Bloody diarrhea and vomitings.
I do not send my cats outside.. but brought new cats into the house.. They got it from them. I should hv arranged everything for them outside and treated them. It is completely my mistake my babies suffered because of me.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We cannot know everything. We all learn as we go. I don’t know how long your kitties have lived inside but a cat can carry a virus and not show signs. Perhaps even carry it from birth. It’s good that you know now what is wrong and can give treatment. Please keep us updated. Sending much hope for quick healing.