Taming Feral Litter

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been a while since I've had an active colony, and I've never really tried to tame properly feral kittens. Molly's last litter might technically have counted, but since we started gently handling them before their eyes even opened, I can't really apply much of the work I did with them to the current litter I'm working with.

Mama cat has basically tamed already. She (sometimes) comes when called, lets me pet her, purrs when picked up, and is basically acting like a pet cat at this point. The kittens on the other hand....well...let's say gloves were a very, very good investment. They are still so small they can slip through the 2 inch holes in the catio wire, and were showing no signs of taming down as I tried to tempt them with food while they were still able to escape. While I have spent many hours quietly sitting in the catio with food out, often petting mama, the kittens dart under the catio at first sign of humans, and will stay under there until humans go away, even with mama calling for them. I've not managed to stay out there for more than four hours in a row, but I feel safe calling these VERY skittish kittens!

It has been getting dangerously hot, so I finally decided to stop waiting and start catching. Three of the five kittens are currently in a large crate with food, water, litter and a box to hide in. I should be able to catch the last two in the next couple of days. I've been seeing a lot of conflicting advice for how to tame a full litter of kittens. A number of suggestions have been to separate the kittens so they are all in their own crate/cage/kennel, so they bond with people faster. As close as the kittens seem, this feels....mean? They like to huddle together in a multicolored ball of fluff most days, and cry for hours if separated. I also don't really have the funds to buy five separate crates and the accessories needed. They are about 7-8 weeks old, and don't seem to be anywhere near two pounds yet, despite unlimited access to kitten food that they eat ravenously.

Today I left a guided meditation for insomniacs running while I left for work, with a soothing female voice talking and quiet, relaxing music. The crate is visible from my living room, and partially covered with a sheet to let them feel less exposed. I sit in the living room part of the day, talking soothingly to them when they squeak, and have had several sessions of petting and giving treats to mama just outside the crate. If I can tame them down, I have potential homes already lined up for most of them after I get them fixed, but I don't feel comfortable trying to home them while they are this feral. Any suggestions/advice?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome back! Since you already know what a great place this site and four are - - I'm sure you know already that soon you'll likely have others weighing in!

I'll get to the fluffball babies in just a sec. You're right - - Mama already sounds like she's doesn't act feral. I'm guessing she was originally? Or was she a stray who wandered into your space? Just curious - since she sounds pretty comfy with you! Was she friendly with you before she gave birth? It sounds like you've dealt with a colony before (so if I ask a question that you've already answered in other threads - just trying to catch up on what you know!) - - I'd grab Mama and get her spayed ASAP. She's likely to go into heat at any moment if she's not already (and before you know you'll have twice as many kittens to worry about!). Sounds like maybe you wouldn't even have to trap her (although around here, if money's an issue, feral (or semi-feral) kitties that you want spayed/neutered must come into the clinics in a trap, be ear-tipped, and leave in a trap). So I know you have your hands plenty full with the little ones - - but I'd definitely make Mama a real priority and get here asap (if you do need to trap her, you can likely use the last two babies to catch her asap - - - but sounds like she may not need to be actually trapped).

Are the ones you have inside already completely weaned and eating food on their own without any issues? Are the babies on dry or canned kitten food - or a combo? At that age - they can just be ravenous little beings - and it's likely they (even if they were eating hard or canned kitten food while outside) were still being supplemented by mom's high-calorie breast milk. The two that are still outside - - is Mama still coming to take care of them and feed them, or are you putting food and water out for them (or both)? If the ones you have inside are eating ravenously ---- just offer them more. It's pretty impossible to overfeed kittens that age. Now there is a difference between ravenously because they're still HUNGRY - - and ravenous because they're from a decently large litter and know "he who eats fastest doesn't get left hungry." If after they eat, they play some and then sleep - - they may be plenty full. If they eat and then still root around like they're starved -- - I'd put more out. Again - - it's hard to overfeed at this stage.

Sounds like you're doing SO much right with your little ones :) . Or at least the way I do things - - although everyone comes at it slightly differently, usually based on what has worked for them in the past. So I completely get reading one thing one place - - then an entirely contradictory suggestion in another respected place. Hopefully between us all - - we can help!

