Talking Cats

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
One of our cats, Gezer, is quite a speech maker

Sometimes, he just wanders around the house talking to himself for several minutes. When he does he always sound very opinionated, like he's making a serious speech about something.

Do your cats talk alot?

kezzer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten walks around the house talking, except he always sounds like he's lost and looking for someone. Gezer sounds like he's quite a silly kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes, he is the silliest and sweetest cat I know! It's a shame that he's so timid though. People usually take to him right away but he hides under the table...

marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats; sisters. One can be quite vocal at times whilst the other one just sits there and smiles.

Georgia (the vocal one) will have a conversation with you. She'll come running in meowing along the way. So I meow back and thus the chat begins. It can go on for atleast 5 minutes and although I don't know what we are talking about, it's ever so fun

beetle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Talkers? Have I got talkers! My two, Simon and Johnny, hate to see me sleep :I know they are naturally nocturnal (as much as you can be when you sleep 16 hours each day!
! ) but at about 4am , invariably, one or the other (usually Johnny) will start getting bored, and will just let 'er rip! He sits in my room and meows until we get up. Usually I'll make sure he has food and water in his bowl, and close the bedroom door, with him on the outside! He still cries until we get up!

I think he is just bored. If I find I can't ignore it any longer (say after an hour?), then I get up and wrestle with him for a bit. That tires him out a bit, so that I can get more sleep if it isn't time to head to work!

l_elyse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question for someone - my cat will talk quite a bit to me and that is normal I think. Lately though she has started meowing but now the tone is much deeper and the meows last much longer. It almost sounds like she is in pain and yet she remailns very active, is eating and drinking normally and has no other unusual symptoms. She seems pain-free and content at all other times. I have noticed this strange meow mostly after she eats and at night (it is very loud and annoying!! Can't sleep...) Is this a normal social behavior or should I be concerned?

I recently (about a month ago) had her to the vet and we did a full blood work-up and everything was normal. My cat is 17 years old - would this have something to do with it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi I_elyse and welcome to the forums!

I think you should talk to your vet again. I haven't heard about anything similar, but as you say it's new and sounds as if she's in pain... it's worth checking.

Also, the fact that she's doing this after eating may also indicate some medical problem.

Do let us know of any new developments.

Anne

3darcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know what you mean beetle Kitty our cat lets us know when she feels its time to wake up. She will sit on my dresser looking down at me and sings me good morning.

She sure does her thing and if that does'nt work then she looks for anything she can slide with her paw and make it crash for the noise and a reaction good or bad but I'm up by then.

This is my fault I know because she knows morning means treats. I've spoiled her and thats just fine to her.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
After living with 2 other elderly cats and never saying a word for 5 years my Chamouti started talking up a storm after the other two passed away almost 2 years ago. He is no spring chicken himself at now 17 years and his vocalizing is very sweet. He also became very attached to me after being standoffish until the other two went to the rainbow bridge.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine talks a lot, mostly trills. One didn't say much when younger, but he seems to have learned that when the other talks, she gets more attention. So he talks a little. The third doesn't talk, but complains loudly when he wants something, say, when he wants me to feed him.

The three of them occasionally call spontaneously in the other part of the house. I figure they just want to know where I am. When they do that, I meow back to them and they stop or come to where I am.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Dude makes a kind of whirring noise all the time, a llittle chirr. He waks around the house chirring at us, at our other cat, at birds, at his food bowl, at the door to the balcony -- basically it's a running commentary about life. He started doing it three days after we adopted him, once he felt safe with us. It's very quiet, and quite charming. I think his previous people must have talked to him all the time.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been blessed with 2 talkative cats.. Artie was very talkative. We had conversations! nd I thought him to learn a couple of words---sounds weird, but I tried to put it towards his language. OUUNNNNNww. was out or open. ! He would tell me he wanted to go out on my balcony. Of course he learned, "Nummy"..

Geoffrey, is ridiculously talkative. I cannot shut him up.. He is very a very timid, anxious cat.
He can go walking around, calling me.. We do have conversations.. but I really do not know what he is saying. I can guess.
Geoffrey calls me!! He calls me, when he wants me.. He tells me when he poops or pees!!!

I can tell when he is not feeing well--he is so vocal, in calling for him Mama.. He has a different hrump when he wants something.. He calls the birds. He calls me when he wants to play...

He is really something. Some days, I cannot tell what he wants.. But once I figure it out, he will stop.. So I guess correctly.

Geoffrey has a very high pitched, soft cry---like a kitten. Sometimes I have to very nicely tell him to be quiet..

His voice is so soft, and high pitched that sometimes he opens his mouth for a big meow, and a partial squeak comes out!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah talks only when she has something to say (usually related to food).

Fancy walks around talking, walks past me, goes into another room and meows, walks into another room, meows, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
All of our cats, both past and present, have talked to us. Some more than others and Neely probably talked the most. She must have had a lot on her mind, lol. :biggrin: Carleton sounds like the Aflac duck when he talks.🐥

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two neutered boys. (Miles)is almost 4yrs. He’s the Black/White in inset photo. I bought him at 10 months. He’s generally pretty quiet except for when he thinks his Water Fountain needs cleaning, he's hungry or his Litter box requires scooping.
(Jackpot) is almost 3yrs. He’s quite the personality. Loves being the center of attention. Is also very talkative. He is the dominant of the two. I bought him at 3 months. We have daily talks about the squirrel that visits him through the window. It's really cute watching the squirrel eating field corn just inches away from the excited Jackpot.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lady is a floof calico. She is all female snd she loves walking on a harness and leash. She loves carrying around a fluffy lamb toy that is about the size of a kitten. She calls loudly with the lamb in her mouth! She takes it to the door every time she hears another cat outside and she loves to share the lamb with others. She also helps to rescue any kitten outside. You would never know now that she started out as a feral. She is very vocal and really sweet.