Talking to the toy

golffox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat carries his furry toy from room to room, all the while yowling. Then he'll sit it down and look at it while crying. Anyone know the reason for this behavior, or is my guy having a gender identity crisis?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Max does this too! For him, I beleive it is "prey" and he is trying to tell us all what a good hunter he is!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Rosie does exactly the same and has done since she was about a year old and she's 3 now!!!. She cries out while she carries the toy downstairs, drops it at the bottom, then cries until i go and see what she's brought down, then i stroke her and tell her what a good girl she is!

I can't remember what i was told when i posted here about it?, but Rosie usually does it with a catnip filled sack with a bell on, and she's started doing it with a tartan mouse as well.

Heres a picture of her and her sack that she carried down and yelling at me to go and look

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chester does it too! I get such a kick out of him "talking" to his ball. I tell him if it starts to talk back we're in trouble!

catsrule

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LP
golffox said:
My male cat carries his furry toy from room to room, all the while yowling. Then he'll sit it down and look at it while crying. Anyone know the reason for this behavior, or is my guy having a gender identity crisis?[/QUOTE

It's not gender identity crisis, my best friend has a male cat who does the same thing, but he does it almost always when her husband leaves for work.He works at night so he is home during the day with the cat. I have a female cat who does the same thing also, usually when the house is very quiet ie. bedtime,when we're watching tv etc. I have never gotten an answer as to why they do this so if you guys find out something please let me know.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl used to do that when I had a foster mom and her kittens here....I think she was jealous so she started to carry a ball around and chirp like it was her baby. BTW...my cat is spayed.

Katie

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoenix does this too, with plastic milk-rings. I have to tell her how brave she was to kill that piece of plastic all by herself and pet her before she'll relax.

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RosieMac,
That is the cutest picture ever! I love your kitties black smudged noses. They are adorable. ADORABLE!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old girl Kuce does it too with her favorite toy as well. She'll drag it from room to room will talking to it until she gets an answer from someone. Perhaps its a hunter's instinct.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susan...the picture of Rosie meowing about her catnip bag is the cutest.

She always steals the show. You gotta love Rosie.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boycats do this, too. Also, Dusty is famous for her deep growling at the birdie as she carries her 'kill' around the house. Jessie just sits next to the birdie and cries pitifully.

I think that this is the cats' way of telling the other cats in the house (and us humans) that they just brought home dinner!!! Or so, they think they just did...