Taking your cat abroad

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever taken their cat (or any other animal) abroad? How did you do it?

I'm looking to move with my cat to England from Mexico this summer and figuring it all out is such a headache. There's so much information and there doesn't seem to be one central body that regulates it, it's all down to individual country and airline.

I've been looking at this site:

http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Passports/

Which seems to sell you the forms you need to do it yourself.

I've also looked at this site:

http://www.ipata.org/

Which has given me the details of some pet shipping companies who will apparently do it all for you. I've contacted the three shipping companies located in Mexico DF, but I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

And it doesn't look TOO hard to follow the DEFRA Pet Travel scheme. Which makes me think a shipping agent isn't really necessary.

I spoke to my local vet, who just told me to contact the airline to ask their requirements. But I don't have my ticket yet so I'm not even sure which airline it will be, although it'll probably be British Airways. But I can't book my ticket because I don't even know my dates, just that it'll probably be September.

And then I read about pet scams and now I'm terrified I'll just use a scam company. But doing it myself sounds so complicated and I might miss something and she'll get sent back to Mexico at the airport (or...I imagine...much worse).

I know some things. I know Mexico has a low incidence of rabies, which is good because she won't need quarantine. I know she needs an international microchip to be allowed in the UK. I know her microchip and vaccinations need to be carefully timed and that's hard to figure out. I also know a vet with a special certification has to fill out some forms.

I'm not moving for a few months but I need to get it all started now, especially as I have no idea how costly it'll be. Only I don't know where to start :/

I'd love to hear experiences of other people - if you've done this, how you did it, and how much you paid, how long the process took. Did you fly with your animals? How were they after their trip?

Thanks.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi I'm from England. Its very strict rules to bring your cat in to England. The rules have to be followed exactly otherwise your cat will be denied entry and will be quarantined for 6 months. :argh:

I have never done this myself but I know other people who have imported cats. You do have to use an approved airline carrier and certain routes. Also your cat can only enter the UK at certain airports.

I found some links that might help

www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/imports-exports/pets/

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/69502/pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk-120229.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only two airlines fly direct to the UK from Mexico - British Airways and Aeromexico, both are on the approved list and we'll definitely arrive at Heathrow, which is approved. Mexico is also on the list of approved non-EU countries.

Thanks for the links, I'd seen the first one but not that PDF. The checklist is very useful!

The people you know who imported cats - did they use a shipping company, or did they do it all themselves? Do you know how much they paid? Could you ask them?!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Only two airlines fly direct to the UK from Mexico - British Airways and Aeromexico, both are on the approved list and we'll definitely arrive at Heathrow, which is approved. Mexico is also on the list of approved non-EU countries.

Thanks for the links, I'd seen the first one but not that PDF. The checklist is very useful!

The people you know who imported cats - did they use a shipping company, or did they do it all themselves? Do you know how much they paid? Could you ask them?!
Yeah I will ask them and let you know ;)