Tame Stray, 5 Kits- Racoon/ Heat Help!

Girltropix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful tame pregnant stray decided to live in my apartment garden patio. Built her a plywood birthing house with raised floor, double blind entry hall and hinged roof. Lined whole inside with foam carpet padding. She wanted to come inside to give birth but already has issues with my 2 indoor cats (rescues,) thru the glass door.

Had kittins in her house 2 weeks ago, did well with cold weather (raised floor air buffer.) But 3 nights ago a raccoon walked past my gate (ontario ontario california) I read that they kill kittins. My gate has hog wire so raccoon could climb over.

Theres a high speed street 30 yards from my patio. Today is first hot day. I have shade tarps over the box but theres no wind at all. Propped open the top to allow hot air to escape. With a minimum of 6 weeks before giving away I need options. No kill shelter said no. The public shelter is on contract to supply 17000 frozen dead cats per semester, to public high school biology labs here. 99% of cats taken there are dead within 24 hours. (A good idea gone very wrong) the cats my daughter's class cut up were beautiful young healthy house cats. (Not old sickly ferrel cats)
Im on ssi disability (under 1k a month) 6 cats need to get fixed. 2 kits are one sex 3 the other just dont know which is which.
How soon after birth does mom get fixed? Kitten age? Are there free vouchers? I can barely afford to supply her with can cat food.
I have a garage under my house but mom likes walking around outside. No accesso to outside once I put her in. She gets attention from neighbors. In garage will be by herself all the time. She will be unhappy.
What do i do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Girltropix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding .i live in ontario california. I
Hi!
I'll be danged, that's one I'd never thought of regarding problems for cats.

In any case, THANK YOU for doing this and for coming here!

If you provide your location (state, are you near a city) there are members who may be knowledgeable.

Maybe there's something in these links?

Alley Cat Resources

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Thank you
Hi!
I'll be danged, that's one I'd never thought of regarding problems for cats.

In any case, THANK YOU for doing this and for coming here!

If you provide your location (state, are you near a city) there are members who may be knowledgeable.

Maybe there's something in these links?

Alley Cat Resources

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS!! I was born at San Antonio Community Hospital!
Here is a link from SpayCalifornia but you can get a larger list county by county:
spay california spaycalifornia

Raccoons are HUGE, H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E., threat to baby animals. They dont kill and consume, they consume and the victim slowly dies during an excruciating process. Anything that you can do to prevent that is vital, even if it means isolation in the garage unless the neighbors can offer alternative refuge.
Thank you so much for caring for this kitty. Please keep us updated on the situation & we LOVE pictures here at TCS!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::camera::heartshape::cheerleader:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And although this is not intended for you specifically (surrender fees are, understandably, very high & out of our price range), others who read this post might find The Cat House On The Kings to be a possible solution for a cat whom they are trying to help - it's a beautiful sanctuary. Screenshot_20190317-151314_Chrome.jpg