Taming feral cats

LDuncan33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi a friend has kept three feral cats after trapping and spay/neutering and is trying to tame them. How long is it appropriate to keep them in wire crates? These crates are big enough forthe cat to take several steps.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any more info about this? Are these cats at all friendly? Completely feral? Can they be handled? Siblings? They were somehow transitioned to wire crates from a trap or the vet?

If your friend had a room where they can be boarded, such as a bathroom, especially if they know each other, that would be a good start to adjust them to a new home. Wire crates are not going to be a good idea for very long.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would really like to give Rocky some supervised freedom to roam in a room where I spend a good part of my day.
  • This room has no hiding places, I would set out the large soft sided carrier for him in case he needed to get away.
  • It would only be when I’m in there and the resident cats would not / don’t have access to that area when I’m in it.
  • I don’t want to overwhelm him.
  • I also don’t want to create issues with resident cats because they do go down there at night and Im sure they will smell a new kitty in the house if he’s been wandering around my studio. So far they have been acting normal but they also don’t have access to that section of the basement where Rocky is currently residing.
  • I really want Rocky to have a place that he can call his own for the time being while he continues to recover and I don’t think the laundry room is it, it’s far too cramped and is in a area that has to be used on a regular basis. Not conducive for either myself or him.
  • He will remain in the dog crate till he’s done with his pain meds on Thursday but that’s been just 1 week in there and that’s acceptable, but after that, I’m still mulling that over......
I know it’s only been a few weeks......but
as always your feedback and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Letting a new kitty out for socializing out of a cage before releasing into a large area is helpful if you can do it. Short times out with you personally as the kitty learns to trust you. I advise this in case you have a need to handle the kitty. I always begin by reaching in to let the cat eat treats from my hand first. I try to work around to touching, petting fully , gaining trust and then to letting the cat just past the cage door to sit by me. I used a spot where furniture and a wall blocked the cat from dashing off. If needed, use something to form an unbreachable wall. Once a cat hides under something, it’s hard to get them back out. Small rooms are great but a washing machine or dryer holds hiding places in back. I find bathrooms are better. A cage will be okay if you work closely with the cat and give them lots of time with you so they socialize as soon as possible. Every cat goes at a different pace. Following certain procedures will make a difference. Things like laying on the floor with the cat to show you are not a threat. Do not look directly at the cat while working to gain trust. Leaving a shirt with your scent on it where the cat can become accustomed to you scent. (If introducing other cats, do it where the feral knows it is safe from attack. Do it very slowly.)
Always Let the cat approach you rather than pursuing the cat. Food is the best tool that I can suggest. A favorite food can bring a kitty closer to you.
Hand feeding can earn trust.
F2FD0CE8-2EDD-4E1F-9F47-498D016A826F.jpeg

Sitting on the floor and allowing the cat to approach you. Small rooms or an area blocked so the cat can’t escape into the rest of the house.
9E22A6D7-257C-4D52-B694-02406043C359.jpeg

Introductions should be done slowly and where each cat is safe until you know both accept each other. A partially covered cage can make the feral feel more secure. Baby gates can be stacked at bathroom doors too. Letting cats smell each other first and scent swapping helps.
B6F1EE17-57B2-4481-91AA-A421FE4AC207.jpeg

This male was in a separate room first. After his surgery he was in the cage and allowed to meet the residents very slowly.
He was eventually allowed out for visits while supervised. After he and the other cats seemed to accept each other, he was allowed out for longer and longer periods but still surpeevised. After all cats had been up close without issue, I slept in the room with them until I knew all was well. Sleeping in the room with a feral is a good bonding time. If you can do that before introducing to others it’s best. Using a carrier inside the cage is also a great tool. It’s a place for the feral to use as a safe haven. I keep carriers out for all my cats to use for naps, play and a safe place. That’s very helpful later during any vet visits, travel, evacuations or any time a cat may feel nervous.

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning I have been feeding a semi feral 8month old kitten since april he was shy at first but after a month of feeding him. he started showing affection by rubbing up against me and rolling around on his back for. I contact my local shelter Thomas j O'Conner animal control they have a TNR program so I trapped him they neutered him gave him his shot tested him for FIV he is negative. I trapped another one he got adopted they evaluate them to see if they are feral if so they get returned back. if they are found to be adoptable they find them homes. One of the ones I trapped got adopted. My little orange tab who is 8.5 months old the think he runs hot and cold one minute he wants attention the next he is hissing. So they sent him back to me to see if I wanted to work with him since I have other cats in the home and they think he was taken from his mother to soon and has not learned to be a cat. so I have taken him in to see if I can work with him. so my place is small one bedroom. so he is in my room with me he sleeps on my bed does not try to hide hissing is getting better he will sleep with me and he is laying on the floor near my desk as I wright this just sleeping. He has seen my other cats thru a baby gate some hissing from my male cat but mostly sniffing each other out. I know my place is not ideal but 8.5 months old this would be his first winter and I am worried he might not make it. If it does not work out I am prepared to make him a shelter. Any advise I can get would be helpful first TNR her is his picture.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds as if he is becoming socialized. In fact, if someone could work with him, maybe in a home with less animals or no other cat he sounds adoptable. If he sleeps on your bed and is not hissing as much, he is warming up to you definitely. Kittens who were not able to stay with their mother or litter long enough don't have the knowledge they need to be socialized with other cats. I know you asked about an outdoor shelter for him, but I am not sure that is really what he needs.

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know of anyone else who can take him in. I am hoping to work with him to get him to be adopted. I have 3 cats already. He is showing signs that he can be adopted. Which is my goal. My cats know he is there they have met on either side of a baby gate no charging the gate a lot of sniffing each other. I go at his pace he is cat friendly and wants to be out with my other cats. Shelter is if he is not adoptable. Any advice on helping him is appreciated

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kind of hoping my cats can teach him how to be a cat

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He did hide under my Bureau but as soon as I came in the bedroom and he heard me come in he came right out

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It still sounds to me as if he has potential to be adopted. If it comes to needing a physical shelter for him, if that is what you meant, it might help to start a new thread as there are people who have a lot of experience with that.

my2cats67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll talk shelter if he doesn't progress and if that's the case yeah I'll start another thread I know how to make an outdoor shelter thank you for your kind response