Do you have any cats yourself at home? If so - they could be reacting in fear to that. If not, are they in a room where a door can be closed at any time? Sometimes just making the world (room) outside look less scary and huge helps (the sheet is a BIG help - glad to hear you're already doing that).

I've worked with many MANY litters of ferals and kittens who've had virtually no socialization. I know many people believe separating them is needed - - -or at the very least, makes socialization go faster. I, however, just can't do that - - I think being around their siblings often helps - - as you'll usually have one or two who are bolder and catch on to "humans ain't half bad" which in turn teaches the others that.

Start small in how you engage with them. Lie on the floor near them - - and talk to them. I read aloud often to hours -- magazines, work, etc. - anything that gets them used to the sound of my voice. I also never enter where the kittens are without quietly "announcing" myself so that they're not startles - I start talking softly in a high sing-song voice about just dopey stuff..."Going to see the babies today...bringing treats and love..." (not top 40 stuff - - feel free to come up with your own lyrics and tune :)). The main thing is to get them used to me being there - - - bc even if Mama trusted you, she VERY likely trained them from day one that humans (and everything else!) consider them prey -- - and that being angry and hissing and retreating is what would keep them alive. So you have to convince them - - - slooooooowly - that you're there not to harm them, and that you may even have yummy stuff!

Have you ever used 'kitty crack" (obviously not real crack - - - but called that b/c most kitties go crazy for it)? It's technically "Gerber 2nd Foods Meats, Chicken & Chicken Gravy" - it's a baby food in a glass jar (found in baby food aisle - not pet section, obviously). This seems to universally drive kitties long and old pretty crazy (in a good way!) - but if you get any other brand note that it can NOT have onions in it. We offer it by verrrryyyy long spoon - - - like a long teaspoon or even a telescoping spoon (they have them on amazon) - - -- some people even use a backscratcher! First I warm it VERY slightly, and then I put a little of the baby food on the end of the spoon, lie down flat on the floor so I'm as unthreatening as possible, and reach out slowly, offering the spoon filled with the kitty crack slowly. I keep talking the whole time -- -quietly and gently - - - and usually desire for this yummy delicacy (which smells to high heaven!) wins over worry about the person (me) behind the tool. And if the "kitty crack" doesn't work - - you can try other things - -but I'd try the kitty crack first. I have about a 95% success rate with it!

I have lots of other tips - - and I'm always happy to share. But start with the slow and soft (followed by lots of kitty crack bribing!), and we'll move on from there!

And lastly (so sorry so long - - I'm rotten about keeping it short - so sorry!) - - how fantastic you've got people interested in them! But I honestly wouldn't let them come meet them yet for two reasons - - -they're still relatively fragile, both mentally and disease-wise. Scaring them more now with new people will just slow the socialization - - -and will likely scare potential adopters who don't understand how far these kittens will likely come, given time! They'll see fluff balls and then not understand why they're defensive fluff balls!

Keep us posted (and ALWAYS love fluff ball pics!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whoops, I see I should have taken a moment to give more info! Mama cat is in no danger of getting knocked up again. I have trapped her in a large catio, and I enter and exit through a low house window, so she can't door dart to escape. The kittens can come and go freely, as they are small enough to pass through the two inch holes in the wire. I do plan to fix her, I was holding off to save up and also to avoid interrupting nursing after she was trapped in the catio and I wasn't as worried about her getting pregnant again. Once I've caught the last two kittens, I plan to wait a few more days for her milk to dry up a bit, then take her in and get her fixed.

Mama started out hissing, growling, and hiding. But she was pretty quick to tame, she may be an abandoned cat, rather than a true feral.

I do have a fixed indoor cat, but I've been keeping Molly away from Mama to prevent the potential for fights. Molly has been chirping and calling to the kittens through doors/windows though, which is honestly adorable. I've let mama loose in the house a few times while Molly was closed in my room, and mama and Molly both sniff around where the other has been with question mark tails, which I find promising as I plan to keep mama as a companion for Molly.

The kittens ALWAYS have access to food, I never let it run out. Two cups of food out is an "empty" bowl to me with kittens around. Kibble is present all the time, and wet food whenever I have been outside trying to tempt them. I give the inside trapped ones wet several times a day, in addition to always having dry out. Mama has been hiding up high and walking away from nursing kittens the past week or two, and I've seen all five eat both dry and wet food.

I've been petting and feeding mama outside the crate, and offering straight chicken baby food on a spoon to the kittens at the same time, but the kittens are still to wary to respond. I get it, I'm big enough to eat them after all. Black kitten with the white star has started being willing to look at me, but won't go near offered food on a spoon or other treats. I will have to try the chicken and gravy variety, maybe that will work better! And the longer spoon.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are these kittens? It sounds like you're doing everything right. How long have they been in your (confined) care?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What - you didn't find every bit of my "tome" riveting? ;) You gave plenty of info - - it's hard - no, impossible - to cover everything anyone might ask. And I didn't want you to feel like I was asking things that were too basic - - you've obviously been around the feral/stray block before. :)

I LOVE that you're even going to keep Mama! Again - you probably know this - - but as tempting as it is to let them get near each other (it sounds like they'll do amazingly well together!) - until she's tested and given vaccines, even though it's rough, I wouldn't let them be able to get nose-to-nose. It's too big a risk at this point. It sounds like you're not letting them get that close - - -but just felt like I should say it just in case (I'm amazed sometimes at myself - after fostering over 100 cats and tons of TNR and socialization, how often I find myself saying "oh - - maybe they can play together for just a minute...." I always tell my husband he has to be my voice of reason and remind me to not break my own "no test - no touch" rule!

Mama does sound abandoned or dumped - - she came around waaaay too quickly to be truly feral (at least when she met you). She sounds like a sweetie! And I envy you like CRAZY for having a catio!!!!!!!! And it sounds like a good plan on her-- I'd still get her spayed asap (since lord knows, where there's a will there's a way when it comes to cats mating!), but I completely understand waiting for the milk to dry up at this point (shouldn't be long!) and especially for financial reasons. Right there with you! Luckily we had neighbors who, when asked, were able to contribute financially since we were doing al the dirty work of trapping.

I missed something I think - - is mama ever in the crate with them? Or is she out in the catio only with the two non-caught ones? Sorry I'm so confused. I'm guessing it's a big crate - - like a wire dog crate? That's what I often use also to start newbies in. We foster/socialize in a very large spare bedroom - - so once we can let them out, we then put up plywood panels to make the room alot smaller so that contact is a bit more forced....and start pushing the panels back to add more room, until we eventually have the whole room open so they can enjoy the window, etc. Lots of folks here do it differently - that's what works for me - - and (knock on wood) it's been relatively fool-proof!

Them seeing you with positive Mama interaction is great! And glad to hear the food's out all of the time - and that they get wet too. Kittens just need SO much food!

I think the big thing I'd focus on for now is making sure they know every time you come in the room with them - - something good happens. I really do the sing song thing. Talking high and soft does make a huge difference in most feral kitten's - and cat's - fear level, as does being above them. They really do immediately go into flight or fright mode when something/someone's above them - - since it truly is what helped keep them alive this long. So I get as low as possible as quickly as possible when I socialize. I take my laptop, work materials, and reading materials into their room (I'm a graphic designer that works from home) and spend hours lying down while working/ reading/watching tv with them. And I really do talk softly to them non-stop (I've sent more kittens into the world with way too much knowledge of celebrity news from USA Today and graphic design issues :p). Eventually you really do become just part of the room's atmosphere - - and then you move up the rung to "tasty treat bringer" and then to "tasty treat bringer and wonderful play partner"...hopefully winding up at "tasty treat bringer, wonderful play partner, and great person to sleep on."

And yes - -definitely try this specific baby food in this specific flavor (the actual name is "Gerber 2nd Foods Chicken and Gravy" - - Beechnut has a virtually identical flavor, but I've yet to have a kitten express any interest?!?!). I put a pic below. Feeding while you're lying on the floor - from a very long spoon (I used to use a teaspoon taped to a skewer - but now I use a cheap telescoping spoon I found on Amazon) for me it makes a HURGE difference! They associate you with the food - - but aren't scared by you being close. I just slowly then keep shortening the spoon - and before you know it, they're licking it off your finger!

You're doing SO much right - - the first of which is caring so much. :hearthrob: DO keep us posted (and definitely pics - - love pics of mama and babies) - - on both the ones you've caught AND how catching the last few goes!

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Actually, let me grab my camera....I'll edit in pics once I'm done typing. I don't mind tomes, I usually end up having to hold myself back from making everything I type a tl;dr novel. And yes, NO contact until mama has had tests and shots. Everything is through solid doors or closed windows.

Mama is very tame at this point, I'm pretty sure she was either VERY VERY HUNGRY and ready to trust ANY source of food out of sheer desperation, or more likely, someone's kitten that was abandoned once she was a cat. She seems pretty young, this might have been her first litter if her gangly build is youth and not just her build and nursing five kittens.

On Monday, mama was panting open-mouthed in the heat, and I decided that I couldn't leave her outside. I set up the spare bathroom for her, closed Molly in my bedroom, went out, scooped her up, and brought her into the bathroom where I sat with her for a while. She perked up about fifteen minutes later, and then got VERY distressed about not having her kittens around. I was able to sooth her a bit, but she was clearly very worried and was working herself up.

After about 45 minutes in the cool, and after she'd had food and water, I brought her back outside and let her have about 30 minutes chirping to the kittens, who didn't want to come out of their dark and 20 degree cooler hiding place. She started panting again, so I brought her back in to cool down. Repeat a few times, and she actually started purring when I picked her up to take in or out! When the temp dropped after sunset, I let her stay out overnight.

Next day was even hotter, but I couldn't stay home to let her in and out, and I decided it was too hot to stay out no matter how distressed she was away from her kittens, so I left her in the bathroom from 11ish until dusk. I decided to catch the kittens and keep them with mama, even if their hiding space is cooler. It's still pretty hot, and if the kittens were inside they'd be more accessible to socialize, mama would be calmer, and it would most likely be an all around improvement.

Wednesday I caught the black kitten with the white chest star, and let them go in the bathroom with mama. Kitten promptly vanished, and was dubbed Houdini. (Turns out the easy clean smooth sides of the toilet base do not in fact connect in the back like I thought, there is a hiding space there large enough for two beach towels and six hand towels between the piping and the porcelain surround. Live and learn....). Thursday evening I caught two more kittens, but one escaped into the house. I left out food and water and litter, and kept Molly locked in my room.

I let mama roam the house in hopes that she'd convince escapee to come out, but no dice after an hour or so, so I put her back in the bathroom with the other two kittens. (Mama and two kittens in the bathroom, one kitten loose in house, two kittens outside, Molly locked in my room.)

It had cooled off a bit Friday, and the kittens outside were calling a lot, so I put mama back out in the catio that morning. I borrowed a large wire dog crate from a friend, and kitted it out for the kittens. With the help of two friends, I caught the bathroom kittens again, and transferred them to the crate. Houdini bites. The classic tabby was dubbed Purrito, because they went limp, if clearly terrified, when scruffed and wrapped, and then hid under the hand towel for over an hour before they moved when they were transferred. Mama was brought in after the transfer was complete and petted and given treats outside the crate before being put back outside.

Friday evening I managed to catch escapee and get them into the crate. She(?) bites, grinds, and jerks her head back and forth when a hand gets in range, btw. When gloves cause that to fail, she SCREAMS louder than I thought possible, and fights scruffing and towel wrapping, fortunately with limited success due to gloves and towel. But she ended up in the crate anyway. (I think I'm going to call her Ghost, as she's a soft grey, vanishes when given the chance, and is louder than a poltergeist.)

Mama had heard, even outside through the closed window. So I decided to let mama in and had a pet/treat session with mama right outside the crate, and let mama see the three kittens and the kittens see mama. If I backed up out of reach, Houdini and Purrito would come to the wire to sniff mama, but Ghost wouldn't leave the box I left in the crate for them to hide in. After an hour or two, I put mama back outside with the other two loose kittens for the night.

And now today, right after I got home, I managed to catch a fourth kitten! I'll call them Mackerel for now, as they are a mackerel tabby. There is one more grey kitten loose, and I have mama in the catio, Molly in my room, and four kittens in the crate.

So far the capture method has been peek into catio, see if kittens are out. If so, open window quickly, reach gloved hands down and catch kittens as they race to get into the hole right below the window. This is a somewhat risky operation, but gloves and a heavy long sleeve jacket do wonders. I picked up a couple cat traps on my way home from a colony caretaker, and plan to set those out in a little bit to catch the last kitten with a bit less risk. The tricky part is going to be getting them out of the trap and into the crate without getting bitten or clawed....I'm not actually sure how I'm going to do that, I usually just wear heavy clothes, keep away from the opening, and pray when I release a just-TNR'd cat from a trap, I usually don't try to get them into another container already partially filled with feral kittens...

Mama has mostly been in the bathroom when it is too hot outside, has been brought in for cuddle sessions outside the crate a couple times, and has otherwise been outside in the catio with the still free kittens. I've been splitting my not working time between hanging out with Molly in my bedroom to give the kittens a bit of a break from being scared of me, and hanging out on the couch across the room from them, calmly telling them "It's all right babies. I'm not going to eat you, I'm not scary. It's okay, yeah." and variations when they squeak or call for mama.

So...kittens have been captured for anywhere from 3 days to not caught yet. And Houdini, the first caught, is also the least scared seeming now. They don't run when I offer food-on-a-spoon, but they don't approach either. Purrito hides a lot, and Ghost hisses. Mackerel has only just stopped flinging themselves around the crate and yowling. Last kitten is still loose outside.

Last edited:

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caught the last kitten! I have dubbed the last grey Cloud. They're almost identical to Ghost, but have a sliiiightly rounder face, and they are much shyer. They also like to lay in the literbox.....:cringe:

For anyone curious, after kitten was in trap, I brought the trap to the bathroom in case they escaped, and put on my protective gear. Then I wrapped a flannel pillowcase around the trap opening, and opened the trap door. I tapped and wiggled the trap until kitten went into pillowcase, then scruffed kitten through pillowcase. At this point they were well wrapped and reasonably calm, so I carried them to the kennel, opened the door a crack, and tucked the bundle of kitten and pillowcase through it. I slowly tugged the pillowcase back out, with the door held only open enough for the case, and kitten came out and hid in the box in the kennel. No blood, no tears!

Mackerel wants to stay in the box, Cloud wants to lay in the litterbox, but Houdini, Purrito, and Ghost are being much more social! I had a nearly hour long pet session with mama after catching the last kitten, then held my curled fingers near the wire, well away from the kittens. All three eventually came over and sniffed me! ....Ghost also hissed first, which set off Cloud and Mackerel, but then sniffed me anyway and didn't take a swipe at me or anything.

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Treat time with mama!

Wet food? OMNOMNOM!

Mackerel moved, or all five would have been in this shot.

You can just barely see Mackerel in the box.

I was petting mama, and kittens seemed curious. They sniffed me!!!

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Taming the kittens is progressing! I have now petted all five kittens, without being bitten or clawed for it! The secret seems to be cracking open a can of wet food, popping that in the kennel, adding mama cat who promptly starts eating, and then petting the kittens as they go nuts over mama. By the time they realize I've been petting them, they're not as freaked out and seem to be more annoyed that it was me touching them than scared that it was me touching them.

I've also managed to pick up three of them, though only very briefly. I gently lifted them from the floor of the kennel to the top of the box, and made no attempt to remove them from the kennel or lift them very high. A friend who wants to adopt two of the kittens has also started coming over and helping socialize them. She's only been able to pet three of them with the mama trick, but she's planning on working on it again today.

Mama also now has a spay appointment. As of July 3, no more kittens for her! I'd have tried to get her in sooner, but that was the earliest the lowest cost clinic had, and with her locked up without access to toms, I figure it should be okay.